You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Finding Out Jakob Lives Here Too

Real Ghost Stories

Finding Out Jakob Lives Here Too

 

My story starts when my mom, her boyfriend, and I moved into our new house. We live in a very small town in Ohio that has been around since the late 1800's. Most of the houses in this town are older homes and each has their own history. This house used to be a bunk house for miners along with every other on this street. After the houses were no longer bunk houses, they were used as regular houses. An older couple lived here for years before moving to Florida and then a medium sized family lived here for a few years before moving to a different state for a job opportunity. About 6 months later, that is when my family moved in.

Besides the miners who slept here and the two families that lived here, I know nothing about the history of this house besides the fact it was built in 1918. As for any deaths that could have happened here, it was never mentioned upon buying the house but I have my own suspicions. The following activity causes me to believe a soul still resides here...

We moved into this house mid- July right before my 20th Birthday. After we first moved in there was friction between me and my mom's boyfriend. He was angry, constantly complaining about what I was doing or not doing or whatever he could find, I suppose. He is the type of person that when he gets stressed out or angry for any reason he targets my mom and I. Being a full time college student, I was short on places to live so I had little to no places to go. I waited out the first couple weeks to see if a permanent move would have to be made. I think the bad energy is what caused the activity to begin.

After the bad weeks went by things got better but the energy still lingered as if a bomb could go off at anytime. I was working full time a fast food restaurant at this time and I rarely had a day off so a week after my birthday, my mom, her boyfriend, and I all went out to eat to celebrate all of our birthdays (mine was the 19th, my mom's birthday was on the 20th and her boyfriends was the 24). I remember exactly what I wore, a black and white striped one sleeved black shirt with a pair of black shorts, this is important later on. I stuck a little bit of money and my debit card in my front left pocket before I left. After a few hours we came back home. I went upstairs to my room and changed into my night clothes, throwing the clothes I wore into a corner and putting my money and debit card in my wallet. I crawled into bed and went to sleep to prepare for my early morning at work

A few days later I was getting ready for work and before leaving I grabbed my purse and keys. I went to the local gas station and used my debit card to get gas, I rarely used cash. After getting gas I remember putting my debit card in my pocket. I spent the next 6 or 7 hours working. After my shift, I sat down at a table and decided I wanted to stop somewhere after work to grab a bite to eat (didn't feel like eating the food I had been around all day). I searched my pockets for my debit card and ended up empty handed. I searched the restaurant up and down. I spent the next hour searching my car, the restaurant, and the ground but I didn't find it. I called to cancel it just in case someone picked it up off the ground or floor. A week later I received my new debit card in the mail and forgot all about the old one.

A day or two after receiving my new debit card, I was cleaning my room. I had a good many folded up blankets sitting in a corner and decided they needed to be put away at last. I was putting them away when I got to the bottom of the pile and saw my black shorts and black and white top. They were flat from sitting underneath the blankets and obviously haven't been worn in awhile. Because of their long stay on my floor, I wanted to wash them. I cleaned out the pockets of the shorts (I have a habit of washing papers or other odds and ends that are in my pockets, so I clean every pocket in anything I wear before washing them) and I found a quarter or two... And my debit card. I held it in my hand and couldn't comprehend how it was in there. The cash I stuck in my pocket along with the card that day wasn't in there. But there it was, a debit card I used a week ago in a pair of shorts I wore over a week ago.

The odd thing about all of this, is when I found that card, I felt it was the punchline to a joke. As if someone set this up and was getting a good laugh. Mentioned in my other story, I have always had a "sixth sense." I can sense spirits but can't have direct contact. This was the moment when I could feel someone with me and I could feel that someone was in this house long before we moved in.

This "joke" was only the beginning. My alarms started to silence themselves during the night. I used to use my cellphone for my alarm. I would set my alarm, double check the time making sure I had it on A.M. And that the volume was turned up, I did this every night before going to sleep. I have never had a problem with my phone silencing my alarms or deleting them until I moved here. For 2 or 3 weeks, one or two days out of those weeks, I would wake up late and check my alarm to see that it had been deleted as if I never set an alarm or on snooze but not making a sound. If this happened once, I'd say, "I must've forgot to set my alarm." or "I forgot to turn the volume up." but after the 2nd or 3rd time, I was deliberately checking my alarm and the volume time and time again before going to sleep. I made sure that the time was right, the alarm was set, and the volume was up but when morning came, it would be off or silenced.

I couldn't shake the feeling this wasn't a coincidence, that someone was doing this on purpose. I would have thought it was my mom or her boyfriend but both of them are not technology savvy and my phone would always be locked (if anyone has ever had a Droid or Android phone, you know you can lock your phone by drawing a specific pattern) and I never shared that pattern to anyone. And the thought that some stranger was coming into my house at night, unlocking my phone, and disabling my alarm was far fetched.

I ignored the alarms until one morning. I got up in the morning and went downstairs. The washer and dryer are in the basement along with a basket that has newly cleaned clothes of mine from the night before. I opened my basement door so I could get a fresh pair of work clothes when I heard a voice yell up the stairs. My initial reaction was to slam close the basement door and lock it. I stood behind the door for a couple minutes, debating on what I should do. I replay opening the door in my mind and don't recall seeing anyone at the bottom of the stairs. Then the familiar feeling come over me again and I knew that the voice wasn't a living, breathing person. Before I had a chance to make a decision, my hand was already unlocking the door. I turned the knob, flicked the light on, and walked down the stairs. I searched the basement making sure that someone wasn't down there but in the back of my mind I knew I wouldn't find anyone.

As I was grabbing my clothes, that's when it came to me, the name Jakob. No other names, no other thoughts, nothing but the name Jakob. Sometimes I receive random thoughts that have no relationship to me but are about others... Even from someone who has passed. This has happened to be on a few instances but those are stories within themselves. I knew this was his name and that he was a teenage boy, and that he has been the prankster who has been shutting my alarms off and hiding my debit card. I could also feel the innocence behind his intentions like he was letting me know it wasn't meant to be mean or hurtful.

A few days after the incident in the basement, my alarm shut off again. I knew it was a joke meant to be funny but I was irritated that once again I was going to be late. I said, "Jakob. Stop. This isn't funny." And it never happened again. My alarm never shut off or silenced itself again from that point. Now I mentally say Hi to Jakob when I go into the basement and I thank him for keeping his jokes to a minimum. Though I was irritated by the jokes he played on me, I am thankful he isn't a malicious, angry spirit. He never harms us, and besides me, no one else is aware of his presence. If this is where he wants to stay, I am fine with that. But Jakob, please don't mess with my alarms again or my debit card, but if you want to play some pranks on my mom, go ahead, we both can get a good laugh.:) Thank you for reading guys.

**If you wonder why I spell his name Jakob instead of Jacob, it's because when I picture the name being spelled out it's always with a K. I don't know why other than that's the way his name is supposed to be spelled**

Other hauntings by AliceRenee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AliceRenee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Hi Alice, I know for a fact, that Jakob is spelled that way in Holland; Belgium and by the Afrikaans speaking community, here in South Africa.
I hope that helped in your quest. 🤔
Thank you for sharing
AliceRenee (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Meyghan14- How do you get the pattern lock to appear? Is that what you mean? You go to security on your phone and then there should be options on what kind of lock you want, pin number or pattern. Choose pattern. Hope that helped... Lol
Meyghan14 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Ik this has nothing to really do with your experience but how do you do the pattern lock to pop up on the droid
bananaisnotafruit (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
[at] rookdygin

Jakob is how we usually spell the name in Sweden. And as far as I know a lot of Swedes went to the US long time ago in hope of a better life! I'm sure they spell the name that way in other countries as well (like the scandinavian ones:p)

Anyways, nice story =)
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
Please feel free to delete my response, I fear I got a bit catty. My fault.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
yusaka- I usually don't feed trolls, but pot... Meet kettle.
Buzz_man123 (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
It's always nice to read a story like this, as for some reason many believe all entity's to be harmful and 'evil'

Thanks for sharing! And if you ever do research on the house as Rook suggested please tell us!

Liam
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
AliceRenee,

Thank you, I enjoyed this experience and I'm glad you shared it with us...

The spelling of Jakob vice Jacob could go a very long way in helping with any research you may do into former Families or Individuals who may have lived there... Jakob may have been a young miner who lived there when the house was a bunk house for them back in the day.

If you ever get the chance to research the property this unique spelling may help you 'find' him and the reason why he may still be hanging around. Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
hersweetestdesire (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
Sounds like things a little brother would do. Good to know not all ghosts are scary.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: