You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Skeptic Turned Believer Early In Life

Real Ghost Stories

Skeptic Turned Believer Early In Life

 

When I was a young boy, I was skeptical about the existence of spirits. Before I became a teenager, my dad was always telling me about spirits he had seen. We went fishing when I was I guess about 12 or 13. While fishing he called out "where are you". I asked him who he was talking to. He said didn't you hear someone calling for help out in the water. I said no. He kept it up asking this non-existent person where he or she was located. He said someone was out there in the bayou calling for help. I really thought my dad was bonkers for a long time with all this foolishness.

But then one day I came home from school and laid down in bed to take a nap. I was 16 at the time. As I started to doze off, I felt the bed go down and thought my sister was playing a trick on me just to annoy me. When I looked around, nobody was there. I didn't see anything, but I felt the presence of something and it started walking back and forth between my legs on one side, then it would switch over to the other side, but it would always having one foot between my legs and the other toward the right or left of my body. It would walk toward me and stop at my groin, then walk back toward my feet. It would stop at my feet, switch to the other side and walk back toward me. It just kept doing this. Well, this scared me and I knew this was not my imagination, as I didn't even believe in ghosts.

When I went to bed that night and many nights that followed, I could feel it crawl into bed with me. When I tried to ignore it hoping to go to sleep, it seemed to get angry. In my attempt to ignore it, instead of walking back and forth, it would run back and forth to keep me awake. When I would pay attention to it, it would calm down and just slowly walk back and forth. I would finally through exhaustion eventually fall asleep. It had 2 feet that seemed to be very tiny like a cat. I dreaded going to bed at night. I could feel it crawl into bed with me each night. I did not see impressions in the bed as it walked back and forth. It's hard to explain but I could feel its presence and movements. I told my mother and she had a priest come over to bless the house and me. I don't think the priest believed me, because before he left, he said son I hope you get better. It finally let up after a few months, but would come and go for several years. I somehow learned to tune it out of my life and the visits finally stopped. But it didn't end there.

I was at a friend's house and had my first poltergeist experience. I was in my late thirties. I went to the bathroom and locked the door. I'm a fanatic about making sure doors are locked after leaving or entering. Suddenly the door just popped open. I thought my friend opened the door on me as a prank. When I looked out of the bathroom, my friend was sitting on the sofa. I simply closed the bathroom door again and made sure it was locked, pulling on it to make sure it was fully engaged and and it wouldn't budge. As soon as I turned away from the door, it popped open again. I didn't want to alarm my friend or appear like a nut, so I asked if there was anything strange going on in the house. My friend said that sometimes the door moves back and forth, but attributed to the air conditioner. But it didn't stop there either.

When I was 60 years old, I had my first vision. It was a vision of my former childhood sweetheart's mother. It stayed with me for 3 days. I could tell that this was nothing evil like my first experience. I was comfortable with it the whole 3 days. When I closed my eyes at night I went right to sleep. It was a lady I had known in the early nineteen sixties. She didn't try to keep me awake or frighten me, but when I would wake up in the morning, there she would be right in front of my eyes. I could tell she was trying to tell me something, but since she didn't speak to me, the only thing I had to go on was that she always had a strange expression on her face. It wasn't a happy expression, but it wasn't a sad expression. I didn't understand why she came to me. She didn't appear to me in full form or even as person. She actually appeared to me as a picture in black and white through out the day until I went to sleep. But she never interfered with my daily activities. I believe she appeared to me that way so as not to frighten me, as did that teenage experience.

Shortly after this vision, I picked up my mother to taker her out to eat. Just as I turned at an intersection where a gas station was located on the way to the restaurant, a man at this gas station opened his door on his car. The last name of the lady that appeared to me was neatly handwritten on the car door. Just nearly at the same time, the door on the other side opened with her name on it. I guess it was someone with the same last name as hers, most likely advertising something. I must admit I was stunned, as this is not a common last name. This seemed more than a coincidence, especially when I thought about the timing of my turning just as the doors opened with her last name on the doors. It was as if to confirm to me that the vision was not my imagination. This along with the fact this occurred shortly after my vision.

I was determined to somehow to figure out why she chose to visit me. Especially this late in life and why. But I just didn't know how to go about it. I thought about John Edward and Jean Dixon explaining that the spirits don't actually hold a conversation with them, but they have to decipher the signs they are given by the spirits. I know many are skeptical about this, as I was too. If spirits have the power to visit you, then why don't they just speak to you? I guess they are limited, and I know that sounds ridiculous to many. But I am now a believer of that too and I will explain why.

As I said this lady had a strange expression on her face and that always bugged me. I always assumed that a vision from a dead person was a message of a death warning, and that may have been partly true. That strange expression on her face was the sign I needed to decipher. As I said I thought maybe it was a death warning from the lady concerning her daughter. I thought that possibly she wanted me to contact her daughter to have her have a health screening for a terminal disease. You see her daughter was my high school sweetheart. I had intended on asking her to marry me, but to make a long story short, my sister had something to do with our relationship turning sour. At the time I just didn't understand why she came to me, if that was the case. I haven't seen her daughter since 1965 and didn't know if she still lived in this state. I decided to take a chance and make a total fool of myself. I located her address through one of those Internet companies you pay. I was also concerned that she may get the impression that I made up this story to try to reconnect with her for a new relationship. I'm married and so is she.

I sent a letter to her and she called me. I was relieved that she didn't think I was a nut, or up to any funny business. She is into the spiritual world and told me that her husband both had an experience with a spirit in their old home. Well, with permission from my wife and her husband, she wanted to have lunch with me. She also reconnected with my sister and they got together. You'll see my sister played a role in my life with my high school sweetheart.

I finally discovered what her mother was trying to tell me. Remember I said her mother had a strange expression, not sad but not happy either. Well that that was the sign, which was the whole key to what she wanted to tell me. One day it just hit me what that expression on my old sweetheart's mother's face was trying to tell me. That facial expression said, man do I have something to not only tell you but to actually show you. What she was trying to tell me is that her daughter still loved me. How do I know? She told me twice. Once on the phone when she called me after receiving my letter sight unseen. This after about 40 years. The second time (and most embarrassing) time was in front of her husband. She hugged me tight, kissed me, and said in the presence of her husband "I love you". I was speechless and he didn't even get angry, but I'm sure he was hurt by that. All he said before I left is "don't be a stranger, come over sometimes."

You see we were in love, but my sister talked her into going out with her to places to meet guys, since she lost her boyfriend. I somehow had either blocked out of my mind all these years that my sister was at least in part responsible for our breakup; or I just didn't realize what a major role she played in our breakup. My sister and I didn't get along back then and she didn't care if I lost the girl I originally intended to marry. My sister actually introduced the girl I loved to the guy she married. The marriage lasted a little over a year. My former girlfriend realized she made a mistake and wanted to get back with me. We did for a short time, but I guess I carried some bitterness and things just didn't seem right, so I decided to move on.

What does this have to do with my vision. I also believe possibly my old sweetheart's mother wanted to not only show me, but also show my sister what she had done. She may have wanted to show my sister that she may have ruined our future together. The reason I say this is that my old girlfriend told me after we reconnected, that her mother was not happy about what my sister did. My sister seems strangely connected to my old girlfriend in other ways, though I have not figured out why. When we all reconnected, we discovered the last 4 numbers of my old girlfriend's telephone number was also the last 4 numbers of my sister's phone number. Another "coincidence" is my sister and my ex girlfriend did not see each other for about 40 years. During that time of no contact my ex girlfriend had a boy and named him Britt. My sister had a girl and named her Brittany.

Now I wondered why did this lady waited until I was 60 years old to reveal all this to me along with my sister. Possibly she didn't want to bring us together early in life, maybe to eliminate the possibility of us to reconsider getting back together, which would break up our marriages. Of course that is just a guess.

Also, it turned out there was a death involved and maybe this was a part of this lady's timing. My mother passed away a few months later. After she died, we went back to my mother's house to tell the lady that was taking care of her, that mother died. I was about to tell her mother died, but before I could tell her, she said she I know your mother died. Of course mother was seriously ill, so this would not have surprised her, but according to her, she also had a strange experience. She explained how she already had known mother died before we came to tell her. She said your mother was here. She said she heard simultaneous knocks on all the doors in the house at 3 am, which was about 20 minutes after mother was pronounced dead. She said this did not frighten her, because she believes my mother was just telling her goodbye.

After my mother died, we moved to another town. After we moved into our house, one morning I had just awakened when I heard a woman moaning in our bedroom. My wife was still sleeping. I was going to wake her up and tell her what I had heard, but I thought she probably wouldn't believe me, so I didn't say anything. Then I heard it again. Suddenly, my wife popped up and said "did you hear that". I told her that I did and that was the second time I heard it. I found it odd that my house would be haunted, as this was our newly built house. I don't know if that was just my mother's way of telling us goodbye, but we never heard it again.

My former high school sweetheart and I went our separate ways and we both are happy that we reconnected. Fantastic coincidences? Nobody will ever convince me of that.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BAYOUMAN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

devraj (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
WOW! An awesome story... The mother really wanted her daughter to reconnect hence gave the vision... Thanks for sharing your great experience.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
Good story, well told, well written,... Not much more to be said really...
flyclarinet (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
This is a really sweet story.:) I love how the mother wanted you and her daughter to reconnect and talk. I like how her husband reacted to the hug and kiss. She probably already told him about her feelings for you are the same and he understood.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: