You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: I Can't Sleep Anymore

Real Ghost Stories

I Can't Sleep Anymore

 

I've been trying to submit this for a while now, I was either busy or the page was down so I'm glad I can finally get this out of the way. In my first post I said I sometimes had sleep paralysis and it didn't affect me to the point that I needed to go into detail about it.

After having it once a month when I was 13 and 14, I now have it twice a fortnight or more and it annoys me because I'm afraid to go to sleep now and stay up which annoys my mum and she's threatened to take me to see a doctor if I don't sleep during the night rather than the day. I went to bed this morning at 5am and slept until 2pm, also recently I've seen shadows when I turn corners, or I feel like I'm being watched.

The first time it started to bug me was earlier this year when I woke up in the morning at my mum's house, it must have been 10am and it was abnormal for this to happen to me in the late morning as it usually happens around 12-4am. Anyway I woke up and all of a sudden I felt myself being slowly pushed down into the mattress and I started panicking because I knew what that meant and usually I can feel myself going into it so I move around or lift myself off the bed for a bit before going back to sleep but this time it was too late and I could only try and fight it, even though I couldn't move at all and felt pressure on my head. Then I felt buzzing all over me, I could hear it as well as feel it, it's like having a million bees swarm over you, so I tried to call out for someone. I could hear my brother playing in the next room with his friend and they're around 7 so they were loud. I could just about mumble my brother's name to try and get his attention and did this for ages until I was just so exhausted I fell asleep again. I don't know how, sometimes I get so exhausted fighting it I just give up and collapse and it scares me. I know I wasn't dreaming because when I woke up an hour later I found my brother and his friend playing in the next room.

Another time, this time at my dad's house, I woke up and felt myself going into it. Out of the blue, I felt a hand on my head and it just patted me for a while, not affectionately, it was just the palm above my ear, not moving, and the fingers lightly patting my head. It was really weird and I had a hard time breathing whilst it was happening which wasn't good at all because my head was turned into my pillow. Again I fell asleep exhausted and the next morning asked my dad if he came into my room to check up on me and patted my head. When he said he didn't I was spooked, my dad wouldn't pat my head like that and he doesn't check up on me anymore.

I also can't sleep very well now, waking up at around 3am (I realise this is common with some people in similar situations) and at one point I woke up at 3:33am and freaked out because my friend had told me after I told her what was happening that 3am is when someone is most likely watching you. I also had paralysis again two nights ago, waking up to thinking my mum was in the room with me so I mumbled out to her, like I had when I heard my brother, to snap me out of it and I was trying to convince her that I wasn't messing around and that this was real. I could see her next to my bed standing towards the end of it, but in the back of my mind I knew she wasn't really my mum (things were different, like her hair length) and she kept telling me I was being silly and to stop struggling around and calm down. Again I became exhausted and just went to sleep again despite being scared to death.

Things that happen around me like my "mum" appearing before me and the buzzing all feels real and when I physically get up and walk around after it nothing in the room has changed and sounds that went on in the paralysis like cars or the construction work outside were still there. I don't like turning my back on my room doorway at night and it takes me at least 2 hours to get to sleep without music or reading. I want this to stop and my mood is getting worse. I'm never tired during the day and don't want to sleep, but I know I need to.

What's happening and what can I do to stop it? This time I need help, what I've been experiencing sounds typical like other stories but I feel that this is all way too real. It's stopping me from sleeping and I'm losing patience.

I'm grateful for any ideas, thanks for reading!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Eya96, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

NarwhalBurrito (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-02)
Calm down. Sleep paralysis is normal. Next time you get it, ignore EVERYTHING that happens, the hallucinations, the touchings and the noises, they are just your imagination. It's nothing demonic. Focus all you can on moving one finger. After that, move another if you're not fully awake. Try and get back to a NORMAL sleeping routine and establish a 'bedtime' routine that you will stick to and a specific time you'll go to bed at. Sleeping normally really can help your sleep paralysis. I would get it almost every night and then I did this and I'm getting it only occasionally.
Eya96 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Thanks for replying everyone, it means a lot to me:)
To everyone who thinks I should see a Doctor, it would be a good idea but my mum thinks I'm just a teenager who likes sleeping, she doesn't believe me when I tell her what happens. She wouldn't take me to the Doctors unless I had serious insomnia which I can see symptoms of but she often finds this ridiculous.

There's so many theories about what causes it, ghosts, demons or just health problems and considering my health is good and I didn't have any problems before it started you can see why I was suspicious.

Blinky, I never fall asleep on my back because I'm scared of it happenening. I've never had sleep paralysis on my back, it's usually on my front or side and when I try and turn on my back during it, I get pushed onto my side. This happened to me last night.

Laurosawrrrr, I've asked out loud once when someone suggested it to me but felt it didn't do anything. I've never tried cleansing or anything like that.

Thanks for all the advice, I feel safer now that I know it's normal to hallucinate during sleep paralysis. I still don't understand what's causing it, I'm healthy and exercise regularly, no stress (in fact life has been pretty good despite this), nothing seemed bad before and the sleep paralysis was the thing that made it hard for me to sleep. I'll listen your advice and see:)
supernaturalservices (86 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
one thing that can help if the phenomena is spiritual is to say prayers of protection like psalm 91 and 71 read out loud. Also leaving bowls of sea salt mixed with white vinegar can help. Refill as needed.

Feel free to pm me if you require more help
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Eya96

First of all there is some really great advice given to you here. I can relate to this and you are certainly not alone.

Sleep paralysis can affect people in many varying degrees. Some people just experience the paralysis symptoms and others get the 'full blown' effects which may include auditory and visionary hullucinations.

I guess the important thing to try and remember is that these sensations are not real. Some tips that work for me:

- Try not to sleep on your back. All of my SP episodes happen when I sleep on my back. If you feel yourself 'falling' into a S.P state try and roll onto your side.

- Try and keep a regular sleeping pattern. Disturbed sleeping patterns can make the experiences worse and being sleep deprived can contribute to regular attacks.

- If you do find yourself having an episode of S.P try and wriggle your toes or fingers. This helps me snap out of paralysis. It does take some practice but it seems to work for me.

- Try not to panic. If you are having an episode try and tell yourself 'this is just sleep paralysis. It isn't real and I will wake up'.

- Try not to fall asleep with a heater on or too much clothing. I find my attacks happen when I get too hot.

Sorry for babbling on but this is something I really relate to. I hope your sleeping gets better soon!

😊
Blinky (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
When I was younger I suffered from some pretty horrid sleep paralysis events. It got to the point to where I was terrified to go to sleep! I began to think I was losing my mind until I studied up on it.

Some of the biggest contributors to sleep paralysis are as follows: excessive drinking, lack of sleep, stressful events and life changing events (divorce, going to college for the first time, recent moves, and event traveling). You may Also be sleeping in a trigger position... A lot of people complain that they suffer greater when in a supine sleeping position. You may also want to keep a diary of what you are eating... Especially if you are a late eater and consume food shortly before bed.

When a person suffers from sleep paralysis they say that your body is awake and aware but your mind is still holding your motor skills in the REM stage of sleep. This is so you don't act out your dreams.

I am no expert but my greatest advice to you would be to try and eliminate some stress from your life... Try and eat healthier and get on a set sleep schedule. You may also try to change the position in which you sleep for a few nights and possibly try to take some melatonin (natural calming and sleep aid). Please remember that I am not a health professional this is just my own personal advice! Lavender is also a calming smell that you might spray in your room before going to bed.

That would be my best advice to offer you. Best of luck and hope this helps out some!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
I think you should go with your mother's idea/threat and GO SEE A DOCTOR. Sleep paralysis can be brought on by lack of oxygen, and that needs to be looked into. Sleep disorders can be treated, and for the sake of your health need to be treated. Schedule an appointment. Right away.
I know you say you feel like you're being watched and seeing shadows, but lack of sleep/interrupted sleep will wreak havoc with your perceptions. I really think it would be in your best interests to visit your doctor.
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Eya96... I am 35 now and when I was a teenager I too suffered regular sleep paralysis (at the time I never attributed it to anything paranormal whatsoever) in fact it was so regular to me I deemed it quite normal I would wake exactly as you said as if I were being pushed right into the mattress couldn't move, speak or anything I would simply know that I had to go straight back to sleep and I would wake up fine... The other thing is at the time (like most teenagers) I was staying up too late, eating late, under pressure at school for my GCSE'S I had a boyfriend and on a weekend I would go out drinking... I think that maybe you are so anxious about sleeping you are actually causing insomnia which only hightens your anxiety it's like a vicious circle... Also a lot of people awaken in the night if they haven't consumed enough 'good calories' through the day. Try to start today with a healthy diet... Get some exercise and go to bed at a decent hour... Before bed don't watch tv or play video games as these will stimulate your brain rather than help you to wind down... I hope this helps please keep us posted ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
I guess it is time to listen to your mum and see a doctor to be sure your problem is not health related.
If it persists... I have no advice to offer 😢,

Take care.
sailynh12 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
Heyy this is for you I understand what you are going through & my family members study spirits all there lives. So I know alot. What you have in your hands is an actual ghost. & they will not stop until you get some help
blackandbluelights (1 stories) (4 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
Hello, I just want to start off by saying that I am going into my fourth year of Psychology. I'm no expert, but I do know a lot of things.

So you're experiencing night terrors and sleep paralysis, and you're worried it's a spirit, correct? Honestly, I don't think you have a ghost on your hand. And this is simply because when we dream, especially in the way you have, we can pretty much dream anything.

If you are afraid of ghosts when you go to sleep, then it's a lot more likely that you will have dreams that resemble one haunting you. Since there are parts of your brain still being stimulated during night terrors and sleep paralysis, it is much easier to create a dream incredibly real. So real it's hard to distinguish what was a dream, and what was reality.

If it is distressing you that bad, then there are many things that can help. Starting off with simple things you could try stuff like:

- exercising your mind and body about 2 hours before you want to go to bed. Yoga works best for me, personally. Get yourself tired and then relax as well as you can in an area in your house aside from your bedroom.

- try staying up as late as you can, instead of trying to fall asleep. Even though you know you're tricking your mind, it can still be effective.

- Sometimes people have nightmares due to dehydration. Bring a drink to bed and when you wake up in the middle of the night, drink it. It helps sometimes. Not all the time.

- If you're going to bed in a state of fear, you're much more likely to experience the creepiest night terrors. Try to keep your mind in the best place possible before you attempt to sleep. This is pretty much the bottom line.

You are in fact experiencing signs of insomnia, and that is something you can't cure easily. But everybody is different, and you can surely overcome this. Try to sleep at night instead, as hard as it is. The sooner and more often you try, the easier it will get. I'm sorry for the length, but I hope I've helped.
Laurosawrrrr (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
I too have been trying to submit mine, but haven't been able to, and still can't!

Have you tried cleansing at all or maybe asking what they want? Sorry I can't offer any more advice, I don't know much other than what I've read about. Though, I do hope you can find a solution and begin to sleep peacefully (:

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: