You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Few On The Lighter Side

Real Ghost Stories

A Few On The Lighter Side

 

Really happy to have found this website, and to share my experiences with others.

I live in an old home. It was built in a sleepy village in Illinois around the date of 1870; I can't be sure, as the original blueprints to the house no longer exist. I have lived here for the majority of my 25 years, save a couple here and there. I have inherited the home and now live here alone.

I used to have roommates. One of them was gravely aware of the age of the home, and sort of expected ghostly happenings to come as a result of this. Fortunately, he never quite experienced anything I would consider a "real" haunting - not discrediting, but I have had enough experience with the paranormal here, that I can differentiate between a strange noise pets or the creaky old home makes, and something truly out of the ordinary.

The other roommate of mine was more sensitive to this type of stuff, but did not voice it like the other. One evening this past summer, I was sitting in my den. My roommate was in the living room, reading a book. Suddenly, I hear his voice, in such a tone which made me get up and want to ask, "What's wrong?" He was clearly unnerved. I went into the room and began to speak, when he cut me off and asked, pointing to the ceiling, "Do you hear that?" At first, it sounded like a far-off motorcycle. Then I realised it was coming from the second floor. I only heard it for about two or three seconds, when it cut off. It was a distinct sound of a wooden object rolling across the wooden floor, and it seemed directly above me, which would have been in the upstairs hallway. It sounded like a large, wooden object, slowly rolling across the floor. I pictured a wooden dumb-bell type object in my mind. The living room is the room in the home which has the staircase leading up to the second floor, so the staircase is visible to anyone in the living room. I took one look at him and he looked at me, then said, "You hear it too!" He was clearly nervous about this, but insisted we check it out. We had done much cleaning before they had moved in, so there were no random objects on the floor. There were certainly no wooden objects to have made such a distinct noise. We went into every room, just to make sure our imaginations weren't getting the better of us and nothing.

Later that night, we were talking with our other roommate and a friend who had come over. My roommate who experienced this had had a couple of drinks in him by then, so he was far more willing to discuss the event, when I asked him about it again.

He said he had heard this "rolling" noise for about a minute, before he called me in. What really freaked him out was getting a distinct impression that someone had come down the stairs, stopped at the bottom, and looked at him. That is what made him call me in. He said to me, "It felt like your mom. I know that is not something to joke about, but she noticed me and she LOOKED right at me. I didn't see anything, but I certainly felt it!" My mom had just passed away a couple of months before this. He said there was no fear, the entity was not unpleasant, and it was just the shock which made him call out to me.

I trust this person with my life, and I know he is very sceptic on the whole thing. For years, I'd tell him about how my home was haunted, but I didn't get any sort of reaction from him. He never quite gave it much thought. When he told me this with absolute dead-certainty in his voice I couldn't help believe him. I also know for a fact that I heard the exact noise he was describing, right above my head, which adds to the credibility of the story.

Far more where this came from, but certainly a good one to start off with.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jupiter_rising, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
jupiter-rising,

Thanks for the story. It was one of those straight forward stories I like. I would like to know what your answer is to Miracles' question.

Cosmogal926,
When I read the last part of your first comment, it took me a minute to realize that the poster you were talking about was deleted. I don't know what this person said but sometimes it's just good to delete it and move on. If you give them the fuel, they will keep blowing out the fire.
MizMiMi02 (8 stories) (56 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-26)
I like this one, and it's going to my favorites. Glad to see a story that isn't a constant "oh by the way", or a mess of run on sentences with no punctuation. Like others, I am wondering if you can associate these sounds with your mom in any way.
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-24)
As Miracles noted, the story is really well done - just the facts, and well-told facts at that - a pleasure to read!

I was wondering the same thing: Do the sounds remind you of your mother in any way?

Do spirits make themselves known to friends or associates of loved ones because the sight might frighten the loved ones? I read that somewhere long time ago.

I look forward to reading more.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
Jupiter_rising, I just wanted to explain the last part my comment. It was in reference to someone who posted something nasty towards miracles, but it got deleted. 😆
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
Wow great story! I have also heard a lot of accounts about passed on relatives appearing or making contact with people other than their family members. I believe sometimes its easier to get through to someone who isn't emotionally involved. Think it is great that your roommate was able to let you know your mom is still looking out for you. Thank you for sharing this with us.

TheJokesonu: nobody is laughing. Why such hostility towards Miracles? Did she kill your dog or something? I don't understand how someone with a brand "new" account can be so angry so soon. 😕
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-11-23)
jupiter-rising - what a great story! No fanfare, no over abundance of drama! I love it, absolutely love it 😊

When you found out your roommate had seen your mom, did the sound you heard "ring any bells" that you could associate with your mom?

I've read several stories on here where non-living family members have "ran into" their family's friends, while their family is in another room and never even knew. Does that even make sense? 😆

Anyway, I really enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: