You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Screaming Bridge

Real Ghost Stories

The Screaming Bridge

 

Williamston is located on the northeastern side of North Carolina in Martin County. It is a small community of about 6,000 residents.

How to Get to the Screaming Bridge:

The Screaming Bridge is located near Little Washington on Yarrell Creek Road crossing the Sweet Water Creek.

Ghosts of Screaming Bridge in Williamston, North Carolina:

As with many Screaming Bridges in the country, there are many stories about this place. There are at least three other Screaming Bridges throughout the country. The Screaming Bridge in West Chester, Ohio has a history and ghost stories that are even more colorful than the ones told about the Screaming Bridge in Williamston. One story, perhaps the most believable, is that a young girl who belonged to the Yarrell family drowned in the Sweet Water Creek under the original Screaming Bridge (which was wooden, not concrete, according to one resource). Her apparition has been seen a number of times and people have reported hearing the girls screams since the 1800's.

Another story is more typical to Cry Baby Bridge lore. This story says that a woman was driving home with her baby and the car went off the road into the river below. Both mother and child died and so now, today, disembodied sounds of the baby crying can be heard at the bridge. Some people report hearing the disembodied sounds of the woman crying out for her child as well.

Yet another ghost tale says that a woman hung herself at the bridge. Her distraught sister, upon finding her lifeless body then slit her throat then and there leaving a blood stain that would reappear again mysteriously at certain times in spectral form.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, boakley99, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cfinnegan (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-12)
Yes. If you went into a building you would be more likely to think every creak and bump was a ghost if you had been told it was haunted. However, if you hadn't been told, you would probably just say it was because the buildings old.

The truth can not be revealed without your help. Many people have heard screams and came to this site, and have gotten quite scared about it.

Lots of people have had weird happenings, and if they come to this site everyone tries to make sense out of it. Next time you have a strange encounter try to think about it.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-12)
Boakley,

No one is calling you a liar. You experienced something you can not explain and we are offering 'options' as to what it may have been.

Everything natural has to be considered... And ruled out before we can even attempt to call an experience paranormal.

If we do not apply the scientific method the skeptics will have a field day. However if we 'think like them' and are able to eliminate all Natural/Normal causes then what we are left with is something that can not be explained with 'normal' things... Thus it's 'paranormal' and then the skeptic's have no 'arguments' and at least have to admit that they have 'no idea' what may have 'caused' the experience/what is in the picture/where the voice came from...ect...

So please do not think we 'do not believe' you. We do... You experienced something you do not understand, something that scared you... But let's apply a skeptic's point of view...

You went to a place 'rich in folklore'.

You heard a 'scream' and because of the 'folklore' your mind caused you to think it was the 'scream' of a woman when in fact it was the cry of a fox or the death cry of a rabbit... Or any number of other natural reasons...

Thus I still ask you... What 'outdoor' experience do you have... How much camping? What animal noises are you familiar with?

In the end it's all moot if your just going to say...

'You weren't there, You don't know what I (we) experienced.'

Your right, we (I) was not there... But due to my experiences I have to ask questions like the ones I have because not every un-explaineable event that happens to us has a paranormal cause...it's just an experience we do not understand. If we can find a 'natural' cause then it makes us less afraid, if we are less afraid then we can look more objectively at these events and find the ones that are truly paranormal.

Respectfully,

Rook
boakley99 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-11)
Well you all are right to your own opinions. I know what I experienced an heard and it wasn't animals. In reality tons of strange things happen to people that cannot be explained. Some are convinced, some are not. I don't expect everyone to believe my story but I know what is real and what isn't.
Cfinnegan (17 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-11)
Continuing from rook, foxes make quite spooky noises too.
There are a few examples on YouTube, I would recommend checking to see if it matches (listen to rabbits too).
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-11)
Boakley,

Thank you for sharing the personal experience... I have a question regrading that...

How often do you and your friends go camping? What 'late night' outdoor noises are you used to hearing? Did you know that when a rabbit gets grabbed or even 'spooked' really good it emits a 'scream' that sounds like a woman?

Respectfully,

Rook
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-11)
Boakley,
I'm sorry but I'm not convinced that you actually had an experience. There is not much substance. You say that the screams have been heard screams since the 1800s after a girl drowned and her apparition has been seen a number of times. Then you go on to tell 2 other incidences.
When you and your friends went there you say you heard screams in the distance then louder screams before you left.
There are many folklore and tales that people go to "see what's up with that" and they get creeped out and "hear" something. Everyone agrees they heard it too. Then the adrenaline kicks in and all of a sudden the noise gets louder and everyone wants to get out of there quickly.
Sorry I'm not sold.
Redwolf
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
boakley - thank you for answering my question. Now I don't have to give you the speech about "personal ghost experiences", etc. 😉
Sambear30 (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
A little farfetched for me. Not real enough. No experience attachment, sorry.
boakley99 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
Miracles51031-This is not a story from a book from my website this is a true experience of my own. I have tried doing research to find out what really happened to the girl but haven't found anything that was documented how she actually died. The most famous story is she was killed by her husband on her wedding day.
boakley99 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
Yes in fact I did have an experience at the bridge. Some friends and I parked on the bridge one winter night back in the late 1990s and found a clearing through the woods where it looked to be an old road of some sort. We walked down the path to the creek bank where we beleived use to be an older bridge where the girl was actually killed at. We did hear some faint screams off the distance and 2 very loud screams before we got the heck out of there. There were no females with us to play joke on us so I very well believe in the story.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
boakley99 - are these excerpts from the books listed for sale on your website, which you have provided on profile? Before I say anything else, I'll wait on your answers to the questions we have asked.
Blackmoonmage20 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
Did you have any experience with these or are you just sharing some stories about it? 😊
Just asking... 😁
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
I was wondering that also. I enjoy hearing about folklore from various regions, but would love to know if you yourself have had an experience at any of the places you mentioned.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
While I enjoy folklore as much as the next person have you ever had a personal experience at ANY of these bridges?

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: