You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost Smoke

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Smoke

 

It was in the 1970s, I was young, with two sons. We were living in a rented house close to an air force base. The house was small. It was three bedrooms, we only used two. The kitchen was tiny, as the house was shaped like a box - two bedrooms on one side, one bedroom and bathroom on the other side, small living room and kitchen. The kitchen and bathroom was where I felt I was being watched. When I was at the kitchen sink I felt as if someone was standing behind me.

My older son was 2 almost 3, and my other son was 6 months. My husband was working two jobs and was gone a great deal of the time. I would wait until the boys were asleep before I would shower and always felt I was being watched. I thought it was because I left the door open in case the boys woke up. I would peek out continually as I felt I wasn't alone. I never noticed anything else as I was always busy with cleaning cooking and taking care of the babies.

One day it was in November or December, it was cold so the front door was closed. I don't think the heater was on yet as it's hot during the day and only gets cold at night. I noticed smoke in the hallway close to the ceiling. I went into panic mode, ran to open the front door, was touching the walls for heat and keeping an eye on the smoke. I ran around the house trying to find the source. I ran to the kitchen and grabbed two dish towels waving them frantically to dissipate the smoke, all the time wondering if I should call the fire department.

I ran around waving and waving the dish towels up and down the small hallway, opened windows, did all I could to get rid of the smoke. It did dissipate and I told my husband what had happened. He examined the wall unit and it never happened again.

We moved to a new house in March of that year. I later became interested in the supernatural and realized what it was. Boy did I laugh. I grew up in a house that was very scary so I looked for answers. I wondered what that ghost thought as I waved those kitchen towels.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kyotesknwlkr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-14)
Hmm, Smoke Maybe a Resident I think that use to be fire back in the old days but I just thinking. Funny What you think what the ghost think what you wave the dish towel maybe you crazy or have problem lol
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-14)
I enjoyed your story. I don't know if what you saw was supernatural but it sounds interesting. Obviously your home wasn't on fire so there really was no explanation for the smoke like mist. I have seen something similar to that in my Dad's house. No smell of smoke. Just a white smoky mist that hangs around the living room door.
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-14)
She said she touched the walls and was looking for the source of the fire--that the smoke did dissipate. Her house must've not been on fire, so it wouldn't have done any good to call the fire department. Since the lady and her kids are OK, it is kind of a funny story. I chuckled when I read the last sentence.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
Welcome to YGS, kyotesknwlkr. Please understand, that when we ask questions it's to better understand and not discount what you say. Having said that, I have to echo elf on some questions: Did you smell smoke or only see it? How did you come to your conclusion?
We do not always see the source of a fire (electrical inside the walls, comes to mind). I do wonder why you didn't get your kids out and call the fire department.
Silene02 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
Hi!, your story reminded me about an incident I had in an old church in Enköping, Sweden. My familj and I were visiting this church that dates from the Middleages. I was wandering around by myself and when I was looking up to the beautiful ceiling of the church, I saw smoke, the first I thought was: There are some disrespectful people, smoking inside the church, my god! (And suddenly I realized that that was impossible, I looked around and there was nobody near and of course, nobody smokes inside a church when I realized this, the smoke was gone. When I was trying to understand what was that smoke I saw, my mother beckoned at me and said that the guide just had told her that there were haunting at that part of the church were we were standing.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
Hi and welcome to ygs!

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you came to the conclusion that the smoke was supernatural? What was the wall unit that your husband examined? Did the smoke smell like smoke? Why *didn't* you get your kids out of the house and call the fire department if you thought the house was on fire?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: