You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I Believe

Real Ghost Stories

I Believe

 

My parents never really discussed the subject of "ghosts" with me as a child/teenager. Their reaction was always one of disbelief, but they never came out and said there is no such thing.

This attitude changed when we moved to a house on South 13 Street.

It was a very old building, recently sold to a neighbor. My parents did not know at the time of renting the flat, that the old owner who passed away did not have a very good relationship with the new owner.

It had been said that the old owner put a "curse" on the building saying that if the warring neighbor would purchase it, they would never had good luck with the structure. We were the fourth tenant in the upper flat in 3 years.

I was 12 at the time we moved and loved having my own room, until living in this flat. I always had the feeling that I was being watched. I woke often in the middle of the night to the sounds of people walking around and nobody was awake. The night time creeps were not just my problem, but the same with my younger brother and sister. It got so bad that none of us could sleep alone anymore.

My sister would talk of hearing people walking and noises at night. My brother was extremely young, but the back of the house became a place that seemed to terrorize him. Being the oldest, and having to set a good example, I finally started agreeing with my younger siblings and refused to stay in my back bedroom.

After 4 months of living in the upper flat, I overheard my parents talking saying that they had to move. My father was tired of running up to the attic to see who was walking around and my mother was afraid to be in the place alone during the day for the very same reason.

We moved quickly, and to everyone's relief, the night terrors that plagued us all ended with the move. From then on, when discussing the possibility of "ghosts" neither of my parents ridiculed the believers since they were also now believers.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wgsmms, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

evilspirit2 (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Dear author, after reading your story I too started believing in the Ghosts. After all that is what you wanted us to do... ❤
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
Your story reminds me of something.
I once lived in a rather large building containing many many flats/apartments. Because of the structure I could hear my neighbours.
The first night I lived there I could 'hear' someone walking in my kitchen. Nobody was there... Turned out to be the sound of one of my neighbour walking around in his apartment (getting a midnight snack). Because of the construction footsteps and all kind of movements could be heared through multiple layers.
I could also hear all kinds of talking... But these muffled sounds came through the pipes.
It all sounded very spooky, but none of it were paranormal.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
Wgmms
I'm sorry, you had not mentioned keeping a journal in your story. Had I known that I would not have questioned how you can remember the story with such clarity.
I don't recall a lot from my chilhood before 12 or 14 because I blocked quite a bit out.
I do have some happy memories from my childhood. But most were because of my grandparents and some kind neighbors that took me places or had me just hang out at their house.
Wgsmms (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
and SDS, while it may seem made up that the building was on S 13 Street, it is still indeed standing there. I can give you an address if you are futher interested.
Wgsmms (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
Thank you for the comments. My father is was from Wisconsin but my mother was from Georgia. The "curse" was told to my mother by the lady living downstairs from us. I guess I always referred to building with 2 or less families as a flat as this is how my mother referred to it. I remember this so vividly as I did keep a diary and have an extremely incredible memory (probably due to memorization of the Baltimore Catechism enforced on my generation by nuns). I do remember this so well as my siblings and I never had any problems at night and all enjoyed sleeping in our own rooms prior to living in this house. While my brother was young and night terrors may or may not have been common, my sister and I are closer in age and were way beyond being afraid of the dark. This place had an "odd" feel. I have not had any experiences like this since we moved, however, my intuition is very strong.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
Hello Wgsmms, I find it hard to believe this narrative. Even though superstition is related to 13, I do not think, all the houses in the 13th Street or the 13th house or 13th flat would bring bad luck or would be haunted. So, I feel South 13th Street name is mentioned probably to bring to the reader's mind about the superstition. With regard to the cursing of the house by the previous owner, I wish to state respectfully that cursing a house is not so easy. Any body cannot curse any person or house just like that. When I say this, I am fully aware of the rituals that they conduct in our country, India, when they want to curse a house. Just because the owner cursed the house, it does not mean the curse would hang over the flat. Like Rook, I would also like to know as to how you or your parents came to know about the curse. If and if, I say that there has been sounds in the night, hearing of footsteps or whatever, I do not think that has got anything to do with the curse.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
I should add that flat is used mostly to differentiate between types of apartments as I noted below. A flat ia still an apartment and would be called an apartment by tenants in casual conversation.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-06)
Argette,

Many thanks for that, it helps very much as I didn't know it was in common use here in the states.

My other questions still applies... How did they find out about the curse?

Respectfully,

Rook
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
I have lived in Wisconsin all my life, and have heard the word flat used many, many times in place of apartment. In Wisconsin, a flat is generally used to refer to an an apartment above a business rather than one in an apartment building.

It may also refer to a two-family house, which has an apartment on the first floor and one on the second floor.

My theory is that the word tends to be used in larger cities, and by people who have lived in larger cities.

In no way should readers assume that the use of the word flat is a sign this story is untrue.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
Interesting story. I particularly like the curse on the house on "South 13" Street. Sounds like it may have been doomed to begin with, if anyone is superstitious of the infamous number 13. 😁 Anyway, I also was curious about the use of the word flat to describe an apartment. I never hear anyone in the states use that unless they are from somewhere else. But I do think that no matter how older the poster is, things such as this are remembered very easily and with clarity. Now I don't consider myself a senior adult but I ain't no spring chick either however; all of my encounters I remember very clearly although it had been many many years ago for the initial ones.

Lastly if this flat was truely cursed, this wasn't such a bad curse just with the hearing of the talking and walking at night. I doubt it was cursed but certainly was haunted.

Have you experienced anything else since that?
Thanks, zeta.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
Wgsmms
I have the same curiosity as Rook.
My bigger curiosity is next to your "name" it says you are a senior adult. How do you remember this with such clarity? My children don't remember much about the house we moved out of 14 years ago when my oldest was a few weeks away from her 13th birthday even though we had happenings in that house. Granted nothing too terrifying for them. Except my youngest would have night terrors and the next day he would tell me he heard or saw something as he woke up.
Regards
Red
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
Wgsmms,

I enjoyed your 'tale' but want to ask a question or two concerning it...

You were 12 and living in Wisconsin when this took place?

Where are you/your parents originally from?

And Finally...

How did you/your parents find out about 'the curse'?

I ask mostly because of your use of the word 'FLAT'...very common overseas and not very common in the United States.

Just Curious.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: