You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Little Girl In The Doorway

Real Ghost Stories

The Little Girl In The Doorway

 

I am a home carer.

One night shift I had to care for an old lady in her own home. She lived in a modern, one bedroom ground floor flat. It had been a very quiet night so I sat in the arm chair facing the door and put my feet up.

The front room light was off where I sat but the room was not dark as the hall/passageway light was on enabling me to see the old lady sleeping peacefully in her bed. I was NOT asleep. I happened to look up and in the doorway stood a shape; I was shocked and sat forward to have a better look. It was a little girl standing in the doorway dressed in a white or pale dress staring at me. What shocked me was her hair, it was sticking out all over the place, and was tied up in what looked like rags, and she looked like the MEDUSA! I actually pinched myself to make sure I was really awake and seeing this. I was so scared, I even spoke to her, I feel embarrassed now but I asked her if she was alright. I wanted to hear my own voice to reassure me that I was actually awake and seeing this. It seemed like ages, but was probably only moments that she stood there staring at me. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up! I was absolutely terrified. Very slowly she started to fade and eventually disappeared altogether. I just sat there in shock! Then jumped up and turned every light on in the flat. I was left feeling very sad for some reason and could not wait for the nightshift to end.

In the morning the old ladies daughter came to take over. I was not going to mention what happened but I felt so scared and upset that she noticed something was wrong and I had to tell her, she was shocked! She explained that her mother had a little sister who had died as a child from TB and they used to tie her hair in rags to make it curl into ringlets. I was not aware of this procedure, I had never heard of it before.

Strangely enough the old lady passed away a few months after this event.

I wonder if it was her little sister paying her a visit.

Other hauntings by tweety5

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tweety5, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Hi tweety5

I can imagine how terrified you must have been at the time being presented with something so scary.

Medusa would be my first reaction also after seeing her hair sticking up in strange ways, especially since you had no idea that this was how ringlets were made on girls hair once upon a time.

Fergie and Miracles, I love the theory that the little sister was there to escort her big sister home. Beautifully said and it makes sense to me if her time on earth was only to be for a short while after the visitation.

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to add this to my favourites 😊
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Hey you guys! Haha I am going to start crying with all these emotional comments, well said though cause I agree 😭 😭 😭, oh I am just so sensitive, I do find myself welling up, (getting teary eyed) when I read some of these stories, some are lovely x
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Aww nice story, nice that her sister was paying her a visit, even though you were scared, I would have been too. Take care x
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
The little girl must have loved her sister (the old lady) dearly-may be she just felt like 'showing' herself to the one who was home-caring her (You!).

😊

May Both of them are at peace now...
b3liv3r1990 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
I truly think it was her sister waiting to take her home. She knew it was almost time.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Tweety - I'm going to agree with Fergie. Maybe the little sister was waiting to escort her big sister home. I also think if that is the case she was there more than the one time you saw her. (Fergie, I liked the way you said it, so I didn't see any reason to change it. Hope you don't mind 😊)

Many stories support the theory that our loved ones come back when we die. Some believe it's so we aren't afraid to cross over, others believe it to be "homecoming" of sorts, and still others have different beliefs. But regardless of the reason, I do believe our loved ones come when it's time for the next phase of our life.

Thank you for submitting your story 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Wow that would have scared me too. I don't know what it is about child ghosts but they totally freak me out. 😨 I agree that the lady's sister was visiting and preparing to help her move on. It is very touching when you think about it. ❤
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Scary, but beautiful story. Nice for the old lady to have her sister so close. Good that the daughter believed you and knew about the rags. Maybe, if you have the opportunity, perhaps you could ask to see a picture of the deceased girl? Maybe interesting to know for sure.
callthewind (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
That is scary, but touching. I applaud the way you handled it, especially when you asked the girl if she was okay. How lovely that she may have been watching over and waiting for her sister. I hope the older lady felt a sense of comfort from this.

Oh yes, I would sometimes wrap my hair in rags when I was young too. Learned about it in American Girl Magazine.
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
This is genuinely scary, but also - if Fergie's theory is correct, and I would bet it is - very sweet.

Thank you for sharing such a charming, but scary incident. Very well presented.

I hope the sisters are in peace now.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Hi tweety5,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I think that it must be doubly scary, when something like this happens in a 'stranger's' house.

I know exactly what you mean, when you say that the hair was done up in rags; my granny used to do that to me, when I was small. (very uncomfortable1)

I am going to pass on a suggestion, that was given to me by Miracles (one of our 'Mods'). Maybe, the little girl - the sister - was 'waiting' to escort her big sister 'home'?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: