You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Child Light

Real Ghost Stories

Child Light

 

The family farm is situated in the lower south east region of South Australia, a large homestead on 2,000 acres (normal). The main homestead is just over 100 years old. The ruins of the old Joyce church is on the far NW boundary of our property and can be seen in the far distance from the tennis court. The home has high ceilings, 6 bedrooms, all with a fireplace and a long hall down the centre.

When I was a child we slept in what we called "the girls room," a large room with 3 single beds on the wall facing the fireplace. Later this room was made into a guest room with a queen size bed. The window overlooks a wide veranda and the tennis court. Being the country, "dark" was really dark, "dead dark." You cannot see your hand in front of your face. Lighting was on the old generator for the property and out buildings. We were one of the last areas to have mains power. So looking over to the shearers quarters the lights looked yellow and the generator shed was situated in a paddock. There were often power "outs."

As a child I was always nervous of the corner in the girls room. High between the fireplace and the window, I would often see what I thought to be lights out across by the ruin of the Joyce Church. When I mentioned this to my parents, they would say it was lightning or the men folk out shooting at night.

Until one night I turned over in bed to see a bright white light up in the corner of the room. Inside with me. It turned suddenly cold, so cold in fact that the window frosted up on the inside. I could see it under the lace curtain. It was Autumm and we had not used the fires for the season. The light filled the room of great sadness and yet, in a unexplainable way, calm. I was in the middle bed and stayed still with my eyes fixed on the position. The light moved quickly toward the wall above my bed and then across me to my right through the window towards Joyce Church. The light was so white I knew it was not from the generator.

I never told my parents and having brothers that delighted in teasing me would only give them cause. Over the years I made it my task not to be alone in the room again in the dark.

Last year I was home after having buried both parents, taking a look at the old homestead with cousins. We went into the girls room with family friends who were staying in that room. I sat on the end of the now big bed admired the new decor and then with ease, we started talking. Yes they, along with other members of our family over the years, had seen what they called the child thought to be the spirit of a little girl from the next property back in the mid 1800's. She had been killed in a milking machine accident and her spirit came into the nearest home for safety. They said there were reports of the little girl standing on the foot end of the big bed and hearing quiet crying. It is also said "little girl laughter" could be heard from the room when passing in the afternoon. The room turned very cold as we were talking. It was mid-summer, about 2300hrs and after a heat wave. My cousin even gave the little girl's name (not to mention for her privacy) and yes, it does fit in with death records from the Joyce Parish Church at the time.

We feel this child is at peace, perhaps witnessing happy times as our family grew up. Our family went through dark times post WW11, particularly in the house at night. It was even suggested "the child" might still be there so many years after her tragic death in order to watch over our children. We leave the girls room door open into the top hall so she knows the family is home for her not to be frightened. We do not often speak of her but we feel very comfortable with her in our old family home.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Vonboeckmann, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
Vonboeckmann,

I appreciate the reply! I'm glad to hear that you and your family are comfortable with her presence especially knowing the tragedy she underwent.

Thank you for the personal note - it certainly rings true to me and is very much valued!😁
Vonboeckmann (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-02)
I wish to thank every one for reading my story. Your kind and supportive comments are greatly appreciated.

GEETHA50~ yes I did chat with my aunt at one stage. She used to live in the home. She has now passed. I remember I must have been about 16 and we were in the kitchen preparing the evening meal. Her response was casual and something like "yes that is our girl".I know we were intrupted and did not get back to the conversation. I left the family home at 18 for a career and was married at 20. Guess we just accepted the situation and lived with it. Hope this answers your question.

JOYBELLS~Yes others did see the lights on different occassions. This came out in the discussion with the cousins. We are not frightened ~ simply aware.
On a personal note, I feel you are on a journey, there is light at the end and you are precious. Take care young one.

REDWOLF~life changes, things are very different when both the parents have passed. We are the older generation now. They are there with you. You are part of them. I feel as I become older the softness of my mother and the strength of my father. Wishing you well for the future.
Kind Regards Vonboeckmann ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
Like the others, I'm sorry for your loss. I have a question for you. You mentioned that after you initially told your parents about the light you didn't mention it because they made excuses for it and that your brothers would make fun of you. I understand that at a young age you didn't want to do that but what about after you grew up? Did you ever talk to your parents about it?
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
My condolences on your parents passing. My parents died a few years apart dad in '05 mom in '08. It sounds like you had a happy family. No matter what they will always be alive in your heart and memories.
I liked your story and I like how your family welcomes this little girl.
Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Red
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
Interesting accounts Vonboeckmann, firstly sorry to hear of the passing of your parents, being from Australia myself I understand the bush and country life that you have talked about although I live in the City (Perth).
These lights you witnessed seem as though they were paranormal in nature and as you mentioned about the little girl who passed not far from where you lived and the accounts from the others of actually seeing her it seems to me that she is quite content being around you all and the home, no doubt finding comfort from it. 😊 Thanks for sharing.

Dan
JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
Wow, great read! That house sounds gorgeous by the way, I'd love to live in a big farm house in the middle of the country one day, God willing!

Very awesome experience, expecially since you weren't the only one to encounter her spirit. Did anyone else ever see the same light you did maybe on a different occassion? Just curious 😁
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
What a great story! How nice that others had seen things you had seen too!

Very sorry about your parents-sounds like you have some wonderful memories at your house with them.

Thank you for sharing!
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
First off I'm sorry about losing your parents... I have to admit this was one of the Best stories I have read! I hope you don't mind if I add it to my favorites...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: