You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Parents' House: The Basement

Real Ghost Stories

My Parents' House: The Basement

 

My parents' house had all kinds of things happen within. This continues off from the first experience I had that I submitted here. My first experience with the paranormal is explained in my story "At My Parents' House."

As I have said, things would happen at my parents' house, which was built in the early 70's. My first time seeing and hearing a spirit (to my knowledge) came and went. A good amount of time went by without anything happening, the house being haunted was in the back of our minds. We stopped thinking or wondering about it.

As time went by, I had grown into my early teens, and my parents had another daughter who is my youngest sibling. With me wanting more privacy, my parents allowed me to move into the bedroom down in the basement as the new baby needed my old room that was closer to my parents' bedroom.

This was the biggest bedroom in the house, and I was stoked because I could play music and/or stay up late without disturbing anyone. The basement was rather large with a bedroom (mine), a laundry/utility room, a bathroom, and the main room used for a game room. My sister (the older of my two younger siblings, I'm the oldest) would always claim she felt like she was being watched. I thought nothing of it for a while.

About a year of living in that room, I started to feel something watching me as well. It felt very eerie. Sometimes the feeling would be stronger and other times not at all. Then one random time I came out of the room, I could clearly see the outline of a man. He stood across the main room on the other side of my dad's pool table, sort of like he was against the wall. He appeared as sort of an outline, dark looking, but looked more solid than a shadow. I could not see any details such as a face, but I could tell he was male and he was rather tall. He looked like he had a broad build, and he had pointed looking shoulders, like padded shoulders on a jacket you would wear with a formal suit.

At first, I felt a bit frightened. But seeing him standing there became almost a regular thing so eventually I got used to it. He wouldn't do anything really but stand there. Sometimes I would see him move his arms or head a little bit, sort of the fidgeting someone might do when they were bored. He wasn't there every time I looked over there, but when he was, I could clearly see his figure. Oddly enough, though I could feel myself being watched in the basement, my bedroom was the only place down there where I did not have that feeling. I always felt solitude in that room for some reason.

Now, for the part I think is strange. There would be times I would have this dream that I would go to where the figure was standing, but instead of finding him standing there I would find a secret room. Whenever I would get far enough in my dream to actually enter this room, I would feel nothing but unrelenting fear. I cannot understand why I would feel this way, as the room would always be an empty room. I had this dream several times and anytime I had this dream, if I came out of my bedroom for any reason (going to the bathroom, getting something to drink, etc.) I would see the figure of the man the clearest and the most potent. Even with the lights on he appeared as a dark figure.

I never dared go near there when I saw him standing there, but eventually at a time he was not there I decided to investigate. Naturally I didn't find a secret room there, seeing as how the house is laid out it would be impossible.

It has been some years since I have last seen him, but to this day I wonder what the significance of that certain area in the basement held. Also that dream I used to keep getting, it didn't make sense to me why I kept having it. The dream was extremely detailed and when I woke up from it, I know for a fact that I was awake.

Let me know what you all think. Please shed some light on why I had those dreams and why would that figure only occupy that one spot. Thank you all for reading, please let me know your thoughts on this!

Other hauntings by Shadow-VII

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shadow-VII, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

1324jojo (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-24)
do you know the history of your house? If not do some research or ask your parents. Your house may have an interesting history. I hope this advice can help you know a little bit more about your house and the shadow man πŸ˜‰
i_am_unknown (16 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-07-22)
A room could mean a coffin, raechel is thinking. Dreams never tell you the exact details. The man could be buried beneath the spot where he's standing. You should try communicating with him, like tap one, if he needs help, two if he wants to talk. Seeing him more than twice means something
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Fergie: LOL! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

That's all I was gonn'a say, but anyway, 50 characters
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Granny, I think...Um, I hope... I can make a deal with you. πŸ€” Remember the old saying... About Rome being built? πŸ˜‰
Will do my darndest, I promise!

(Wow! Won't we do ANYthing to keep these Mods happy?) LOL!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Fergie: Okay, just give me 2 or 3 more great stories and we'll call it even LOL πŸ˜†

Mod Bless you!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Darn, Granny? I am technically challenged! I can't get this blasted PC to send this ice-cold beer; and when I tell it to send the ribs... It keeps on asking me, beef or pork? Now, the cash...um, my pension card is not recognized outside of RSA. I have a BIG problem, don't I? πŸ˜• πŸ˜‰
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
zzsgranny- What about favors? Are favors accepted as payment? Just wonderin'! πŸ˜†
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
I haven't posted much lately, but I just have to say Oh my Mod! That is funny!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Beer, ribs, and CASH!...CASH, I say! πŸ˜†

To send your cash donation log onto www.iwannabeamodtoo.com...I accept all major credit cards and PayPal...

Thanks for your support!...And Mod Bless you! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
cosmogal - they should know better πŸ˜†. Granny specifically stated beer and ribs! Beer and ribs! πŸ˜†
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+6
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
I don't know Miracles. I'm thinking a comment was made but was sent to the void pretty quick. Ohhh they must not have left an offering of beer and ribs. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Wow - I go to lunch and come back and don't know what the heck has happened πŸ˜†
stephyw2001 (guest)
+5
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Just what the hell is a year 6/7? And this is not year 9... Even if you meant 2006/2007 if you subtract 2012 from 2006 its only 6 years not 9. You know what isn't boring? Education. Go open a book for God's sake! Thank you Hanna, for providing more reasons to make school year round. You children obviously aren't learning a damned thing.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Hannah: These stories are boring? You have been here for how many years? πŸ˜•
Wow! I must compliment you, you have amazing endurance for a bored teenager! Stupid me, I would never have stuck around for that long, if I were bored! πŸ€”
Why not find an EXciting site to leave your comment on?
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
hannahorourkex- For having been here for such a long while, I'm amazed that you haven't noticed that MIracles is not a bro, but in fact a ma'am. The only thing I have learned from your posts, is that you obviously aren't very observant. Have a good one. πŸ˜‰
kristy-lee1985 (4 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
I could not read all the comments because there were far to many lol. My thoughts on the idea are similar to one by geetha50. I'm thinking that the person you were seeing was trying to warn you of something or protect you even, maybe the "door" he was trying to show you was a vortex, a door used by the spirits to travel between their world and ours. The fact that he seemed nervous and figity tells me he wanted to talk to you but did not know weather he would be hear or believed. I agree with doing some research into the house, maybe try and get the original plans of the house or try and find out if there was once another house on that land. Do not be scared as he obviously means you no harm. ❀ 😁
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
I know there is some meaning attached to dreams about rooms, hallways or places that are not there, but I cannot recall what it is.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
I would think that the place he always appears holds some significance. Perhaps he passed away on that spot, or there is an object/piece of the old foundation that he is attached to. Your dream can be a clue to what it is. Once you begin researching the property, I hope you find all of the information you need. Good luck, and please keep us posted. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Shadow-VII - how odd. I did this yesterday and it worked LOL. Not sure what happened when I posted the link for you. I'll see if I can figure it out.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Shadow-VII,
Try this link. It's a step by step video about how to do a title search on any property in the USA.
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0tvKhiSXF4

Jav

PrincessLotus,
That's because you are also a Street Fighter Extraordinaire!
Rock on Little Sister!

Jav 😁
Shadow-VII (2 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Thank you for the link, Miracles! Unfortunately when I clicked on the link it didn't seem to have a way to search the house... I will keep looking though and try the link again and see if I can find anything. There must be records SOMEWHERE that can tell me the history of the house.

If I find out anything I will comment it and let all of you know.

Granny- I like your style!
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
I will totally let you know. After I had the one with the lady was I haven't gotten that far since. But I am so trying.

LMAO JAV! You are totally a force to be reckoned with! I love it. Your check is in the mail, sis. Hehehe! XOXO! See I'm so glad you get my humor. Some people get their feelers hurt. Lol.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+9
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
No really... I am the supreme being on this site...Y'all need to bring me an offering... Like beer and ribs, yeah...'Course, cash will work better πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Shadow-VII - One of our members, BadJuuJuu, provided this link yesterday for another of our members: http://www.wikihow.com/How-to-research-the-history-of-your-house. Hopefully you'll be able to find something there.
Shadow-VII (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Lotus, that's interesting that you can control these dreams you have... Definitely keep trying that, let me know how that goes!

I don't know if anybody died at that house, but I agree that I should do some research on it. Now, when I do research on my mom and dad's house, any suggestions where to start? I can't find anything online
Raechel (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
I would suggest that you should dig beneath the place where the figure used to stand.
Apparently if there's not any such room as the one you saw in your dreams; there must be something under the grounds itself.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Alright! Lol. This comment thread went to Hell, didn't it? Well me being me & those of you who know me know that I could care less if my honest opinion insults anyone. Even those Mods who think that the slightest bit of authority granted to them turns them into a god. So with that said I'm going to comment now. Lol!

You know I still have dreams to this day where a large hallway or strange stair case will cause me to feel so afraid I want to cry. I have never felt such fear, dread & impending doom, really. I know it sounds silly but its true. I have become able to control my dreams to a point... Like once I know I'm dreaming I can tweak things to my desire. Or do things I know I wouldn't have done in the dream because I was too afraid, not realizing it was a dream. Do you know what I mean? These dreams, though are all very much the same. One time I realized I was dreaming so I kept moving down he corridor that was scaring the s#it outta me. When I got to the... I guess it was the end because tgere was a skinny door & I opened it. Inside was an ancient woman who had eyes like a corpse. If you don't know what that looks lije, its almost like they turn a pale blue & get sort of 'filmy' lol. Thats the best I can explain. But this strange woman just looked at me & looked at me. It got uber uncomfortable for me... I started getting scared again. I finally screamed 'ENOUGH!' & woke up in a panic. It was a trip. I'm going to continue doing this in these particular dreams & keep a journal. I want to see how far I can push it & if thres anything to them... What do you think about this?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Bbrave - I appreciate your comments. I'm comfortable with my choice. If I don't believe a story is a "ghost" story and I don't think most people on here will either, I'm not going to publish it. And I'm more willing to believe than most. I'd rather spare a 13-yr-old the unnecessary criticism and disbelief if I can than have people on here tell her/him that they don't believe her/him. One person saying it is better than a dozen or two. At least in my opinion.

But we are both entitled to our opinions πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ That's the good thing about this site.
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
[at] Miracles

You're right we haven't had any interactions so I did not sense any humor in your comment. Also though it's admirable to consider someone's feelings when they submit a story for publishing.

It's also rude to assume they can't handle the unnecessary comments they will undoubtedly receive.
When someone submits a story it must be believed they can handle the comments they will receive.

They are after all intelligent teens and adults. Anyway those are my thoughts
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Bbrave - apparently my warped sense of humor didn't come across in my comment. You and I haven't had any interaction for us to get to know each other, otherwise you might have picked up on it 😊. Then again, maybe not πŸ˜†.

It was interesting to see the reactions it got, though LOL. If you would like me to answer your questions seriously, I will. But first I'd like to apologize to Daveb for taking over the comment section of his story.

As a mod, I don't think I'm any better than anyone else. I just have the ability to delete comments, edit stories, and make the decision whether or not to publish a story. Sometimes that decision is very difficult and there are times I regret the choice I make, but hindsight and all that. There are stories that I choose not to put on here because I don't want the o/p to be hurt by the comments I know they'll get. So I have to decide which way I think they're going to be hurt the least.

A lot of people have a different idea of what being a mod is about. It's not sitting here and deleting comments when someone pisses us off. That doesn't even enter into it. I think we'd get into a whole lot of trouble for that and have our "mod" rights suspended. It can't be personal. There are a whole list of rules we have to abide by. If we can't, and don't, follow the rules, I don't think we'll be "mods" for very long. I hope I answered everything. If not, let me know and I'll try again 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: