You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My Sleep Paralysis

Real Ghost Stories

My Sleep Paralysis

 

I'm Arealia Rose. I'm 15 but turning 16 soon. (just a back story). Ever since I was a little kid I always saw some scary things that made me have very many mental problems, I use to stay up for days just to avoid having to be in a dark room by myself or to sleep (I had night terrors). Anyways this summer in about July I'd say I had a sleep paralysis experience.

This summer I spent a great deal of my sleeping on the couch. I have to sleep in a bunk bed with my little sister and I have the top so it becomes incredibly hot. So therefore that is why I choose to sleep in the living room. But one night my little sister Jessica (13) and I were watching a movie out on the couch. We both ended up falling asleep watching the movie. But then I woke up to something I will never forget.

I woke up to the TV light shining on my face and my little sister sound asleep on the couch across from me. I couldn't hear the TV and when I tried to stretch I realized I couldn't move either. This scared me already but then I felt some voices. I looked back to my sister and then saw a line of people walk into my living room! They talked very low and would look back at me from time to time. Soon one of the men walked over to me. He was tall and had a nice suit on but I couldn't see his face. He then began to poke me, as if I was a cadaver.

(This has some what of a scarier affect on me. Back in Puerto Rico, my aunt has a house and that's where they would put the cadavers to lay out on the alter so the family can visit them and other spiritual rituals. Plus my dad just had a nightmare about that house and being a cadaver on the alter a few nights back.)

As the man poked me I tried to scream out to my little sister for help (she is a very light sleeper) and she didn't stir. Soon more people came over to me and began poking me. I closed my eyes and tried to scream but nothing would come out. Even with my eyes closed I could feel the bony fingers poking deep into my skin, so much it began to hurt.

Then I could feel my little sisters' hand on me. I opened my eyes and she was crying. I asked her what was wrong, trying not to alarm her, and she had said this.

I woke up from you screaming! You weren't moving but you were screaming like you were being murdered! I was trying to wake you up for 10 minutes and you just sat there and screamed!

I know it may sound like it was just some realistic dream but later on that day when I was changing I looked in the mirror and I had small bruises all over my body.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, arealiarose, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

arealiarose (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-18)
thank you all. Yes this is the one and only sleep paralysis.:)
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-11)
arealiarose

It does sound like you had an episode of sleep paralysis and a pretty nasty one at that.

My first clue was when you said it was hot and secondly you were sleeping 'outside your normal routine' and by that I mean in your living room where I guess that is not where you normally sleep.

The mind is a powerful thing and it is possible that your subconcious was remembering your Aunts house with the cadavers and this caused you to hallucinate this particular scenario.

I don't particularly like spiders but I have had SP episodes where spiders have been crawling on the curtains and roof. I think while you are in that state of paralysis where can you can't move or speak your fear increases hence why you will tend to hallucinate some not very nice things.

Hopefully this was a one off occurrence but I would try not to worry about it too much. 😊
majikflute (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-10)
Sleep paralysis can occur for physical reasons. I've had quite a bit of training on sleep cycles and stages and have done research on sleep paralysis. Sometimes your brain can be in REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep. This is the deepest stage of sleep and your brain becomes very active at this time. From time to time a person can experience half of the brain pulling up out of REM sleep while the other half remains in REM sleep. When you are in REM your body is in a state of paralysis. Your legs and arms don't move and your body does not roll over or toss and turn. Your body has essentially shut down, except for those systems required to maintain life. When the part of the brain begins to "wake up" or pull out of REM it recognizes that you cannot move. If you've ever been in deep sleep and hear the phone ring or the alarm go off you may have experienced not being able to move for a short time, even though you know you need to react to the ringing phone or alarm. That is what is happening with you in your experiences. The part of the brain that is still in REM won't allow you to move and continues dreaming; the part of the brain that is waking up recognizes you can't move and thinks you are paralyzed or some people report something is holding them down. I wouldn't worry about this phenomenon. It's just your brain pulling a trick on you. You can research this by searching for sleep paralysis or dreaming or sleep stages. It's nothing to fear, it's a natural occurance.
Maxxy (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
I added my story its title is Giant pressing my neck... So you can read it if you are interested. 😊
Maxxy (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
Hi Arealia,
The thing what happened 2 you was same with me... But just there was little difrence... Wen I was asleep at n8, I was feeling like some 1 was holding my neck and pressing it very hard... And I was not able to speak or shout... It was like a giant trying to kill me... I was not able to move my body... But I was knowing that something was happening to me... But finally wen I woke up I felt very relaxed it was morning 4 o'clock... And wen I saw in mirror there was only a print of a giant thumb near my throat... But it vanished within a day... So no 1 is ready to believe me... Well your story was also nice... Thnxx fr sharing
abbiegallon (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
That is really scary. I don't know how spirits can do that to a person I hope you are alright 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
[at] Hades,
A cadaver is a dead body.

Jav

50505050505050505050
Hades666 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
just out of curiosity what is a cadaver?
This could help me understand the story a bit more. 😕
Andreaa11 (54 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
My apologies, I found the email. Thank you very much rook! It couldn't have came at a better time:)
Andreaa11 (54 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
Sleep paralysis can be frightening. We are most vulnerable while at rest, which is why many supernatural events happen in the night.

Rook, I sent you an email labeled problems problems... Did you get a chance to read it?

Thanks and good luck arealia

-andrea
arealiarose (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
Thanks for the comments and your opinions:) I felt as it was sleep paralysis because of the experience but I can see all your reasoning for your guys' opinion. Thanks:)
Goku (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
I think you were in a very lucid dream. It has nothing to do with paranormal.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-08)
arealiarose,

I'm inclined to think this was a realistic dream rather than sleep paralysis... Hear me out on this...

Spirits can communicate with us better and easier when we are asleep... They caused you to 'wake up' in your dream (lucid dreaming) so that you could see them (made more likely because your sister was trying to wake you up for ten minutes).

Now for the bruises... Because this was a Lucid Dream your brain convinced your body it had really been poked and therefor your body manifested the bruises.

As for why they were poking you? You mentioned this...

"He then began to poke me, as if I was a cadaver.

Back in Puerto Rico, my aunt has a house and that's where they would put the cadavers to lay out on the alter so the family can visit them and other spiritual rituals. Plus my dad just had a nightmare about that house and being a cadaver on the alter a few nights back.) "

All I can think of is that these spirits are family members trying to communicate that they feel that their bodies being poked after they had passed away was disrespectful...It's a thought... May not be a good one but I'm sticking to it.

Respectfully,

Rook
PeachyPumpkins000 (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-07)
Hi Arealia 😊
That was a very interesting story. It is one of the most "active" sleep paralysis' i've heard of. They usually don't involve some type of spirit or ghost in them, but more like things going on to the body. Like you said you couldn't move or hear youself scream, that's a sign of sleep paralysis. However I just haven't heard of a sleep paralysis when a person see's a spirit of some sort. I may be wrong, but I am stating what I know. 😊
You said they were poking you? How abusive. Talk about curious ghosts. It sounds to me like they were inspecting you, like they wre confused about why you were there, but I am really not sure...
Well that's about as much as I know. I hope you don't have another sleep paralysis like that, and I can just imagine how your sister must have felt. I hope that my comment is "useful" in some sort of way. I'm not an expert on things, but I know enough, haha.
Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: