You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Grandfather Never Believed

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandfather Never Believed

 

Around the year 1962-63, my Grandfather was around 50 years old. He was a man with a family; a wife and 3 sons. All his kids were enrolled in school. They were not very well off, but quite content with what they had; farmland around their house for seasonal produce and paddy, cows in the cowshed for milk, and a roof over their head which they owned.

The village where they lived, in West Bengal, India, and where my father grew up too, was a desolate place at that time. My father was around 10 that time, and he's the person who has told me about this incident.

On a clear and cold November day, my Grandfather was returning to his village from the railway station, well after mid night, with a friend accompanying him. They were walking along the tracks as always. The sky was clear and they could see all the stars and constellations. Winter had set in and it was pretty cold. There was no fog or mist anywhere and visibility was perfect. Everything seemed normal.

Almost halfway, his friend, let's call him Baidyanath, felt an urge to answer nature's call. He urged my Grandfather to keep walking with the assurance that he'll catch up. So my Grandfather kept walking without slowing his pace.

Suddenly, Baidyanath, who had just sat down in the bushes to relieve himself, heard a hullabaloo from the direction in which my Grandfather had gone. In particular, he heard my grandfather yell, "Ke! Ke! Ke okhaaney?! (Halt! Who goes there?!)

As Baidyanath helped himself onto the track which they were following, he sees my Grandfather a small distance away from him, almost breaking into a sprint and yelling those same words repeatedly, in various arrangements, at someone.

Baidyanath too started running to get closer to my Grandfather. As he did so, he saw that my Grandfather seemed to follow someone or something. On following my Grandfather's gaze, he saw a figure, a lady wearing a white sari (traditional Indian attire for women), walking a little ahead of my Grandfather.

Now, as Baidyanath neared my Grandfather, the white figure crossed the railway track and seemed to vanish in the small woods. He heard my Grandfather still call out, baffled, almost shrieking wildly.

Baidyanath grabbed my Grandfather's wrist and almost dragged him home. As soon as they reached, he told my Grandmother not to give my Grandfather boiled rice for dinner, which they usually had (I have no idea why, must be a local belief). On the other hand, my Grandfather went straight to bed and suddenly started to shiver uncontrollably. It was found out that he was running a high fever all of a sudden. All the blankets in the house that could be spared could not keep him warm and he kept on shivering the whole night.

Next morning, he was back on his feet and back to work.

The irony: my Grandpa never believed in the paranormal; neither before and astonishingly not even after this incident. He was never ever scared to go any place, even where there were rumours of a haunting. He never believed.

Other hauntings by Sceptic-Ari

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sceptic-Ari, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-11)
I wonder if the admonition against the boiled rice could have been in reference to something like ergot on the grain at the time, in that area? Still, two people having the same 'hallucination' seems unlikely... Interesting story.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
Friends in Fairdale,Illinois; large destructive tornado raging through!

Keep it smart. Keep safe. ❤
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
My dear friends from the States,
How are you guys with the Blizzard still raging on?

Do let me know,please.

Keep safe ❤
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-30)
Dear Mysmarple,
I find your logic and reasoning very close to mine. As you see from my username, I always try and take a rational look at things like these 😐
But all that comes to a screeching halt and I sit here scratching my head thinking,"What the h*ll was that all about?" whenever I recall this experience of my Grampa and his companion Mr. Baidyanath!
All my family members have been rational thinkers. Although my Grandparents lived in a village, still they weren't a superstitious lot! Since I acknowledge that, I shall also have to acknowledge the experience of the same brave man who relentlessly trod the same path to and fro at all times of the day and night, even after such an incident that he faced
😐
Thanks for the appreciation. It means a lot to me 😁

Regards
Mysmarple (1 stories) (13 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-29)
Well,ari,that's something I understand. Even though I do not believe in ghosts the mind can play tricks on you and you may think you saw something, which I did when I was a child. But,reasoning,i knew I could have not seen what I thought I saw, so, I still don't believe in ghosts. Ii do,however, love reading other peoples stories about their experiences. They are very entertaining. As an example--your cricket story, which I enjoyed immensely! 😆
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
Life is a journey... And no one can stop you for living it... You have to live your life on your own... Its your life... Live it... But its In your hand to handle it...
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
Val, your comment is beautiful. My dear Watson & Holmes, you are both so right, and I am so sad for the many people who will look at those lists, and find a the name of someone they know. (Bows head respectfully). It makes you take a step back, and all of a sudden little problems don't seem so big, and the people around you, in your community, become a lot less taken for granted.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
Dearest watson,
Things of this nature SHOULD evoke those thoughts/feelings in a person. Life is a fragile gift. That is why we must treasure those who grace our lives. Whether it's immediate family, close friend, a coworker or even the clerk who always has a smile that seems just for you. We are all just on loan as it were. Yes, there are those who are in mourning, but there are also those who have been rudely awakened to the fact that there may not be a tomorrow, and will hold their dear ones just a bit closer, care a bit deeper, or have a stronger sense of community.
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
yeah! Thankfully I didn't find any of my relatives in that list...
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
But dear Holmes,
The list you so helpfully provided, has provoked a different thought in me now.
While I was looking at all those photos and reading all those names, along with some of the description provided, only one thought was crossing my mind again and again;
They were also someone's kin. They also have relatives mourning them. Near and dear ones literally torn away. How frivolous our life seems now!

Sorry for the rant...
Take care everybody.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
Ah!
I am really relieved Meghna, that you didn't find one of yours in the list.
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
thankz val... Thankkz you so much for helping me knowing that my relatives are ok... Thankz
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
Meghna! Ah! I am so happy for you! I know from experience that the only thing worse than knowing is the not knowing.
Of course, you may call me Val. 😊
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
ahhas! They are not there in that list... Thankz god for saving them... Thankz you so much val... Can I call you val? If you don't mind...?... You are really sweet and nice... And don't worry... Just be happy
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
PS.
I do hope that no one finds family or friends on that list. I would have checked only for your uncle and family, but did not want to ask you to publish their names in a public forum.
According to the article all next of kin have been notified.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
Meghna,
A list of those killed in the tornado has been made available:
UPDATE: 5/22 7:15 p.m. The Associated Press says the state medical examiner's office has released a complete list of the names and ages of the 24 people killed in the tornado:

Terri Long, 49
Megan Futrell, 29
Case Futrell, 4 months
Shannon Quick, 40
Sydnee Vargyas, 7 months
Karrina Vargyas, 4
Jenny Neely, 38
Antonia Candelaria, 9
Kyle Davis, 8
JaNae Hornsby, 9
Sydney Angle, 9
Emily Conatzer, 9
Nicolas McCabe, 9
Christopher Legg, 9
Cindy Plumley, 45
Deanna Ward, 70
Rick Jones, 54
William Sass, 63
Gina Stromski, 51
Tewauna Robinson, 45
Randy Smith, 39
Leslie Johnson, 46
Hemant Bhonde, 65
Richard Brown, 41

There are pictures of the devastaion as well as photos of the victims. (Pre-disaster)
Http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/oklahoma-tornado-victims-names_n_3320188.html
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
thankz you ari... Thankz you so much... For supporting my family...
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
Aami tomar mamar aar taar familyr jonno pray korbo. But no one here can do anything more I suppose. We just wait and watch.

Keep us updated Meghna.
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
haa ari... They are my mom' brothe and their family... Yes! They stay in moore... Please god save them
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Meghna tomar ke thaake okhaane? Khoob kaachher keu? I pray they are safe too.
Do they reside in Moore?
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
i hope all the fine there... Well I m very worried about my relatives there...
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Dear Granny,
Thanks Granny for the reply, and Val.
Yeah,you're right Granny. This was a monster of a tornado, and they have a lot on their hands right now.
I do not hope for a reply from anyone actually. I just pray that the injured are safe there and recuperating, and the bereaved find support in their fellow countrymen.
And sorry for the late posts. This erratic ISP is giving me a migraine.

Regards
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Might be awhile before we hear from any Okies - commnication lines (those established) are jammed by so many trieing to call at once. And everyone is busy trying to recover from the devastation.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
I'm not sure those out of the States can use his link, but it's worth a shot.
Http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/oklahoma-tornado-2013_n_3316921.html
They're calling it the "deadliest tornado to strike the United States in two years."
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
hey I heard a tornado has appeared? In america?
Waht is the situation there now?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
Ari: It's ugly. I don't think those in the area where the tornado hit have any way to communicate via the internet. Cell phone towers are down as well as cable/satellite systems. This was an extremely large tornado, approximately 2 miles wide at one point during touchdown.

Hopefully we'll hear from some of our Okies soon. But I think if any are from that area, they have other, more important things to deal with ❤
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
Perhaps & Others from Oklahoma,
What is the tornado situation there? Are you guys all right?

Do reply someone...anyone!
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-15)
hello ari...
I m absolutly fine... Dont worry about me... And you are right life is a journey... It goes on and you don't imagine how fast it went... And ofcause I will read your story... And yes I have more stories with me from my mother and my uncle (my father's brother) hehe... I said them about my publishing they were very happy about it you know... That's the reason they brought they stories to me... And yes I have used your MS WORD wala idea... Thankz for that...oh! Think its too very long for you... Well good night sweet dreams...
Thankz

Regards.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-15)
Hey Meghna,
I am fine, How have you been?
Don't worry about not being here... Enjoy your life. You won't be missing anything that takes place here, because everything stays here and doesn't pass.
But the phase of life you are in passes very quickly and you won't find it on any website later.

BTW,read my new story "Mystery Solved:A Ghost that wasn't" if and when you get time. No hurry and no worries.

Regards ❤

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: