You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Guardian Angel Or Coincidence?

Real Ghost Stories

Guardian Angel Or Coincidence?

 

This wasn't a very exciting or earth-shattering experience, but I firmly believe it was paranormal. I have a phobia of spiders. Not just a dislike, but a pathological fear. Other bugs I can handle, but spiders horrify me. This occurred a few years ago, sometime around the mid-90's. We lived in an older home (think faux wood paneling and shag carpets), although the home had a good feel to it and I never felt uneasy there.

One evening, I had returned home with my husband and was extremely tired. He went upstairs to grab a snack and talk to his parents and I went straight to our room, which was the largest bedroom downstairs in the half-finished basement. I was so tired I crashed on the bed face down and don't think I even took my shoes off. A few minutes later, I heard a scratching noise right next to where my head was. It sounded like it was just behind the faux wood paneling (we had no headboard and the mattress was pushed right up against the wall).

I was puzzled because, although we had mice previously, I hadn't seen a mouse or any mouse droppings for a long time and the scratching seemed too loud and too regular to be a mouse (they make more of faint, intermittent rustling noise). The sound of the scratching caused me to raise my head, and when I did I saw out of the corner of my eye a dark shadow moving a few feet to the right of me in the corner of the room. I pushed myself up on my knees thinking it was a mouse and within a split second the largest, harriest spider I have ever seen (this thing was the size of a CD or DVD, legs included) moved across my pillow right where my head had just been. If I had not heard that scratching and gotten up, it would have run right across my head.

I was utterly terrified (first and only time in my life I have actually whimpered), but managed somehow to get that spider into a box and out of the house. I knew I had to or I'd never sleep in that room again, and killing it was not an option as it was on my soft pillow.

I never did see any sign of mice after that incident, and do not believe the scratching was caused by a mouse. I believe it was a guardian angel or spirit saving me from having that spider in my hair. The last I saw of it, it was running towards the neighbours' house, which was under construction. For all I know, it still resides there and is now the size of a bull mastiff.

As for the type of spider, we don't have many large species on the south coast of B.C. It could have been a wolf spider (which have a nasty bite) or perhaps somebody's escaped tarantula, although that doesn't seem very likely. It was almost that big, though.

Other hauntings by lsandhu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lsandhu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GreyFeather (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-07)
I guess now you wish you'd have kept a mouse around the house-they eat insects (large ones too). Anyway, I'm very happy for you that it didn't get to crawl on you. The thought of it is scarier than any ghost!
Believe_1234 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
Omg! I, like you have a huge fear or spiders and it's gotten worse through the years, I can handle very little spiders but no way can I handle huge or even big spiders so congrats to you on getting that thing out of there by yourself. I would have screamed and ran and got my husband if I was you lol. Thanks for sharing your story, I think it was someone letting you know to get up.
ada (4 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-14)
I am terrified of spiders I mean I have passed out before when one got on me. They have 8 limbs! That is for more than us! I don't know about it being a angel that sounds demonic! For real... I will look more into it... But I won't look to much...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
Hahaha Isandhu, I love to read a story every now and then with a differant paranormal twist to it. I am glad you did hear the scratching to wake up in time, I am not a fan of spiders much either and as Shellzy has mentioned we do get some big dirtbag spiders round here. I enjoyed reading this! 😊 😁

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
Hi Isandhu

I think sometimes we just know in our gut that an experience has more to it than meets the eye and I think this is one of those times. You very well may have had a guide or someone looking over you to prevent that nasty little critter crawling on you... Uggh!

I have to say in Australia we get some grand ol daddy spiders, not uncommon to have huntsman's with a leg span of a large male hand roaming around the house lol

😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Isandu, one thing I've found about this site and come to love (most of the time 😉), is the knowledge that I'm not alone in what I've dealt with. Even when it's something that I think no one else in the whole world could understand, or has ever experienced, here I have found at least one person who has experienced it and a whole bunch of others who understand.

That alone makes this place worth coming back to, even on it's worst day ❤
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Thank you for the link, Miracles. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
Isandhu - I believe you and I'm sure there are many other members here who do also. Sometimes we get our help in very odd and mysterious ways, don't we?

Just so you know you're not alone, here's one story I thought you might like to read: http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=11465

As I was reading your story, I thought of BadJuuJuu 😊
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-04)
I know it sounds crazy, but I am convinced the scratching was paranormal in origin. As for the size of the spider, I'm sure that had a natural explanation.
feastlikelions (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-03)
lol, here I am wishing to read a paranormal story. And I come across this one. I believe this story should be on national geographic. That sounded like one large arachnid. 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: