You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Angel, Or Something Else?

Real Ghost Stories

Angel, Or Something Else?

 

Back in the early 1990s angels were all the rage. You couldn't go into a store without finding a stand on the counter with guardian angel pins. Everyone wore them on their jackets. In fact, I still have one attached to an old sweater. At the time, there were many books out about angels and some of these books contained stories of people who had experiences with them.

I was given a book about how to contact an angel. In hindsight, this was not a good idea. What I contacted was most likely not anything odd.

However, this seem like a neat thing to do at the time. I was in my early 20s and just happen to be home alone. Not sure where my boyfriend or roommates were but this seem like a good time to try this. I don't recall 100% what the instructions were but I remember there was some type of incantation you had to recite. I had a notebook in my lap and a pen ready, based on the instructions in the book. I started the incantation and waited...nothing. Suddenly thoughts started coming into my head and I started writing them down. Now, I don't know for sure if this was my mind making this stuff up but the sentences were rhyming! I asked the angel its name and was given a response.

Moments later the energy in the room shifted. I started to feel overwhelmed, like something very large was in the room with me. At the time I had an oak dresser and the wood started making popping sounds. I started to see a gold glittering as if someone was dropping glitter from the ceiling. Instead of feeling some sense of peace, I was terrified! I begged whatever it was to go away because it was scaring me. I had the master bedroom at the time and entered the bathroom right off of it. I stood in front of the sink with my eyes closed and continued to beg for whatever was there to go.

Without warning I felt something cold touch the center of my back, right between the shoulder blades. Then it was gone. The room returned to normal and I didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. I took a big breath of relief. My back still felt cold so I lifted my shirt up and was horrified to see a large purple oval in the center of my back. It didn't hurt. It just looked like a giant purple bruise. Needless to say, I was feeling quite unsettled for some time to come. I never tried to summon an angel (or anything for that matter) again and eventually got rid of the book.

So, what was really there? Was it an angel, ghost, demon? I will never know for sure. Later on in the day I told my boyfriend at the time what had happened. I mentioned the mark on my back. When I went to show him, of course it was gone.

Other hauntings by DreamBird

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DreamBird, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-04-15)
Also looking at the word, Barbara Mandrell the country singer did that song, "Angel in Your Arms" on her album "Midnight Angel" in 1976. Might be reaching to think your angel listens to country, but might that have any significance to you? You probably saw that when you googled. I used Duck Duck Go to see if anything else would pop...
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-04-15)
DreamBird --
Do you think the word might've been "mandorla"? Here's what I found in Encyc. Brittanica:

Mandorla, (Italian: "almond"), in religious art, almond-shaped aureole of light surrounding the entire figure of a holy person; it was used in Christian art usually for the figure of Christ and is also found in the art of Buddhism. Its origins are uncertain. The Western mandorla first appears in 5th-century mosaics decorating the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome, where it surrounds certain Old Testament figures.

By the 6th century the mandorla had become a standard attribute of Christ in scenes of the Transfiguration (in which Christ shows himself to his Apostles transformed into his celestial appearance) and the Ascension (in which the resurrected Christ ascends to heaven) and, later, in other scenes involving the resurrected or celestial Christ, the death of the Virgin (in which, having descended from heaven, Christ stands by the deathbed of his mother), the descent into limbo, the Last Judgment, and the nonhistorical theme of Christ in majesty. In the late Middle Ages the mandorla also occasionally enclosed the Virgin in scenes of the Last Judgment and of her Assumption into heaven, reflecting her increased popularity.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-04-15)
Oh and side note for Pelatiah, I did google that name and came up with no direct matches. But there is a tool called a Mandrel used in jewellery making, among other things. Google thought I meant that. 😳
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-04-15)
DreamBird, I'm probably way off here but maybe whatever/whoever you contacted was attempting to give you angel wings? Maybe it misinterpreted the request? It touched you between the shoulder blades, leaving a sizeable mark. 🤔 That incantation followed by rhyming (automatic writing perhaps?) seems like you stumbled onto a kind of initiation spell and one that instantly worked! But really not great if you didn't intend it.

I remember all the new age and angel stuff of the nineties. I think a lot of that stuff was published by folks who had no idea what they were doing unfortunately. Not to throw shade on the good publications, there were many of them too.

The popping sounds seem to go with a presence, lots of encounters on YGS with popping sounds. I've wondered if it's a change in air pressure too.

Thanks for sharing another thought provoking encounter.
Jamil90 (1 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-01-13)
Hi there,

That must have been terrifying, make no mistake, that was a demon, not an angel, you can't sommon angels, it's impossible, angels do not have free will, that was a jinn (genie)
frangelica1 (40 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2022-12-19)
Hi Dreambird,

I really enjoyed reading your experience and can understand you being scared. I hope I Can ease your mind somewhat.

I do feel that you were visited by an Angel, Archangel or a high level spirit guide. I have had many experiences with Angels and very high level spirit guides. Typically, when you see sparkles or lights like sparklers that is a sign of an Angel. Even the Archangels are known by the color lights shown.

It is also not unusual to feel a heavy presence in the room like you are having trouble breathing or feeling a strong pressure in the air when you are visited by a spirit. For instance, I have had experiences with Archangels visiting me and my main spirit guide who is Jesus Christ being nearby, that I can tell you that the atmospheric pressure does increase making it difficult to breathe. I am sure you were in the company of an Angel or spirit guide.

Also, in regards to feeling the cold touch, I experienced similar when I have been hugged by 2 spirits, the spirit of a man that was murdered that came to me for help and my husband who died this year trying to comfort me. Even if you can't see them, you actually feel a chill when they hug you because they draw energy from the atmosphere to be able to do some of these things.

The last item I wanted to touch on is the purple mark left on your back where you were touched. Purple is the sign of God and or a higher level spirit and I think that mark was left for you so that you knew you were touched by someone from God! I find that truly beautiful that they were trying to ease your mind. I hope some of this info helps explain some of what you experienced and that you realize that you were blessed with a good visitation and you need not remain in fear of it. Be happy because you were truly blessed!
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
 
1 year ago (2022-12-19)
Ah, I commented on your other story asking you about angels then found this story--hmmm, about angels! I remember how big they were in around 1994, as my husband had just passed & I was very into the idea of them.

I was painting my guest room a couple years back, around this time of year, listening to Christmas music on the Alexa. I was contemplating things (like the angel I've since decided or suspect watches over me). I asked out loud, "Are you with me, Angel?" I was literally on a ladder... All of a sudden the song from "Mame" came on, the lyrics of which say,"I need a little angel, sitting on my shoulder... I need a little Christmas now." It was STUNNING how that song was apparently playing & the timing of that line was like an answer. It was a huge moment for me. I had to climb down. Then of course you question whether you really heard it. But I think you go with your first intuition.

Someone brave might google that name you got, but caution is a good thing when we don't understand what we're dealing with, imo.
BaiAnina (3 stories) (41 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2022-12-17)
Hey Dreambird.

That definitely sounded like an interesting experience... Perhaps it really was an angel. I firmly believe that not all overwhelming feelings of fear are... A bad thing, essentially. After all, in Christianity, the angels of the old texts would say "be not afraid". And it's probably for good reason. If it left you alone after and never came back, I highly doubt it was something malevolent. ❤
Rajine (14 stories) (777 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-15)
Hi DreamBird

I'm not sure what you summoned, but I do believe that there are higher beings out there that watch and protect us, angels or guardians, I'm not sure.

You mentioned that you felt fear, it's natural to feel that way when you are dealing with the unknown, but I feel that whatever you encountered wasn't malevolent, if it was, it would have done more than just give you a creepy vibe and a mark on your back.
DreamBird (7 stories) (25 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2022-12-14)
Hi Manafon1,
Thanks for your comments. I wasn't sure if this story would be published or not where it had to do with angels. I've wondered if the popping sounds have something to do with a change in the air due to something being nearby. Anyway, that is a really neat encounter you had by your teacher's visit. I had one recently from my partner who passed from an accident this past May. I heard his voice as clear as day. I'm happy for these experiences.

I don't remember much of the actually conversation I was writing down. I do recall it being somewhat playful sounding and what got me was everything rhymed! I am no poet so it was like automatic writing. The name that it gave me, and I will never forget this, is Mandrol. I had a hard time writing it out because it still makes me uncomfortable.

I was told by someone at some point that the mark in between my shoulder blades was from the tip of a wing touching me. I have no idea really.

Thanks again for commenting!

-DreamBird
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2022-12-14)
Hi Dreambird--Your account was most interesting. I don't know exactly what you were making contact with, but you were doing a good job! I wanted to comment because of the popping noise you noted. Several years ago, a teacher and mentor of mine passed away. She was like another mother to me, and one day, as I sat reading in my living room, the cord for the blinds of my sliding door started swinging wildly, like someone was trying to get my attention. I stood up and walked towards it, and as I did so, the couch I had been sitting on started making these loud popping sounds.

I knew instantly that it was my teacher paying me a visit. In your case, it definitely seems like a spirit was paying you a visit, but as you didn't have a feeling for who or what it might be, it overwhelmed you. I'm curious if you remember any of the things you wrote down and what the name was. Whatever was there really wanted you to know it wasn't your imagination and the purple bruise seems to confirm that. That it didn't harm you seems to suggest whatever was there was benevolent but your reaction is completely understandable. Thanks for sharing your very interesting account.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: