You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Malevolent Entity?

Real Ghost Stories

Malevolent Entity?

 

These are things which took place in my current home. This story is significant as it was this event that started the conversations with my new husband about experiences I have had throughout my life. Things I had not shared with other people.

I am going to try to tell you what happened AS I PERCEIVED IT at the time it was happening:

I woke up suddenly and completely, my eyes just popped open. My heart was beating far too hard and too fast. I was laying on my back, it was late, my husband was asleep to my left. My gaze shifted to the end of the bed. There was a man there, slightly crouched. I froze. My heart felt as though it were going to explode. I thought, "How did he get this far into the house without me hearing anything?" "How can I alert Jim (my husband) in time for him to react?" At that moment our dog who was asleep in the floor on my husbands side of the bed began growling (and if you own a dog you know what I mean when I say "he was growling like he meant it") and I could tell the dog was advancing toward the intruder. His growling alerted Jim who bounced up in an instant.

I was still frozen, and my gaze had not shifted. The man I was looking at did not make a move, and suddenly just wasn't there anymore. Jim hit a light and I blurted out what I had seen. Our bedroom door was shut, just as it had been. Jim grabbed a weapon, checked our adjacent bathroom and closets, then went to check on the kids and the rest of the house leaving the dog with me. The dog continued to growl and make huffing noises while he sniffed all around the room, with the hair on his back standing up.

A search of the house turned up nothing. Not even an unlocked door. The kids were sound asleep. Jim took the dog and checked all around outside, the shed, the vehicles, everything. Nothing to see outside either. We sat in bed for awhile (with the lights on) and talked about what had happened. We talked about what we believed, about dead relatives, about religion, we talked about all sorts of things. By the time we settled back down to sleep we still had no answers as to what happened, but we agreed that we had just been visited by something unknown.

Subsequent to this event:

Several weeks later, I woke up in the night needing to use the bathroom. I sat up and put my leg over the side of the bed and was getting up, when my husband grabbed me and pulled me back down into the bed. I started to protest telling him I had to pee! He hushed me, and said "Be quiet, and stay still. Its after me." We laid there not moving for a very long time. I could not see anything (his shoulder was blocking my view anyway). At some point I whispered "What is after you?" and he whispered back "I don't know. Just stay still, don't get up." At some point I fell back asleep, and the next day while we both acknowledged what had occurred, neither of us had much to say.

At another time after this we were relating these events to a friend of my husbands, who is interested in ghost stories, ghost hunting etc... My sons heard bits of the conversation and came into the room and asked to hear the whole story. Well, they aren't babies anymore and I know my kids, its not something that would scare them. So I told them. Neither of them seemed the least bit surprised. And without so much as blinking, in a very matter of fact tone, my oldest said "Oh yeah, we have seen him. He walks around in our room at night." My younger son nodded his head in agreement. Neither of them seemed upset or afraid. They didn't seem to feel as though this entity was paying any attention to them at all, merely passing through their bedroom for reasons unknown.

On a rather bizarre note, this particular sort of happening seems to have stopped since the death or our family cat back in May, a member of this family for 15 years. (Not sure what that would have to do with anything but, there you go.) His ashes sit atop the hutch of my desk.

I wonder sometimes if people would think us odd, because none of us are really afraid even though sometimes something may scare us. Its just something that happens sometimes. We are all curious, and we do a little "ghost hunting" here or there. This is just part and parcel of our everyday existence.

Other hauntings by Annabellee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Annabellee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nehkra (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
The only thing that I can think of related to your cat is an ancient Egyptian believe that cats could keep the dead at bay. It could be that your cats spirit is doing just that now and probably was capable of doing that in whatever room it had been in when alive.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Extremely well-written and lucid account, Annabellee. Like the camping story I just read, it had me genuinely frightened, especially when your husband perceived "it" was out to get him. Wow.
Annabellee (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
[at] LakotaWinyan: Interesting. You know, the opinions on animal afterlife are just as numerous and conflicted as that of humans.
LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Just as humans who have walked on can protect family on this side, so too can an animal who has walked on.

Your cat, when he walked on, could have shown the other (s) in your house the way home.

Something to think about, LW
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Thank you for sharing! It was well written to the point I had chills! I am glad you guys are okay, I would say though if the kids saw him and they were not scared than it could have been a relative looking over, as for the cat and it stopping, it could be your cat protecting you as well. Glad you and your family are safe though!

Blessed Be ❤
Annabellee (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It was very creepy, and I think I have a few more grey hairs to show for it. 😁
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Waking up to see a man crouching in front of my bed would freak me out! 😨 Your dog growling at the same time as if there was an intruder in your home was a sign that he sensed something. I don't think it was a malevolent entity, maybe just curious. I'm not sure why the activity would stop after your cat passed away. It could be that he was just ready to move on. I don't think you are odd at all for not being afraid. I lived in a house for 14 years with a resident spirit. He never bothered us, just made himself known every now and then. I believe it depends on what type of energy they give off that determines how you will perceive them. Some are ok, and others can make you want to run screaming for the door. LOL 😁 Thanks for sharing this with us.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Thanks for sharing this with us. That would have seriously freaked me out! I'm glad that type of activity seems to have stopped.
Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Very interesting! From what I've read on this site and my own experiences, these sort of visitations are pretty common, but creepy nevertheless.
I enjoyed your story, thank you.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
Yikes! -My fingernails got shorter while reading your story! 😆

Thank you for sharing.
owensnee1 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-13)
Thank you Annabellee for a very interesting and well written read. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were faced with the same situation. Very disturbing... 😨

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: