You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Parents' Place

Real Ghost Stories

My Parents' Place

 

My parents' home was built in the 70's in a secluded area of a small town. The home has always been quite creeky due to age, but I've always felt like there was something more.

Ever since I was a kid, I never wanted to be left alone. Anywhere. I wouldn't sleep alone, wouldn't stay at home alone, wouldn't go anywhere by myself. Luckily I had neighborhood friends and siblings to keep me company, plus a dad that never complained when I asked him to stay up with me after a bad dream.

I don't really remember how old I was when I started "hearing" things. The room that I stayed in always gave me the creeps. I could hear things from downstairs and I just overall had a bad feeling about my room. My brother had a bunk bed, so he was normally kind enough to let me borrow his bottom bunk.

One night I woke up with my brother literally on top of me. When I asked him what he was doing, he explained that he was afraid of a man. "What man?" I asked. "The man wearing a black t-shirt that's been walking around up here. He just went downstairs!" I told my little brother to stay put so I could go get my dad. My father searched our home inside and out looking for the guy, but never saw or heard from anyone.

A couple of years went by. I had finally braved up enough to sleep alone, but I still felt weird in my room. One night my friend stayed the night so he could go hunting with my dad the next morning. I told him he could sleep in my room and I'd take a guest room so he could be more comfortable. The next afternoon he asked me if I had heard anything the night before. When I asked him what happened he explained to me that he woke up to a really loud noise and when he opened his eyes a bright light was shining in his face.

My parents always thought I was crazy when I would tell them that there was someone or something in the house. To this day when I visit them with my daughter, I still feel a certain strangeness looming around the corner.

Other hauntings by converserebecca

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, converserebecca, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
I'm curious as to how old your brother was when the incident with man occurred. Was he also scared in the house and did he mention having other experiences? I can totally empathize with your fears. I was always afraid of the dark and afraid to sleep alone, although I don't think it had anything to do with the house itself. I have that problem everywhere I go. Thanks for your post.
marti11013 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
respect for you man. My house is haunted too. I feel strange in my room too.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
Okay this is going to "date" me but when you state that your house was built in the 1970's, I didn't think that was so old. In fact, the house I live in was built in the early 1960's and I don't feel as if it is due the title of being an "old house". Well, whatever the case... (I might just be an old bag... 😉) Many times the age of a house is really of no bearing. The land underneath the house has been there forever. And I do believe that there was something going on. Does your family still live in the house and if so, does anything else happen there?

Thanks, zeta.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
I have a feeling that there might be a residual haunting in your room. Have you made any investigation as to the timing, whether it is day time or night. Now that your parents are still living there and that you visit them regularly, why don't you try to investigate and find out about this haunting, well, if you are interested in pursuing it. Further, since no one else have experienced, of course, except your friend, probably, in your family, you have the sensitivity to hear or experience paranormal. Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
converserebecca,
Whoever this guy was/is, he seems to behave like a night watchman. Only around at night, visually anyway. Then when your friend slept in your room instead of you, he went in with a flashlight to see what was up. Granted, it is quite startling to have that happen, but from all that you have reported here, he has never done anything malicious. He doesn't seem to have wanted to frighten anyone on purpose, he simply doesn't think folks ought to be surprised to see him. It is odd, but it certainly doesn't sound like he was trying to harm anyone. I'm wondering if he was a prison guard, or security guard before he passed? He seems to be walking his rounds at night, checking in on everyone, making certain things are on the up and up. Also, he seemed only interested in entering the bedrooms when you were not sleeping in your own bed, right? I believe he was doing a nightly head count at lights out. Chances are he was one of the following: ex-military, prison guard, night watchman, etc...
Thank you for sharing!

Jav 😁
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
Just as we're are programmed to judge danger/behaviour/situations in everyday life, our sixth sense also tunes in to other situations that we don't consider 'normal'.
In both cases you react how you judge this situation so if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't for you. In a way, it's a survival instinct to react to situations, like fight or flight.
Feeling uncomfortable is not nice, especially when your brother and friend also sense similar occurances.
However, saying that, I don't think you or your family and friends are in any danger from any spirits; I believe they do not mean to do you any harm whatsoever.
You could try saying out loud that you don't feel comfortable with its presence or you could just leave it be to check on you every now and again.
All I believe is you're instincts have tuned in to a situation and it's nothing to worry about in this case.

Great Story,

Lakota73 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: