You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Black Hat, Trench Coat, Changing Face And Loss Of Time

Real Ghost Stories

Black Hat, Trench Coat, Changing Face And Loss Of Time

 

It was 8:07 pm and there was an amazing pink sunset that summer night. I remember the view coming down the hill that night. My sister and I needed to run to the 711 that was about 3 miles away to grab a pack of smokes and some vino. Classy I know, but I was 21 at the time and was glad to be able to.

So, mission accomplished, we headed home. Couldn't have been gone longer than 10 minutes. However, when we got to the main intersection after driving through the suburbs for 5 mins, the night seemed to have fallen rather quickly. I mean it was DARK. On top of that, the fog rolled in like no one's business and fog in San Diego in the middle of summer is almost unheard of, at least at 8 pm, inland.

So, we sat at the main intersection to get home which crossed a main thoroughfare, and we sat, and we sat. We realized that quite some time had passed and absolutely NO cars. On a MAIN thoroughfare that is quite busy. We had been talking together like us gals do, that we didn't even notice that the radio wasn't playing any music. I assumed I had turned the volume down... NOPE. We only realized that when we looked down at the clock and it was 8:52 pm. 8:52 pm? That made no sense, and we commented on it. And fog? And complete darkness like it would be at say 3 AM? WAIT! We were so confused and commented as such. I would have ran the light but this is a major intersection and with the fog from nowhere... BAD idea. I mean God forbid a car rolled through right then. I, being the older sister, opted to wait it out and lighted another smoke, still trying to get the tunes on the radio to work, a no go.

My sister and I got real quiet while we waited, conversation died from confusion. So we puffed on our smokes, looking around, commenting on how creepy everything felt and then at the same time said, "What the HELL is that?". Not "WHO" but "WHAT". Because it was so bizarre. Out of a deep ravine that ran along the thoroughfare that was full of Eucalyptus trees came a thing. I won't even call it a man. It was wearing a black wide brimmed hat and a trench coat, that was for sure. The rest is unexplainable. It had no feet, it had no hands, and it did not move like a human. It looked like it was walking with a limp or like it was in a body that it didn't know how to operate. It "walked" straight out of this ravine (which is not possible) forest area, onto this highway and made a "B-line" for my car. And I use the term "walk" very loosely. It was awkward and weird. I thought for a second that I should help him because he seemed to be having trouble. Then I noticed how swiftly he was navigating this road and realized... It was headed straight for my car. And with PURPOSE.

As it advanced I stared straight under that hat so I could remember this very odd situation and I'll say this, to this day, I cannot describe what I saw. His face seemed to morph. It looked like an owl, a turtle, an eagle, a horse, and at one point a human (but looked like a stereotypical mask type face with no distinguishing marks) it just kept changing.

My sister started to get hysterical, and at the same time we both were saying, "WTF? WTF? WTF?" over and over because it was completely unexplainable. She yelled at me to roll up the window, which I did, but we still sat and stared. He crossed about 60 yds in 5 seconds. He was headed straight for my car... There was nothing else in sight, it had to be us. My sister was screaming at me to run the light, but I couldn't. Call it curiosity, numbness, not wanting to cross a highway in thick fog... I don't know. I was not moving. In retrospect, it was complete curiosity. I was scared, no doubt. But, I wanted to see what he was doing.

He got within feet of my car, inches, on the drivers side, my side, then I realized he wanted us! He lunged for my door handle and had what seemed like freakishly LONG arms. At that EXACT moment the light turned green and I FLOORED it outta there. ODD at best. We crossed the intersection before I looked in the rear view mirror. My sister, however, stared at him the whole way through and as we sped off, his arms raised in the air as to say "UGH". She told me to see how he was throwing, what she called, "a tantrum in the intersection." My eyes on the road, going back up said first hill in the beginning of the story, I didn't catch it. She said she watched him vanish into thin air. I just saw that he was gone, no longer in the middle of the road.

So we get home and my mom is freaking out at us and standing in the middle of the driveway with the neighbors, crying. We get inside the house and the clock is reading 10:43. 10:43!? Where had that time gone? We told her the story, I'm assuming, and because she told us we did several years later, but don't remember doing that and never talked about that experience for at least 5 years. Ever. Not the next morning. Not with my mom, she didn't bring it up. Nada. It was like it was gone from our memory.

Then one evening my sister and I were on my balcony, 5-6 years later, and I have no idea how or why, but the whole story popped up into my head and I asked her if she remembered it. She went completely pale and we were both covered in goose bumps. It felt like a dream because I hadn't thought about it since, but was completely real because I KNOW I lived it. She told the exact same recollection I had without any guidance. It was like it was erased from our memory but once it popped back in and we talked about it, it was as vivid as like it had happened yesterday. I remember every detail, obviously. It's still as vivid... 9 years later. She hates when I bring it up actually and gets sick to her stomach. I find it fascinating and am totally curious what do you all think...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, leelee143, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ladydarke (113 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
Snortatoot, I don't know that the original poster will be back from a story this old, but it sounds like your man in black was a real flesh-and-blood person, yes? I don't know that there's any basis in drawing a parallel between a living, breathing human and this story's fog-generating, fear-inducing, time-influencing entity that shapeshifts like Enas Yorl (character from Thieves World anthology series).

To me, your guy sounds like every LARPER or tabletop RPG geek I've ever known -- black-clad, 50% chance of trenchcoat (roll to determine, lol), glasses because he's a nerd and near-sighted from a lifetime of reading, unique hat as a signature piece to distinguish him from every other black-trenchcoater, and a satchel loaded with gaming books and laptop. Kept to himself because he's probably more scared of people in general than you were scared of him -- ever seen the anime Princess Jellyfish where the nerds literally petrify due to social anxiety whenever spoken to? If he had ever 'grabbed' anyone, it probably would be to rant about the specific rules and min-maxes of whatever RPG he was currently involved in.

The best way to resolve mysteries around real people is to talk to them. You could have missed out on getting to know a really interesting individual - someone interesting enough to make what sounds like a lifetime impression on you. I'm not saying put yourself in potential danger by approaching strangers in secluded areas, but this sounds like an open public street with people on it.

To the original poster, this is a really cool scary story.
Snortatoot (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
I just re-read my previous comment and noticed that each time I wrote the word "story", it came out as "clown". Don't know why. Even our comments seem to be haunted! Anyway, they should read story, not clown.
Snortatoot (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-31)
To leelee143. I am so intrigued by your story and here is why: When I was growing up in San Diego (Hillcrest) there was a man that all of the area knew as we would see him walking the main street often. He wore a black trench coat, a big black hat (almost like a short, stove pipe hat) and carried a very large black satchel. No one knew who he was or why he wandered the streets. It was rumored that he was a very rich eccentric and carried all of his money in the large briefcase. He wore black, horn-rimmed glasses and had black hair. I can not tell you how scared I was of him when I was little. Usually I only saw him from our passing car, but if I saw him when I was walking, I would cross to the other side of the street because I knew he would grab me. On this main street was a canyon with a guard rail, with a whole woods of eucalyptus trees on the other side of the rail - just like in your story. Do you remember the street you were on when the story took place? Was it in Hillcrest? This is the older part of San Diego, close to the Gaslight District. I am thinking there may be a connection between your story and mine. I just happened to be thinking about the man today and Googled black hat, black trench coat and San Diego and your match came up. Anxious to hear back from you.
Becky
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
Ah,I get what you mean by fog now. Not the heavy 'where'd you go' fog we get out here, but the lighter what we call mist? It's there, you can see it, but it really doesn't block your vision, or distort anything. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
I have absolutely no idea what you saw. It sounds too terrifyig to be real. I'm not saying it wasn't real, just having a hard time bending my mind around it.Please, don't take that wrong. You and your sister saw the same thing so obviously it was as you percieved it to be - flippin' scary!
leelee143 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
And as I ruminate on this over the years, the part that weirds me out the most is obviously his weirdo face changing and body movement, but the worst was his arms... His freakishly LONG arms that were reaching grabbing touching my car door, trying to get it open. I was driving a white VW Jetta and you have to pull towards you in a special fashion on those door handles, it wasn't a pull up situation... He seemed to struggle with that. He scrambled. It seemed to be our saving grace oddly enough. In retrospect of course.
leelee143 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
As for the question of seeing the man through the fog... We were in a major intersection with 4 street lights barreling down on us. The light wasn't even an issue, nor was the fog. The weirdness with the fog was that there was ANY at all. Not an issue in SD this time of year. He popped up out of that ravine some 100 ft away from us. I said 60 yds, which seems about accurate. And under those lights, he was clear as day. Especially since he was headed straight at me, I saw everything exactly as I was meant to. As for why the light didn't change... That's where my problem lies... Where my questions start... It was as if we were meant to be kept in that spot to witness this, or be subjected to this and/or whatever other plans he had in store. I will say this, no matter how bad that fog was, which wasn't like east coast fog, but bad for San Diego, I could still see him finagle himself out of a ravine he had no business coming from. And it was only 100-150 someodd ft from my car. Of which we were waiting to drive to get home... All of this was very vivid and apparent given the situation. Not only that, but he moved from that place where he came from in the ravine to my car in about 5 secs... As he got closer, the more oddities his face displaced. I have to tell you, he is still as real to me as any other being I come in contact with. Only you guys stick around... I am still mind bent over this...
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
Holy Sh*t! That is definitely scary & creepy... If that was me, I would of p*ssed my pants for sure... This 1 is goin in my favorites...
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
I think, in your shoes, I would have said much worse than 'wtf'...although I am a little confused that you could see such detail in thick fog. But then again, the fog could explain part of why he looked so weird. Anyway you slice it, it would still be scary.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-02)
I just taking a wild guess here but for the time thing, it could have a shift in time. What I mean is, if anything of the paranormal happens, the person (s) that gets effected, they loose track of time but once the experience is finished, they find out the real time and see the difference; so basically, time holds still. I could be wrong but I'm just putting it out there.

And like bizzjoe asked, why did it take the light so long to change?
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-29)
I had a similar experience with the time loss, with a friend of mine, although we did not see the same thing you did. We saw a woman with a twisted face, as if her face had been shifted or something. The cars clock was jumping back and forth and I believe it was right around 3 hours we couldn't account for.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-29)
*sigh* on the RIGHT of the page LOL! 😆 😆 😆

And I have to write more so there you go...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-29)
rosemay: At the top of the page just under the title, on the left you'll see a heart, an envelope (to e-mail the story) and a printer (obvious 😆) Click on the heart...Also, the heart beside the author's name will put them in your fave posters' list! 😊
rosemay (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-29)
Sorry for the off topic, but how do I add stories to my favorites?
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-29)
why did it take so long for the lights to change? As for the thing you saw, could it have been a guy in a costume acting like a mog?
radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-29)
Absolutely terrifying! I would have to think this is not just the spook of a motorist accident victim. It has elements of "The Hat Man" entity, but not the usual detached watching - that's for sure. Throw in the time issues and it's a real puzzler. Thanks for a tale destined for my favorites.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: