You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hello?

Real Ghost Stories

Hello?

 

After a divorce in 2003, I and my 2 children moved into a older mobile home, and had been told by a neighbor there were strange things that went on in it... And due to a couple of prior experiences (told in prior entries) I already knew.

My best friend Amy always seemed to have the "creeps" at my home so I spent a lot of time at her place. One night, while at her house, around 8:30 or so I called my number to check my phone messages. Now, usually I would have been prompted to press a certain number when the machine picked up in order to retrieve the messages. This time I was startled when someone picked up and said, "Hello?" I stumbled on my words from being caught completely off guard and said, "I have the wrong number." I tried again, fully expecting the machine to pick up. Again, (in a old raspy female voice), "Hello?" I hung up. Thinking I had dialed the number wrong, I laughed and said, "Amy, what's my darn phone number?" She laughed and recited it to me. I, in fact, had dialed the correct number.

I sat there in shock as I told her what had happened. She shook her head and dialed it herself. After a few seconds she said, "Who is this?" After second or two more she hung up, her eyes now as big as quarters. I knew she had gotten the same thing. She said, "Someone is in your house, and from the sound of it they need to lay off the smokes!"

We immediately got in the car and headed to my house. We were both shaking and were clueless on what to do when we got there. My heart was beating out of my chest. She pulled in the drive just about on two wheels... Turned off the car... And we just sat there. Everything looked normal but we were nervous about going in, but we knew we had to. My hands were shaking so bad I could hardly unlock the door, but managed to do so.

She went in first being she was the bravest. All lights were off except for the small lamp in the kitchen, just as I left it. A quick glance around and everything looked in order. Everything except the phone (cordless)...it wasn't on the base where I kept it. Instead, it was on the side table beside the recliner. Not so strange, right? I picked it up from the side table to return it to the base, and noticed it had been sitting on top of a Readers Digest from 1961. A READERS DIGEST! What 33 year old reads Readers Digest... Certainly not I, and from 1961? The creepy factor set in and we were gone in a heartbeat, leaving the Readers Digest where we found it. I spent the night at Amy's that night.

A couple of days later, I got the phone call I had been waiting for. Problem was, the person calling asked if I got the message to call him back. I said "No" that I had been checking my messages and didn't have one from him. His reply, "Oh, I didn't leave a machine message, I left it with your grandmother." You can imagine the feeling that gave me.

Other hauntings by KimmieWebb

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimmieWebb, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JennyB83 (12 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-09-30)
Great story! Very creepy! Yikes! Did you have anymore experiences with "grandma" answering your phone?
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
Holy cow, what an ending. So that guy thought it was your grandmother?!? Wow. Had you seen that readers digest magazine prior to the experience? I know there wasn't much significance to it but if have it ever seen it before, I'm wondering where it came from.
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Valkricry...No I can't recall any significance of the date 1961. At the time of the incident ALL of my grandmothers (3) were still living. I do remember seeing Readers Digest's at my great grandmothers home as a child, but she too was still living at that time. I am totally clueless as to the meaning behind it. I think my friend who left the message with my "grandmother" just assumed it was my grandmother. The voice Amy and I heard on the phone was very raspy and in fact DID sound sound like someone who had smoked for years and years. Not that every one who smokes sounds that way, but I'm sure you know the raspy sound I mean. Very baffeling to me too.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Well dang, Kimmie! Talk about freaky experiences!
I'm going to ask some real basic questions here. Probably things you already thought of but...
1) is the year 1961 significant to you or your family?
2) What about your grandma? Was she fond of the Digest?
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
babygoatpuller...LOVE that name by the way! Too cute! The Digest was still there when I returned home. I did look through it but the pages were so yellowed and crumbled some. Like an idiot... I tossed it. I could kick myself for doing that. I just remember wanting it gone. 🤔
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Kimmie- Well,...I have always thought "crazy" and "nuts" were fine qualities for a person to have. At least they never have bothered me. Normal is way too boring. LOL
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Wish-Not,
Thanks so much! I have lots of story's and it feels so good to be able to tell them to people who find them interesting and don't think I'm crazy. 😳 There was a time when I thought I (myself) was nuts. LOL
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Kimmie- Yep, you did it again. Great story. Had me going HOLY CRAP. It doesn't always have to be a FULL blown crazy clown, eerie old house type of thing.

Well written so easy to follow. Thanks, we have been needing some of these.

Keep them coming 😁
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
I'm wondering if the Digest had any significant meaning here KimmieWebb. Was it still there when you got back home? Did you look through it if it was? Great stories! Keep 'em coming. 😊
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Thanks so much Miacles51031! I have more to come. Yeah the Readers Digest still freaks me out. I totally agree about the ghosts being blown in with insulation. LOLOL
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
KimmieWebb - I've enjoyed reading all your stories to date, but this one especially. At first, I was trying to logically explain you and Amy both dialing the wrong number. Couldn't come up with anything other than crossed lines somewhere. But when your friend left a message with your "grandmother"? Yeah, that theory quickly flew out the window.

The Readers Digest was pretty freaky in itself. I've said it many times, I believe ghosts are blown in with the insulation in trailers 😆

Thanks for sharing this with us and I look forward to more, if you have them.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: