You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Mystery Solved: A Ghost That Wasn't

Real Ghost Stories

Mystery Solved: A Ghost That Wasn't

 

I have personally had this experience a few years ago. I was encouraged by a few of my buddies on this site to submit this as a story, when they read it on the comments section of another story. So this story is dedicated to them.

It was a the end of summer and monsoon was approaching. I was alone in my home and I was busy with my textbooks in our living room sitting on the couch comfortably. It was cooler than usual and I had no need to put the ceiling fan on. The TV was not on. Our house is also far away from the hustle and bustle of the main roads, in the interiors, inside a private secluded colony. So, everything was on the quiet side. I was engrossed in my work.

Suddenly, my ears picked up a faint sound which sounded similar to the tinkling of anklets which is traditionally worn by women. I listened for some time, and then didn't bother because I thought somebody might be out for a walk and was passing by our house.

I got busy again with my books. But my ears were not ready to give up. I was still hearing those anklets!

Since it was getting on my nerves, I decided to investigate. I got up, looked out through the huge windows of our living room on the ground-floor,on to the street in front of our house. No one. Strange!

I went out through the front door, circled the perimeter of our enclosed compound with a flashlight in hand. No results again! Now I was feeling fear coursing through my spine! Still, I manned up, and went outside our main gate, circled the compound wall from the outside shining the light in every direction. Still no sign of anyone!

I suddenly realised, that all this time, I never even once did hear the anklets!

I ran back inside, shutting the main gate behind me and also locking the front door as I finally entered the safety of my home, or so I thought. I was, by then, sweating profusely. I gulped down a tumbler/glass full water and cautiously sat down again to resume my studies, albeit praying. No sooner had I opened the book, again it started. And this time it seemed nearer! It seemed to be coming from inside the enclosed garden, just outside the front door!

This time I was part angry at whatever was making that noise, besides being scared. So, I switched on my stealth mode (o ya... Had a built in stealth mode before I became this fat panda), and tiptoed to the garden after unlocking the front door as silently as I could. Curiously, and to my credit, the one with the anklets was still sounding them. But what amazed me most and scared me in the next moment that this thought that came to my mind; the sound was static!... It was coming from one place although it sounded like someone was wearing anklets and walking!

As I aggressed towards the intruder (ess), I discovered that the tinkling sound was coming from the direction of a certain bush. Now mind you, it had already grown dark all around and sunlight had been wiped out. Helped by whatever light was streaming out through our living room windows, I cautiously tiptoed towards the bush keeping my eyes fixed on it. The anklets were still sounding!

My heart was racing now. I was just about ready to see something, anything supernatural, and all those traditional stories and legends that I heard about anklet wearing otherworldly dames made matters much worse.

When I found myself close enough, yet safely far enough by my own measures, I strained my eyes to find out what could 'it' be and where exactly on, in or beside the bush was 'it'. Didn't see anything, still was hearing 'it'!

Somehow,I managed to flash the torchlight, still held in my hands, at the bush in a desperate last attempt. That's when I saw it.

I did not immediately realise what I was seeing, as the sound had stopped immediately as I had shone the light. I didn't want to turn off the flashlight, and as I had grown more curious, I cupped the flashlight letting only a faint glow out, filtered through my fingers. As soon as I did that, the sound recurred. This time I removed my cupped fingers quickly and the focus was directly on the bush. And I found my anklet wearing maiden!

This time when the light fell on the bush, the sound took a little more than a second more to stop. As if someone wearing the anklet took a step, stopped and retraced that step. For that fraction of a second I had kept my eyes peeled on the suspect whom I had seen in the bush, and it really turned out to be the culprit.

A CRICKET. A cricket no bigger than my thumb was sitting on one of the branches of the bush. It was still rubbing its hind legs when I quickly shone the light. That rubbing was creating the anklet wearing ghost. The clear and perfect sound of anklets started resonating again as soon as I switched the flashlight off. I turn the light on, or walk closer, it stops. I move away and turn away the light, somebody again walks wearing anklets. Huh~!

Heaving a sigh of relief, hanging my head in shame, I returned to my unfinished business.

Another lesson learned, outside of the books.

Other hauntings by Sceptic-Ari

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sceptic-Ari, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TheFinalGhostHunter (5 posts)
-1
2 years ago (2022-08-24)
Good tip for anklet-hearing, ghost-fearing folks. Wonder why your grandfather doesn't believe in ghosts after supposedly seeing one. I guess I should check the comments on that story and ask there.
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-13)
Ari,
Can I get your Email?
So that we could talk properly without disturbing any other users over here and also being in comment guidelines.
Waiting for your reply

Regards
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
Dear Mehgna,
How are you kiddo?
Do let me know what happened in my absence... That I missed!
Nothing Supernatural I suppose๐Ÿค”

Regards
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
Hello Ari,
Welcome Back, heard from you after a long time.
You missed so much what happened in the time of your absence.
By the way, hope you are doing fine.
Take care

Regards
Meghna
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-25)
hey Ari,

Yes everyone is happy...

Further I'm going to do BBA Then Financial manager in MBA...

You say about you...
What you at up to?

Regards
Meghna
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-18)
Nah...no worries...i'm good โค so wonderful to know you passed with flying colours ๐Ÿ˜
Your folks must be proud!

What next?
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-18)
Hey ari?...
You fine?

Reply as soon as possible.

Takecare
Meghna
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-17)
It's 3:17 in the morning here...shhhh...I can hear the anklets! ๐Ÿ˜ญ
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-11)
SO sorry replying you after a year.
I passed my 12th with 72% yippee...
Actually I didn't got time to even log in...
Missed you.
And say what about you?
Whats going on with your life?

Waiting for your reply.
Thanks for welcome back.

Meghna
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-16)
Meghna...how do I forget? ๐Ÿ˜ŠHow've you been dear?
What about the academics?
Do reply ๐Ÿ˜

A cool welcome back (according to the Indian seasonal changes ๐Ÿ˜‰)
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-15)
hey ari...
Remember me still?...
Or forgot who im?. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Regards
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
Hello, Dip, I don't know about 'legendary' but yep, I be Ari's 'Holmes' to his Watson. Pleased to meetcha. ๐Ÿ˜Š Don't let him fool you though, he's not nearly as 'bumbling'as he likes to pretend. Yes, I did mean metaphorically, as in perhaps part of their funeral attire. It seems to me that many of the East Indian stories I read have spirit's wearing jingling anklets, and got curious as to if this might be why. But, I see by Ari's answer it is not the case. Hmmmm...
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
Mostly not Val. I never seen or heard of any such ritual.
Special requests are always an exception, but if one is cremated, there is no way to do that.
Dip1904 (115 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
hi val,

Ah you are the legendary 'holmes' ari speaks of. *bows*:P hehe

On your question, could you clarify whether you are asking that women are put to rest as in literally or metaphorically (as in, after their demise) ?
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
Ari, I have a question about the anklets. Are the women often put to rest wearing them?
Dip1904 (115 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
[ [at] skeptic ari] haha... Deal!:) ... Looking forward to a wonderful time here
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
Yikes!Dip,addressing me as Holmes amounts to slander against the name, especially because I am the stumbling-bumbling sidekick,Watson.Valkricry is my Holmes.
Thank you for the kindness, but I am anything but modest,IMHO.
So the deal is, you call me Ari, and I call you Kaku ๐Ÿ˜œ ok ok... I call you Dip.Happy?๐Ÿ˜Š
Regards
Dip1904 (115 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
haha - well. I don't know about veterans on the subject of this respected site but... I would know a good sense of humour when I see one ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜œ...

Nonetheless, as you aptly put about the info of the site, there are really noble veterans still fighting the crusade between the balance of the worlds and I heavily respect that.

Oh my dear holmes... You are anything but a rookie... (for instance, 'modesty' coming up as a vocab on my mind... Lol) ... Keep up the good work of providing life on the site...

PS - dipda tokhon jodi ami boro hoi ๐Ÿ˜œ...
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
OMG Dip! (or would you prefer Dipda/Dip dada)
You said THAT on the comments section of my own story; you don't like them! How could you? ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Just kidding ๐Ÿ˜œ I know what you mean ๐Ÿ˜Š
Thank you for your kind (er) words. Appreciation means a lot to a rookie like me.
To tell you the truth, I am just a novice when it comes to the Supernatural. We got a lot many veterans on this site, whom I deeply respect for their rationality as well as their keen knowledge of the paranormal. One name that I can vouch for is rookdygin. I know all who read this comment shall agree.
Thanks for the morale boost.
Regards
Dip1904 (115 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
hehe, ari then it is. ๐Ÿ˜ but are you sure?... Arida or ari dada cholbe na?

I meant the fact - "Another lesson learned, outside of the books."... It has a universal truth in it. Whether be it investigating something out of the natural or just learning even normal / natural lessons in life. Deep thought.

Besh bhalo laglo - I am an avid fan of your posts rather than your stories ๐Ÿ˜œ... And hope to know more of your intellect... Regarding the supernatural ๐Ÿ˜œ... Asha kori tumi majhe majhe dekha debe (hoping that you would show up at times)
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
Hi Dip,
Thanks for reading and appreciating๐Ÿ˜Š
Amar kon kothata bhabar moton bujhte parlam na?
Kintu amake Dadabhai bolte hobe na, its a request. You may call me Ari if it fancies you๐Ÿ˜

And about the sabbaticals;not achieved the Samadhi yet, but gotta keep on trying ๐Ÿ˜‰

Regards
Dip1904 (115 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-22)
[sceptic-ari] tumi mondo kichu boloni, kotha ta bhabar moton. Anyways dadabhai tumi ki ar ei medium e asha bondho kore diyecho? Achieved samaadhi kya?
Dip1904 (115 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-10)
awesome. Finally one mystery solved!. Kudos for writing a brilliant piece skeptic ari:D
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-14)
Hahahah! Oh my god ari, you had my heart pounding so hard against my chest. These anklet wearing white saree ghosts in india are so overdone aren't they?! Shit I was so nervous while reading your story... I was going to read it as a last story before sleeping, but it managed to completely wake me up- that's how scared I was... The end was totally unexpected. Very well written I must say- the way you built up the suspense until the end is commendable:) and congratulations on courageously solving the mystery. I don't think I would've had the guts to go out there! Take care:)
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-21)
No worries, Ari. I'm sure there will be many others just as interesting. And, I might add it is wise of you to know when something is 'out of your depth'. I hope all is well with you. (I do have a new story up).
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-21)
My dear Holmes/val,
I am afraid that I am completely out of my depth here, either about the "guardian" or about the experience๐Ÿ˜•
Thus, I hope you would understand if I refrain from commenting ๐Ÿ˜ณ
Thanks for the invite though, I apologise for being late to the party ๐Ÿค”

Love & Regards
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-20)
Hey, Ari -
Dear Watson, please check out the story titled " The Guardians Island". It's...ummm...interesting ๐Ÿ˜‰
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-20)
Oops...shoulda thought 'bout that meself & put me query here ๐Ÿ˜†

Don't sweat o'r it though ๐Ÿ˜‰ Only at your leisure ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Love
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-20)
Ari - I moved this over to your story to not detract from the o/p's story any more than we have LOL

Age brackets? Well, that's something we have mulled over many times and I'm still not sure we (anyone involved in the discussions) have exactly figured it out ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'll look and see if I can find the thread of one of the conversations that might explain it. I'll let you know if I do ๐Ÿ˜Š
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-31)
Ah there you are...so, have you found some tales doubt worthy?
PS: 50-50 is a brand of biscuit here which I find nom-nom ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: