You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghostly Car Sound

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Car Sound

 

This took place back in 2008. I was in Venture Scouting (ages 14-18), the time of season was winter cold and stormy but this night it was clear. Five of us chooe to stay at the other den in middle of a small town farming area.

The den is halfway up a farmer's paddock. There 2 gates to open to reach the den. Nearest house is 300 meters, the other was around 900 meters. The toilets were in next paddock over, roughly a 400 meter walk.

We brought a TV to play xbox and each of us had a couch to sleep on despite them being dusty and all. It was dark, only the stars lighting up the area and light pollution from town in distance.

No curtains in the den as not many people know of its location. After playing we decided to call it a night. We closed door and stacked three 4wd tires to hold it closed.

During the night we heard a car driving very slowly outside. We looked out the window to direction expecting a car coming up but there was no car at all. Things were starting to feel freaky.

We went back to laying down. A few minutes later the door blew wide open even with the weight of three tires against it. We closed it again. Few more minutes passed and you can hear scratching sounds on the outside of the windows but nothing there to be seen and no trees or animals on site.

After an hour we heard car sound again, this time driving away from us as it was leaving the property. This time the sound is like gravel but there no gravel at all since it's grass driveway only. We were all freaked. Still freaks me out to this day.

Other hauntings by sheld999

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sheld999, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-28)
Augusta basically only 5 of us there so not really a camp lol more like a night out. Ummm it was in a small villiage like town. Mostly farm paddocks but is also few km away from very 1st scout camp in nz.

Cant say much about the land except a farmer leased it to scouts nz. So could been a old farmer but the building not that old well old to me but not to the area. Prob 70s 80s (1970 1980)
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-27)
That would have scared me out of my wits! Nothing like being isolated and feeling threatened especially by something you can't figure out - that likely would have been my last stay in that place! The door slamming open would've done it for me!

Aside from it having been a scout camp, do you know anything about the history of the land? Since one of the features of your experience was car tires, you likely wouldn't have to look that far back in time. Maybe a hunting accident?
sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-26)
Lady-glow nope as others didn't know we there plus you can look down by the window. Only us had a key. I forgot to mention no scout group uses the den anymore they became extinct and we took over because cheap power bill

Miracles. The nearest gravel road/path is about 2km away. No bats in the area and bugs arent as big here but there was none around since it winter.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-25)
sheld - like lady-glow said, sounds carry. Especially at night when all is quiet when you can hear a lot more than you would during the day time. Just because the driveway up to the den where you and your friends were staying was grassy, doesn't eliminate the possibility of gravel roads or driveways somewhere else.

Because I know nothing about New Zealand, I Googled and found there are kiwi birds and bats. I won't even suggest or pretend that I have seen them before Googling, but I do think it's possible that a bat could have been around the place y'all were staying. Plus bugs. At night, a bug hitting a glass window would be sure to create a loud, noticeable sound.

The only thing I can't find a normal explanation for is the tires 😕
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-24)
sheld - would it be possible that some of the other scouts played a prank on you?

It was a dark and isolated place, keep in mind the way sound travels, perhaps what you guys thought to be the location where the car should be coming was only the echo from a different direction.

Could a person be crouching under the window and scratching the glass with a wire or some other object hard to see in the dark?
There's no mention if anyone went out to see what was going on.

Thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: