You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Scariest Foot Pursuit Ever

Real Ghost Stories

Scariest Foot Pursuit Ever

 

September 12, 1989 I was on routine patrol in Blackford County, Indiana. I was on Lake Blue Water Road outside the city of Montpelier when I pulled into the parking lot of the Erie (real name) stone quarry. I observed someone standing near the building, I ordered the person to stop and not move. The person began to run north into the quarry. I began to chase the person and call for back up on my radio. After about an eighth of a mile the person ran up a hill and down the other side. At the top of the hill was a set of railroad tracks that ran along side the quarry.

As I stood on the tracks at the top of the hill, I noticed the thickets at the bottom of the hill on the other side were too thick for anybody to run through. I scanned the area for the suspect and couldn't find him so I began to walk back to my squad car.

When I got back to my squad car I met up with a deputy from the Blackford County Sheriff's Department. The deputy asked me not to mention his name in this story. I told the deputy what I had seen. White male, 5'10"-6'0" wearing a black leather jacket, blue jeans and white tennis shoes with blonde hair. He just looked at me and said "Uh huh." I asked what he meant. He said, "Well, let's put it this way. You are not the only officer to chase that guy." I said, "Really?" He said, "Yes, that is the clothing description of the guy that was killed here after a bank robbery and pursuit that ended here in 50's."

The deputy went on to explain that the suspect was shot and killed by the police very close to where the office building of the quarry now stands. Needless to say, this report did not make it into my daily log, lol.

This is just one of many strange events I experienced while working night shift as a police officer. I continue to work nights and after 25 years on the job, this incident still sends chills up my spine.

Other hauntings by daveslod

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, daveslod, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

daveslod (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-14)
All, I just wanted to touch base and try to respond to each of you. Thank you again for reading my story, I hope everyone who reads this account enjoys it.
As for if tbis is still going on, I don't know. I left that department nearly 23 years ago. I went back into the Army and spent some time over seas in Iraq. While stationed back here at Ft. Riley, KS I did have another experience while living with my ex-wife and children off post. I will write about that story soon. Honesty, that story is a little more disturbing than my first story, lol.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-11)
Hi daveslod, this goes to my favourites. I really enjoyed the story as well as the thread. I just want to ask you one thing. Does it happen even now because the deputy said that you were not the only person to see the robber, who was shot. Could it be residual. Means that you and others see him on a particular time, particular day of the week or month. In any event, if it was residual or a clear paranormal sighting, a great experience. Hope to read more from your end.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-10)
I always enjoy ghost stories told by police officers and members of the military. Trained to stay vigilant to their environment, these men and women tell a good tale by relating clear, objective details and rational, logically related events. This lends credibility and makes the story easy to follow. And, having to deal more directly with violence and death than the rest of us, they may be more likely to encounter a troubled spirit in the course of their work. Thanks for sharing your tales, daveslod - both the one above and the mini-stories in the comments.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-09)
daveslod
This sounds like an intelligent haunting that many P.O.s experience.
I don't think there is a single Police Department in the U.S. That doesn't have a freaky story like this.
Yours was very interesting. It's going into my favorites, please write more. Ask your buddies who have had stories to write them for this site.
I worked in a hospital for just under 4 years and there was only 1 story that I can tell which was sad and sweet at the same time. A woman had gall bladder surgery which is relatively safe surgery but something went horribly wrong. In lieu of a settlement the hospital agreed to take care of her for the rest of her natural life. The husband didn't want her to go to a nursing home, and for years she stayed in the hospital, with her husband sitting by her side everyday. When the hospital was doing major renovations/rebuilding the woman had to be put of the husbands choice at the hospitals cost. The woman died shortly after being moved and her husband died within a few months after. I am sure they are happier in their afterlives than the last few years of their lives.
kunwarkh (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-09)
The officer who is usually on night patrol on our street is a friend of mine. I used to take strolls at night when I could not sleep, and I liked walking when I smoked. He often gave me a ride back home on his bike when I wandered blocks away.

One night he was riding really fast and almost rode past me without stopping. He finally stopped and yelled at me to hop on quickly. He dropped me home and drove away without saying a word.

The next day he came by in the morning and told me that he saw a woman jump off the third floor of a building but then he went there there was no one, no body nothing and until he saw me he felt as if something was following him.

Ofcourse at that time I did not believe in spirits so I told him it was his imagination and laughed it off.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-09)
I absolutely LOVE this comment thread! Loved the original story too, of course. (I added it to my favorites.) I've often thought that I'd like to gather ghost stories from emergency personnel for a book. I'd call it "Last Responders". I'm a novelist, though, and I'm pretty sure if I suggested it my agent would tell me I don't have a platform for nonfictiction. 😕

Love all your stories, though! Please! Keep them coming!
daveslod (2 stories) (8 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-09)
When I was in the academy one our instructors told a story of a lady that was visiting family back here in Indiana. She had gotten a flat and a sheriffs deputy had pulled up behind her and changed the flat tire for her. When she got back home to Arizona, she wrote the sheriff of the county a letter thanking the deputy. The sheriff called the lady and asked if she was trying to play some sort of joke. She replied "No, why would you ask?" The sheriff replied "That deputy was killed on that stretch of road almost five years ago. He was shot and killed in a shootout with a suspect."
daveslod (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-09)
H2olily,

The time of day was early morning around 0030-0100 hrs. There was some lighting around the quarry and the moon was full this night. Other wise, I am not sure I would have been able to continue the pursuit the suspect as long as I did.
daveslod (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-08)
Pjod,

Yes, there is a UFO story that I can share. One night in the city of Marion in Grant county Indiana my partner and I observed a large object in the sky over the southern part of the city. We began to pursue the object as best we could. After giving our location several other squad cars entered the pursuit. Dispatch called Grissom Air Base near Kokomo, IN and asked if they had anything on radar. Grissom replied "Affirmative, but we don't know who it is or what it is either!" The object disappeared a few minutes later. I still have no idea what it was, it would be nice to find out someday.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-10-08)
I worked as a police officer for a couple years before taking a job in the private sector due to various family reasons (i.e. A wife who couldn't handle me doing the job... The things we give up for love...).

Our department had a very similar story that veteran officers would often share. There was this abandoned garage that had 3 car stalls and an office on one side. The only doors were the man door to the office and the three garage doors. There were stairs to a 2nd story with offices above the garage. The building was built into the side of a hill, no windows on the back or sides, only front.

The department would often get calls from drivers passing by that there was a man standing in one of the 2nd floor windows holding a shot gun. According to the story, the first time this happened, officers responded to the call and actually had a stand off with this guy who was unresponsive... Just up there holding a shot gun looking out the window. After a few minutes, he went back into the room out of site. They entered the building and found nothing. They had a perimeter around the building and there was zero chance of the guy getting out without someone seeing. There had been a suicide at one point in the buildings history - guy took his head off with a shotgun. Crazy stuff!

Love your story.
rath9375 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-08)
First and foremost I want to thank you for the job you do or did as a Police Officer. I would also like to thank you for sharing your story. I love hearing these accounts from Police, Firemen, EMTs and Nurses.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-08)
Hey Dave,
Since it is allowed to talk about other's experience in the comments section, perhaps you might have an account of the unidentified flying object kind in the many years you served on the force. I have heard many tales by other officers here in the US as well as the UK. I know the subject matter doesn't involve a haunting, but it's still considered paranormal. 😁
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-08)
Great story! A ghost who waits for cops to show up in order to make his appearance and lead them on a wild-goose chase. May I ask what time of day did the incident occur? Sounds like you were able to see for quite a distance... Broad daylight? Thanks for sharing your experience.
poultrgyst (9 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-08)
Great experience, I can't wait to hear more! Thanks for sharing.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-10-07)
daveslod: Unfortunately we can only accept personal experiences, although we will seriously consider those from close family members. You can, however, mention them in the comment section! 😉
daveslod (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-07)
All, thank you for your comments, I have several other stories that I would love to share and I will very soon. I also have other stories that have been relayed to me, is it permissible for me to share those stories?
Vonboeckmann (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-07)
Hi really appreciate a good read thanks.Don't go AWOL on us... Awaiting more of same. Regards J.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-06)
Hi Daveslod, I noticed the guy waited until he knew he had your atention, and then he lead you on a mery chase up a hill. I wonder if he just thought it was funny to make cops run! Seriously, there have been posts of ghosts like this. I can't wait to see your next posts also.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-06)
kunwarkh: this phenomena is called residual haunting, and the apparitions are not spirits but "recordings" of an event that plays itself over and over.

Daveslod: that's a very interesting and creepy story; I imagined you chasing after James Dean! 😆
Looking forwards to read more of your experiences and thanks for sharing.
kunwarkh (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-06)
I have a question. It appears that many ghosts do no realize that they are dead even after so much time. Do they keep reliving their last moments?
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-05)
Yup, straight to my faves, too. Hope to hear more from you, daveslod.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-05)
Oh wow, this was quite an experience lol. Went straight into favorites. 😊
I love that ghost has been witnessed by many people. That always tends to add to an experience's credibility as well as creepabilty. I hope you share the other strange events you mentioned, would love to read more.
savsavvy1023 (1 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-05)
I am really curious to find out more information on this man. How exactly did he die? It sounds to me like he didn't know he was dead. When he saw you he thought he was back in the 50's living life still. Thank you for sharing and I would love to hear anymore stories you have about paranormal experiences.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: