You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Family Paranormal Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

Family Paranormal Experiences

 

I don't know if every one of these are paranormal phenomenon but most of them are. These are some things that my father, mother, older brother and I have all experienced.

My mother's stories

My mom grew up in Colorado and moved around a lot. At one point in her life she lived in a very old house, built sometime in the 1800's. She would often hear music in the house that sounded like it was coming from the walls. She said she could also hear drinks being poured and the sound of distant laughter. My mom wasn't the only one who experienced this. Anyone who stayed at the house always said they heard "parties" in the walls along with laughter and music. My mom and her older brother would also often see two people around the house: A young girl of about 10-12 years of age in a Victorian style dress and a tall, human-shaped shadow that looked like a man but had no distinctive facial features. My mom told me she would always be extremely frightened to go to sleep at night because of the ghosts.

When my mother was grown up and my older brother who is 20 years old was a baby, she moved into a new house. Things would often "move themselves" (moving without any visible help) and she told me that she once felt someone literally jump onto her bed next to her and could see a visible indent as though someone was sitting there but there was no visible being... Just the indent in the bed.

My father's stories

My father doesn't have as many experiences as my mother but he does have a couple.

The first one was when he was in a conference when he and one other person saw a half man-half animal creature in the room. I don't know what it would be called.

The second one was when we were in our vacation house in the mountains and late at night he heard someone calling "Dad, dad" which was weird because we were all asleep. He asked me in the morning what I wanted the night before and I asked what he meant. He said that he heard what sounded like me calling him several times but I never even got out of bed that night.

My older brother only has one.

He used to see these "monkeys" when he was pre-school age and would often run crying to my mom about the "monkeys" in his room that were scaring him. This happened for years. It could easily have been an over-active childhood imagination or it could have been something else.

My stories

I have a few stories that may or may not be paranormal but they are odd.

When I was much younger, about 7-9, I would see this figure running about in different places in our house. I could not see any features or clothing... It was just an outline of a human shape but I saw it many times.

When I was 11 or 12, I was home alone on my computer upstairs. Not one single person was home but me. I heard the front door creak open downstairs and my name was called loudly twice. It sounded like a female voice so, thinking it was my younger sister or mother that just got home, I went to look and ask my mom or sister, whichever one it was, what they needed. No one was there but me. When my sister and mother got home I asked if they had come home earlier and called my name. They looked at me like I was crazy and my mom said "No, we've been at the grocery store the whole time."

When I was twelve, I was standing in the living room gazing out the window when I saw two small white figures dash by. They were fast and I have no idea what they could have been.

At the age of fourteen or so, I began having these odd sleep paralysis experiences. The first one happened randomly and out of the blue. I was dreaming at first. I was walking through a forest and noticing that I was alone then I heard a voice that said "You're not alone. I'm here." and that's when I awoke to the feeling of being sat on and held down. I couldn't breathe, talk, scream... No sound would come out of me. I remember being absolutely petrified. I felt a negative presence in my room but did not lift the blankets for fear or someone being there. It started happening at the same time every night... Shortly before 5 am. I got really scared and started sleeping on the floor in my sisters room. I was fine the first couple of nights but then I woke up to that feeling of being suffocated and sat on again but this time something even weirder happened. My blankets were literally lifted off of me. No, I am not lying. It happened and when I peeked out of my covers about 2 seconds later, my sister and mother were fast asleep in bed and I felt the negative presence again but didn't see anything. That was the last time that happened and I've slept fine ever since but I still don't know if it's sleep paralysis or something else.

Hope you enjoyed my stories and leave comments if you like!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jessica93096, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jessica93096 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-20)
[at] zetafornow

Thank you 😊 Yes, my family and I do communicate with each other a lot about these things although I'd say I'm the one who is the most interested in the paranormal. I do agree with you that most people have experienced something with the paranormal at least once but don't want to believe out of fear of the unknown or something like that.

I also love old Victorian houses and would love to visit the one my mother grew up in but unfortunately it is very far away and probably inhabited by someone else now.

Thank you for reading my story and commenting. 😊

Jessica
jessica93096 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-20)
[at] Shlain:

Hello. In my dream, the voice did appear to be a rather sinister voice, unfortunately, which I think is part of the reason I woke up so scared. I considered sleep paralysis though but I was fully awake when I felt the presence and the feeling of being suffocated so I think it may have been something evil.

Thanks for commenting and reading my story.

Jessica 😊
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Jessica93096,

The voice that said "you're not alone. I'm here", was it a threatening voice? I'm thinking that perhaps it was your spirit quide letting you know you're not alone especially after what you went through afterwards. I had a similar dream where I walked through a forrest following a white rabbit and that's when my spirit guide made himself known to me.

This is just me of course.

Thanks for sharing
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
Hi Jessica:

It says you are a teen but you have a very good way of expressing your stories. What I like about this post is that it seems as if you and your family communicate a lot about all of your experiences... Kind of a share and tell. That is really cool because I think more people than not have witnessed something paranormal but just don't want to "see" it or believe it. Also, the ability to witness paranormal does seem to run in familys.

The old Victorian house that your mother used to live in sounds quite fascinating. Sounds like a "party" I would like to go to, plus I love old Victorian houses... Haunted or not.

You might want to jot some of these stories down in a journal since you are so young and may forget. I used to do that when I was younger and still do sometimes.

Very interesting, thanks. Zeta.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
Thanks for sharing those stories, Jessica. I especially liked the party sounds in the walls, and I think it would be interesting to research the history of that house or site.

Each one of my family members has had some unexplained experiences, too, and we have all shared them over the years. Each one is different. It proves my theory that there are many, many occurrences that cannot be explained. Some may be paranormal, others not, but all are fascinating! Thanks again for taking the time to share with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: