You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Happenings In Bury St Edmunds

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Happenings In Bury St Edmunds

 

The story I'm about to tell you happened in the 70s but I have never forgotten about it, and to this day, June 2012, I still often think about it.

I lived in a council house at BURY ST EDMUNDS SUFFOLK, I lived there with my three sisters, and my nephew who was mentally challenged, he was thirteen at the time.

Strange things started to happen, taps would turn on by themselves, the kettle would boil when nobody had turned it on, lights would go on and off.

One night we were all sitting in the kitchen, there was a sack of potatoes in the corner and all of a sudden the potatoes started jumping out of the sack, one by one! We could not believe our eyes.

My nephew started to complain about his bedroom, he would not sleep, he said an old man kept sitting on the end of his bed. Now we knew he was telling the truth. Because of his condition he was not capable of telling lies, and he used to get very upset about it.

Things began to get worse, one night I was laying in bed when what sounded like pebbles/small stones were thrown at my window. I screamed, my dad ran outside into the back car park and there was no one around. I got back into bed, I had a record player by my bed on a table, suddenly the lead on the record player suspended in mid air as if being held by someone then dropped to the floor, and a photo in a frame that I had on the dressing table, of a friend who had died in a car crash I hasten to add, fell to the floor.

Doors in the house started to get stuck. If you went to the loo or bathroom you could not get out, it would almost be like someone was on the other side pulling the handle, keeping you in.

It got to the point where I actually hated going upstairs afraid of what I might see.

One weekend my family were going away, my boyfriend and I were obviously pleased about this! Well what was supposed to be a romantic weekend turned into a nightmare!

Doors slammed, lights went on and off, we heard noises. In the end we were so scared we got up in the middle of the night and went to a friends.

One night my mother saw a figure in a cloak in the alley beside our house.

The events stopped as suddenly as they started, nothing ever happened again. Years later when I think about it, I have come to the conclusion that we had a poltergeist. I've read somewhere that they are attracted to certain people comming into puberty and I think maybe my nephew was the attraction.

I don't live in that town anymore, but whenever I visit if I pass that house I feel a chill go up my spine. I am curious if the people that live there have ever experienced anything strange happening? I have NEVER forgotten it, and my family often talk about it all these years later.

Other hauntings by tweety5

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tweety5, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-14)
I agree with Spider and Jav. This sounds exactly like poltergeist activity to me. I'm glad it stayed at that house.

Thank you for sharing
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-14)
You are probably correct in your assessment of it being poltergeist activity. I have to agree with you about these memories staying with you after all these years. Some things are just unforgettable! However, I wouldn't be so quick as to lay it at your cousin's feet just yet. More often than not, it is the female of the house that is the basis for poltergeist activity. You had sisters as well. Put all of that together and you do have the makings of a poltergeist soup! 😜
Thank you for sharing tweety5, I hope we will be hearing more from you in the future. Welcome to YGS.

Jav 😊
SpiderZA (2 stories) (81 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-14)
I think your suspicions are correct. Glad the happenings stopped before anything bad happened.

Spider

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: