You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Crashing Sounds In My House

Real Ghost Stories

Crashing Sounds In My House

 

I'd like to begin by saying that as a sufferer of bpd, I sometimes have infrequent, mild episodes of psychosis- where I will see, or occasionally hear things that aren't there. Normally I would discredit any 'paranormal experiences' as a symptom of my bpd, however this experience is more difficult to explain.

I often see 'shadow people' in my house, which I've been told is just a symptom of my illness, and so I've tried to ignore them as best I can. (However, it's always struck me as odd that I've only ever seen them in, and around my house, but I've always put that down to coincidence) One night however, as I was watching tv, I began to feel a little uneasy. I wasn't sure why, but I just didn't feel quite right. This feeling continued for a couple of minutes- until my dogs began to growl at the lounge door (it was closed). They then began to bark furiously (which I have never seen them do without good reason- in fact, they very rarely bark anyway). I was starting to get worried, thinking there could be an intruder in the house, (especially as my family were visiting my grandparents and I was home alone with the dogs) when I suddenly heard a loud crashing sound come from the kitchen across the hall, I couldn't see what was going on because the lounge door was closed.

The dogs continued to bark and growl, working themselves up into a frenzy like I've never seen before. I began to hear more loud crashing sounds come from the kitchen, the only way I can describe them is as though there was someone purposefully throwing handfuls of cutlery on the floor, over and over again. This went on for a good five minutes, all the while the dogs were going crazy, and I was glued to my chair, too petrified to move. Suddenly it stopped, and the dogs stopped barking and began to whimper softly, while watching the door. As they did, the lounge door flew open, as though someone had very forcefully ran into it. It was pushed so hard, the handle hit the wall, and the door bounced back to an almost closed position. As soon as this happened, I shot off to my bedroom through the door, not really thinking about what I was doing- I ran to my room and hid under the blankets. The dogs didn't follow me, but stopped barking very shortly after, and the house was quiet.

The next morning, I went into the kitchen, half expecting to find cutlery all over the floor or something of the sort, but it was just as I'd left it, and the dogs seemed totally fine. I didn't mention it to my family when they came back because I was trying to convince myself there was nothing to it. However, over the next few days there were more sounds in the house than usual, tapping sounds, banging, and the occasional crash, with no apparent cause, as well as my dogs being more on edge, occasionally growling. My brother (who is only 14) noticed the sounds, (bearing in mind I hadn't mentioned anything to anyone) and came to ask me what I thought they were, I told him it was just the boiler, or the house settling- I didn't want him to be scared. However, he also told me that the night before, he'd heard 'sounds like someone crashing around in the kitchen', but he didn't want to go and see what the sound was because it 'felt wrong'.

At around this time, I'd been experiencing terrifying and vivid nightmares, and sleep paralysis, which I think is pretty common, so I'm not going to say there's anything paranormal where that's concerned. However, shortly after all the kitchen fiasco, I had one of the worst sleep paralysis episodes ever. I normally see the shadow people when I'm experiencing sleep paralysis, and they fly in and out of view, appearing and disappearing within seconds as I try to move my fingers to start waking up my body. However, this time I clearly saw some kind of creature crouched on my ceiling, it didn't move at all, but it scared me. I can't remember exactly what it looked like, but it was about the size of a child, it had dark skin, and an unnervingly wide smile.

Crashing Sounds In My House

As I couldn't move, I somehow forced myself to fall back to sleep. When I woke up, I thought nothing of what happened the night before, only that I'd had a pretty nasty sleep paralysis episode. The thing that scared me however, was that I awoke with multiple scratches down the left side of my body. Each line had another two lines adjacent to it, as though something with three fingers had repeatedly scratched me. I know it wasn't me, because my nails are very short. My 8 year old sister was also having nightmares around this time, which is unusual for her. (though I don't know what they were about, as she was unable to remember- but I do know she spent a few nights sleeping in my parents' room).

After this final experience, I left to return to university. When I returned home about one month later, everything was fine, and nothing has happened since. If you're interested to know, the house itself is only around 30/40 years old, and as far as I'm aware, no tragedy has befallen any of the owners. However, the house is very close to an old cemetery, (about a 30 second walk away!) and the house is situated on a road where there have been a number of archeological digs, and many artefacts from the Roman Era have been uncovered, so maybe that has something to do with it?!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BethAG, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Dreyk (9 stories) (27 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-20)
Thank you for your story. The photo was very interesting as well. I suffered from exactly the same "scratches" which always seemed to appear overnight after I had slept. I searched the internet extensively for an answer and learned that they're actually extremely common. They have explanations ranging from ghosts, to demons, to aliens... I finally tracked my particular cause down to something FAR less sinister... My showering routine. The building I lived in was rather old, and particulates of sand were coming through the pipes while I showered. They would get embedded in my washcloth and I'd actually be inadvertently scratching myself while I washed, the marks matching finger positions as of course the fingers were pushing the sand against my skin. In the morning, after waking up the scratches had time to set overnight while the skin dried out and VOILA... Mystery scratches... They have in-line filters for shower heads you might want to look into...
Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-18)
Don't worry BethAG, even though I haven't dealt with strange noises and physical touches, I do know a lot that have. You're not alone in this. The fact that your brother heard and felt the same way towards the kitchen shows that it was real and that should be enough for your parents to believe if you ever decide to tell them about it.

From what I understand, spirits feed off our energy to keep them strong or to even make them stronger. It's possible that it was doing it while you were alone to scare you more so you give off certain energies. I'm not 100% sure but it's possible!

I hope everything has been better!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-01-16)
BethAG,

Thanks for submitting this.

I want to start off with a Thank You. Thank you for the heads up concerning your medical/mental condition. It lends a great deal of credence to your experiences as you related them.

Spirits/Entities/Ghosts (in my opinion) are energy based intelligences and certain types/levels of energy help to sustain them. Because of this they seek an environment, or actively work to create an environment that will support them. It's possible a spirit 'felt' that because of your condition you were an easy target... But your response was not what it hoped. Nor was your younger brothers... It tried one last time (when it scratched you) to elicit a certain type of response fro you and you somehow managed to 'roll over' and go back to sleep... This of course was NOT the 'fear filled/flee...fight for your life, panic' REACTION the spirit was aiming for so it moved on to another household.

Could living near the graveyard play a factor in this...maybe, but unlikely... I find cemeteries to be very peaceful places where the spirits of the deceased DO NOT tend to hang out, unless their physical body was buried with a item they were attached to or someone 'playing' at divination is 'calling them' back to.

Again, thank you for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook

PS: Thanks Martin 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-01-15)
Thanks, Martin, for letting us know. Hopefully everyone will see this before throwing stones 😉
Martin (602 posts) mod
+3
7 years ago (2017-01-15)
Just so everyone knows, I did a big cleanup of old emails and stories held up for various reasons and forgotten, some stories, like this one, were actually submitted a few years ago, but the date was reset in order for the story to be displayed in the recent list. Some authors have been quite surprised to receive my notifications. It was a huge job but I'm all caught up now (on this site).

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: