You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hello Doggie

Real Ghost Stories

Hello Doggie

 

This experience happened to me when I was around 9 or 10 years old. I don't remember quite how old I was, but I remember every second of what happened that night.

Let me start by giving a little background of my parent's house. We were definitely not the first family that lived there. The house, when my parents had bought it, was about 120 years old (which is not uncommon for Sacramento, the city that I live in. The neighborhood we lived in was one of the oldest in the city, so I'm almost positive there has been a constant flow of families going in and out of that house.) The layout of the house is a typical 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom bungalow. My room was in the front of the house, to the left of the family room. There's a long hallway where the other rooms of the house broke off and at the end of the hall was the bathroom I shared with my siblings.

In addition to having a fairly modest house, we had the most extraordinary dog named Butterscotch (Scotch for short), who was a German Shephard and felt it was his personal duty to protect me day or night. He would typically sleep either in my bedroom or in the family room right outside my door, always staying as close as can be.

One night, in the very dark of night, I had to get up to go to the restroom. Pretty typical for me because, like every kid, I would ignore my urge to go to the restroom for as long as possible (because why waste precious playtime, right?). Anywho, I get up to go and I hear the clanking of Scotch's nails on the hardwood floors following me down the hall to the restroom. Even though it was ridiculously dark, I knew better than to turn on any of the hallway lights so I stumbled here and there but eventually got to my destination.

After washing my hands, I flip off the restroom light and open the door and begin to head back to my room. Just as I passed the turn off for the basement, I see Scotch laying in the middle of the hallway floor. I thought that maybe my eyes finally had adjusted to the dark because I could see him laying there, plain as day. I told him to go ahead back to the room but he just laid there. After about a minute of trying to get him to move, I step over him and call him to come back to bed.

I go probably 20 feet down the hallway when I see something coming at me from the living room. I freeze, adjust my sight and realize I'm staring at Scotch. It takes me no less than 2 seconds to fly down the hall, back into my bed, covers pulled tightly over my head! I realized fairly quickly that, although he was a great guard dog, speed and stealth were never his strong points. It would have been impossible for him to get back in front of me without me either hearing him or at least catching a glimpse of him.

I still remember what the dog looked like, too. It had this green, kind of glowing outline to him about I could clearly see that he was a smaller dog, possibly a pitbull. How I ever managed to confused a smaller, 50lbs at best dog for my 80lbs Scotch, I will never know.

A couple of years after this experience (I never told anyone ANYTHING about that night. I didn't think anyone would believe me. Heck, I didn't even believe what I had seen!), we were cleaning out the basement of the house. The basement was sectioned into two parts, a normal basement and a dirt part that had been previously used as a wine cellar that we used for storage. While cleaning that area, I came across some bones! I'm almost positive that they belonged to the dog that I'd seen. They were too large to be a rat or a cat or something like that.

I don't think I have really ever talked about that night to anyone, mainly because most people don't believe animals have spirits and energies just like you or I. But I KNOW that they do!

Other hauntings by Kimmie_Ann

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kimmie_Ann, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kimmie_Ann (3 stories) (14 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-01)
Creepydog: no, just a few pieces. From what I could tell, there was a leg and part of the pelvic/spinal area. The bones had definitely been there for a while. Thinking back now, that is if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, it definitely didn't look normal. It was glowing and greenish but at the same time, had definitive features. It really did fool me at the time.
creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
Well... Did you find ALL the bones? Because
You can un jumble it that way. Put all the bones
In the right place to make a Skelton. Did the dog
(not Butterscotch the other one) seem ghoshtly
To you or just a normal dog? Hope this helps
Keep me posted!
Kimmie_Ann (3 stories) (14 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
BunnyPanda: I buried them in the dirt part and never spoke of them!

Faith24: How awesome is it that you can still have your dog around! I wonder from time to time if my dogs now love me enough to stay around me if they pass away. Kinda morbid, I know.

I didn't add this to the story but I'll write it here. From time to time, we would faint barking coming from the basement, even when Scotch was sitting right next to someone. But, its hard to say that it was the dog I seen that night or possibly a neighborhood dog or something, so take that with a grain of salt!
faith24 (5 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
I completely believe you. Just to let you know my golden died years ago in 2002 I still see her from time to time in the drive way keeping watch. We have also had times where we know a missterious yellow dog has chased people away from the house...lol... She always was a good gard dog. You ghost dog may prove to be handy too
BunnyPanda (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
I believe that animals can be ghost too yet I wonder... What did you do to the bones? O______o

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: