You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Strange Coincidence Or Something Else?

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Coincidence Or Something Else?

 

In 2007 I was going through a very rough time, due to a severe anxiety disorder that I have. One day I was trying to distract myself from the obsessive worry and went online to look at wallets, as mine was falling apart. I've always loved those little inexpensive brocade wallets and billfolds with the bright colors, so I was checking some out on Ebay, and finding it an enjoyable distraction. Then the anxiety intruded full force, and I stopped browsing, thinking that it was silly of me to try to distract myself from the things that were causing panic. Anyone who suffers from chronic anxiety will be familiar with how intense it can get if you 'dare' to try to relax or enjoy something. So I walked away from the laptop and went out the door to run some errands.

The house I lived in at the time had a large flower box in front, with some plants with long green fronds. I glanced over at the flower box as I walked past it, and nestled in the fronds of one of those plants was a little red brocade coin purse. My jaw sort of dropped, because I thought at the time, 'What a strange coincidence that the little purse was probably tossed in there, maybe by a little girl in a stroller or something like that, right around the time I'd been looking at little brocade purses.' I remember that I took it out of the fronds and placed it on the flower box itself (the box faced the sidewalk), on the off chance that whoever had lost or thrown it might pass by again and retrieve it. It was gone pretty soon after that, though I can't remember how soon. I never looked inside the purse. It was so tiny and light that it was probably empty anyway. Not even big enough to hold anything other than a few coins. But it just didn't feel right to look inside it, though I have no idea why.

A few years later when I got interested in reading about signs from loved ones who have passed, I started to think about the possibility of a normal thing happening (a little girl tossing a purse into a plant) with the significance of *when* it happens maybe not being just coincidence after all. Because when I first saw that purse, even though my mind took the logical route about how it got there, something in me also felt comforted quite a bit, like 'somebody' was trying to tell me that things were okay, that it was okay to enjoy life.

Other hauntings by VeronicaMarie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VeronicaMarie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-05-16)
Thank you so much, blckwdnsdy and Logan.

Blckwdnsdy, you are so sweet to be concerned about my anxiety. I am doing better than I was back then. I figure that 'we all got something,' and mine is being a neurotic. 😁
blckwdnsdy (6 stories) (32 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-16)
Hello 😊

I strongly believe that our lost loved ones or even different energies or entities can give us signs from time to time. I came to the conclusion that nothing can be named "coincidence". The Universe is givin us signs and whether we believe in them or not, they still exist.

I know that it is quite customary for spirits to leave these kind of signs in some parts of the world and I do not think that this lore just rose out of nowhere. I strongly think it is based on the true nature of survival after death.

I find this story magical event though I am sad when I read about someone's problems. I hope you are ok now.

Thank you for sharing this experience.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-06)
VeronicaMarie,

This is such a nice experience to share, especially in times as now when everywhere we go there is only unhappy stories. Thank you for putting it up.

Cheers,
Logan
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-05-04)
Tweed and VeronicaMarie,

I love the idea of getting a similar brocade purse to keep as something to help you feel better. Since I do believe that your experience goes beyond mere coincidence, I think that just having that little purse, in the future, would be a very strong symbol and help you to remember the calming feeling that you had on that day.

***

It's okay about the points. There are some people I can't upvote, no matter how long I wait. In the past, Rook has said something like: "a good comment will stand on it's own merit." I do like reading comments to me that say that I have been helpful. I also am happy to know where they come from. Thank you!

- Maria
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-04)
Thank you so much, Tweed, and I am very glad that your anxiety has become more manageable. I really like your idea of thinking about the wallet when panic is flaring up. Replacing one thought with another. I am definitely going to keep that in mind. I don't have a brocade wallet right now, but I think it would be a good idea to get one. Thank you again for your kindness, and take good care.

P.s. I've had that same thing happen when trying to upvote LeaLeigh, and today it happened with Silverthane. Some sort of glitch or something?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-05-04)
VeronicaMarie, thanks heaps for sharing this!

I wonder all sorts of things about these little coincidences but I think you did the right thing by following your feelings, not opening it, leaving it there.
I have also had severe anxiety, chronic panic disorder for about a year. Overcame it with CBT. But I remember what intrusive thoughts were like. I still have them today, but mildly and manageable. I now believe anyone who goes through any anxiety disorder ultimately comes out stronger and wiser. Hey, it gives you more depth as a person.

Maybe those brocade wallets could be a personal symbol for you. Like during stressful times think of that day and those wallets in general. Do you have one now?

Lealeigh, I can never vote you up, but I liked your comment!
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-05-01)
Maria, you are so right about me not wanting to mislead myself. And your message and the way you took time to think about it really touched my heart, and helped me see that maybe it's okay to simply believe in a sign, instead of the constant second-guessing that I tend to do. Thank you so so much.

And silverthane and Aline, thank you so much too for your kindness and insights. I would like to be able to fully accept things as signs for myself, the way I can for other people. And your comments make me think that really is possible.
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-01)
Hello VeronicaMarie,

Hope you're doing well. I've always enjoyed reading your accounts. Most of them have a pleasing positive vibe to them, which often makes my day.

"If coincidences happen much then it is destiny"

This is one heck of a dialogue my husband teases me with. But I believe it stands true in your case. Coincidence or not it was something soothing especially for you dealing with anxiety issues at that time.

Certain things happen when we expect them the least. At least it was a worthy experience to browse for wallet.

Thanks for sharing

Have a good day/night

Peace
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-05-01)
Someone once said, "there are no such things as coincidences." I do not know who said it and I personally don't know if I agree with the statement. But in this case, it makes more sense that the purse was put there for a specific reason. If the owner came by and retrieved it, or if it was taken in some other way, that does not in any way detract from the fact that you were, indeed, comforted by it. And isn't it just a much more wonderful world when we accept that things like that could happen?
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-05-01)
Hello VeronicaMarie,

I think that it would be an amazing coincidence that the little brocade purse was lodged in your flower box at that specific time, if I were you. Too amazing. Perhaps you are right about it being a sign.

- You were trying to calm yourself down by looking at the same kind of purse online.

- Anxiety took over and you gave up trying to feel better.

- When you left, you saw the brocade purse.

You should not feel silly about thinking that you can overcome your anxiety. That is the road to self defeat. If seeing the purse was enough to comfort you, then I think it is a sign. The part of you that tries to pick apart this experience with logic is probably just a natural reaction. When a "message" comes in this way, you want to know that it is real; and that you are not misleading yourself.

I think it is too much of a coincidence.

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: