You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Hello Kitties

Real Ghost Stories

Hello Kitties

 

They were my children's furry playmates, companions of their games and patient listeners to bed time stories.

We adopted Poem from the SPCA. A sweet calico turtle shell girl of gentle nature and soft meows. Friendly and motherly, she would lick the face of any cat that came close to her, somehow she knew how to be a queen without acting strong, all the cats respected her. She was the same with us humans, didn't really have a favorite and would curl up on anyone's lap when we were watching TV.

White Socks came a couple of years later, he was a skinny and hungry tuxedo stray looking for a place to belong. He didn't mind not to be the alpha male, he didn't bother to fight Tom for the top position of the family cathood. He was loving and easygoing, he used to move his tail twitching it like a rattle snake.

He got attached to my son and pretty much moved into his room. He learned to climb the ladder of the loft bed and slept there every night.

Time went by and my children grew up, during those years several cats came and went from our lives. Tom died and we adopted Skittle from some friends whose house burnt to the ground. Both Poem and White Socks accepted her as their little sister but she became White Socks' playmate... Actually his bully since she had shared her early days with a puppy and got used to playing rough.

We moved to a new house that came with a cat, Mishifu, a solid black girl that belonged to the previous owners of the house but choose to stay with us instead of following her previous family to the new house they built adjacent to ours.

Poem and White Socks had no problem adopting a new sister, but Skittle and Mishifu haven't learned to get along even after six years living together.

My kitties grew old, little by little they began sleeping longer hours, lost weight and became slower. White Socks began protesting Skittle's attacks, he made it clear that he wasn't enjoying her games anymore.

Poem got dental problems and oral surgery when she was around fourteen or fifteen years old. Though it helped her, she was left with bad breath for the rest of her life.

But they were still in good health.

Nevertheless, we came to the realization that our time with them was nearing and got ready to say goodbye, or so we thought.

One day in April 2021 White Socks stopped eating, he lost even more weight and seem to be always cold. There was nothing else to do other than trying to make him feel loved and comfortable.

I knew it was time to let him go and informed my family, by those days all of them were working away from home. My son asked to wait and let him see his kitty one more time.

I made the appointment for next day after my son's arrival. He got home and had to dig a grave for his beloved cat, he dug it in the yard very close to his bed, separated only by the wall.

On April 20th, 2021, I met my children at the vet's office. They had been planning a trip before we knew that that would be our kitty's last day.

It was a sunny day and the sky was bright and blue, in contrast to the shadows that covered our hearts.

Thanks to the still in place COVID restrictions, only one person was allowed to be with White Socks at his last moments. We agreed that my son should be the one to hold him to the end. My daughter and I waited in the parking lot with our eyes full of tears and hugging each other.

Few minutes later my son came out of the office, holding a little box with the body of our boy. We hugged each other tightly holding the box and cried for a long time... It wasn't easy to think that, after seventeen or so years, White Socks wouldn't be with us any more.

My kids hit the road on their way to Vancouver, and I headed home with the box holding my baby on the passenger seat. I talked to him all the way, thanked him for the years of unconditional love he gave us, and asked him to let me know when he was with Tom.

Once I got home, I took my boy out of the box, his body and tail were limp. I set him in the hole and covered his body with dirt, then planted an iris plant on his grave.

One month later I had a dream in which my children were still little and we were still living in the house at the bottom of the hill. We went to the deck but instead of the familiar long and steeped driveway flanked on both sides by evergreens and cherry trees, there was a tropical forest of bright trees no taller than the level of the deck, in which several dozens of cats of all colours and sizes were doing all sorts of cat activities. Some were chasing each other, others were grooming themselves under a sunny spot, others were sleeping lazily on branches or on the ground.

Then I saw a grey cat coming from the right side of the inexistent driveway, we made eye contact and I knew it was Tom. Seconds later a lustrous tuxedo came running and jumped to Tom's back biting the scruff of his neck, he too made eye contact with me and I knew he was White Socks showing me that, after crossing Rainbow Bridge, he finally was friends with Tom.

I woke up happy to know that my cats are together in such a beautiful place.

In November of that same year, we adopted another tuxedo, Ella, an adult female that had no trouble adopting my son as her human and moving into his room.

My son says that one night he felt and heard a cat purring by his side, he thought it was Ella but then he opened his eyes and saw her sleeping on the windowsill, about 5 feet away from his bed.

Another time Ella was beside his head and he felt something walking by his feet and saw Ella perking up her ears and following something invisible with her eyes, then a book that had been leaning against the wall fell for no apparent reason.

Fast-forward to late May 2022, Poem began loosing weight and missing the litter box, she would go to the basement and would began meowing in a sorrowful and loud way, it made me think that she didn't know were she was and couldn't find her way around the house. Then she scared me badly a couple of times in which she was sleeping and woke up shaking and trashing in a strange way, once she fell into the water bowl and another time she fell off the deck's stairwell. This made me decide that it was time to let her go before she got worse.

I called the vet's office and, the dreaded day I fed her a can of her favorite wet food, brushed her thinning coat under the sunshine and hugged her many more times. She entered the carrier without complaining and sat happily at my side on the way to the vet's.

Once there she fought angrily when my daughter wrapped her in a blanket, probably thinking that we were trying to clip her claws, then they injected a sedative but had problems finding a good vein to inject the final solution since her old little veins would collapse every time the needle enter. They took her to a back room to inject her directly into the heart.

Then they brought her to us and I drove home and buried her beside White Socks. It was June 22nd, 2022, just four months short of the 23rd anniversary since we adopted her.

I asked her to let me know when she is with her siblings. So far I haven't seen her with Tom and Socks, but I have dreamed of her, every time she is healthy and looks happy, sometimes I have been aware that she is dead and am afraid to touch her and see her disappear, but I have been able to feel her soft fur too.

One day I was napping and heard Poem's soft purring ending on a whistling sound, I woke up and even smelled a whiff of her bad breath.

I don't know if these were only dreams or if my kitties came to visit, but it was nice to see them again... I just hope that Skittle, Ella, Mishifu and Monkey, will get along one day, even if I'm not there to see them.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by lady-glow

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lady-glow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
3 months ago (2024-01-17)
Hi Arturo.

Welcome to YGS and thanks for reading my story.
Our Pets have a big impact on our lives and I'm sure they come to check on us every so often. Their visitations are always a bittersweet experience.

What was the name of your previous kitty?
Arturo (3 posts)
+3
3 months ago (2024-01-17)
Hello - I totally believe your cat is visiting you as this has happened to me too, my cat died few years ago and sometimes I feel it jumping onto my bed. We do have a cat now so I think "it must be Kira", but when I look, nothing is there.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
3 months ago (2024-01-12)
Hi Val.

Quoting Tamora Pierce in "Trickster's Choice":

"Curiosity killed the cat," Fesgao remarked, his dark eyes unreadable.
Aly rolled her eyes. Why did everyone say that to her? "People always forget the rest of the saying," she complained. "'And satisfaction brought it back."

I guess that's their way to say "thanks for the good times we had together".
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+6
4 months ago (2024-01-10)
lg - I had to wait to comment because misty eyes makes for many, many typos. People say cats don't care like dogs do, but they're wrong. Oh, sure they do what they want but they'll give affection to those they deem worthy.
I for one think your kitties do come check in on you now and then. Perhaps through your dreams, just like human loved ones are more apt to, when are minds are not so cluttered with 'reality' it either goes unnoticed or is shrugged off.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+2
4 months ago (2024-01-09)
Lovely Ladyglow,
It's a huge deal when you lose your furbabies. They say time makes it easier, but I disagree with that.
I wouldn't worry about Grammer too much. You only have to read my posts to see I'm the royal highness of errors and bad grammer. Lol
It's hard seeing without my specs and even harder with them on because I need them for distance not close vision. Lol
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
4 months ago (2024-01-09)
Hi CrimsomTopaz.

Thanks for your lovely comment. I sniffled while reading my narrative before pressing the 'submit' button... Now I realize that there are some grammar mistakes my tears didn't let me see.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
4 months ago (2024-01-09)
Hi Tweed.

Thanks for reading and commenting on my story.
As sad as going through these experiences was, there's something magical about them, since not only they have been a reassurance that death is not the end, but they've help me to go through a harder loss.

Sometimes I question if becoming a 'cat lady' was a good idea... I don't think I'll ever be ready to say goodbye to any of my other fur babies. In the meanwhile, I'm happy to have them around, even if they don't get along.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+3
4 months ago (2024-01-08)
Lovely Lady, That's heart breaking to read. I literally sniffled through the sad bits.
May they all RIP. You gave them love, nourishment, warmth, and a safe place to live. They'd be grateful and take that memory of kindness to the next realm.
I'm so sorry to read your kittens have been put to rest. That must have been a heart wrenching decision to make. Positive energy to you.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+7
4 months ago (2024-01-08)
Lady Glow, tissue warning!😢 Urgh bloody cats really get into your soul!

Over twenty is amazing for a cat. Pets always break our hearts but I don't think that's really the point. The joy and love we share with them is sooo, soo important and I think that's the key in your experiences with all your cats on the other side. It really speaks to your bond and openness to communication from the great beyond. I don't want others to read this and think they're somehow defective for not having a moment with a passed loved one because it's unique to all situations and individuals. Point I'm attempting to make is a theme through some of your experiences have been dreams and I'm sure they're not 'just dreams'. I think our furry friends like to touch base with us, death is not the end.

Thanks for sharing.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+5
4 months ago (2024-01-07)
Hi guys.

Thanks for reading my story and for your lovely comments.

RCRuskin.

Quoting Euripides: "Come back! Even as a shadow, even as a dream".
Seeing and holding a departed loved one is always a bittersweet experience, regardless of the how and where we get the chance to be together.

CantunSEEit.

I hope you get a chance to see your yorkies again. It's hard to say goodbye to a pet, but not even time can take away the moments we shared with them... If only they could live longer!

Rajine.

That's true. Ones heart breaks and hurts when a pet dies.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+5
4 months ago (2024-01-07)
If only our pets could talk, we'd never truly be alone... Losing a pet is no different than losing a family or friend, but they are in a better place now.
CantunSEEit74 (4 stories) (60 posts)
+5
4 months ago (2024-01-07)
Nothing worse than saying goodbye to our furry loved ones. Being there for that ending shot from the vet is heart wrenching but knowing the pain is gone now helps a little but doesn't stop our tears. We say our pets name out loud at least weekly that we love you and miss you, and that flashing picture frame where yorkies pictures flashes on many times a day. It's hard to read pet stories so thanks for sharing your family with us, all of them. I have had no dreams of my pets, but I hope they are playing in green fields. Great story
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+4
4 months ago (2024-01-07)
Twenty three, err, twenty one years is quite a long time! Please excuse me while I burst into song and then have a coughing fit because of nasal congestion.

Could be dreams, or shades of memories, but they are precious moments. Ghostly or just mundane, they are still special.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
4 months ago (2024-01-07)
Wow, that was fast!
A little correction, we had Poem for almost 21 years, not 23. I'm not sure how old she was at the time of her passing, we were told that her age was two or younger when we adopted her.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: