You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Garage Door And Smoke Alarms

Real Ghost Stories

Garage Door And Smoke Alarms

 

My mother died on April 28, 2012.

About a week after her death, I believe it was on May 7, we heard a noise and I looked out the window. It was dark outside, and I saw light coming out from the garage downstairs. So, I knew the garage door was opening. My husband and I went downstairs and observed that the garage door was opening and closing on its own. It would sometimes open or close only halfway. Very odd. I more or less dismissed this as some electrical malfunction. My husband felt like it was my mother sending a message. It never happened again.

My sister told me she astroplaned the night our mother died. I didn't take it seriously, and in fact forgot all about it. My husband told me I mentioned it to him, so definitely she told me this at some point. It's a different subject, but all she says she remembers is falling out of the ceiling into her bed sometime in the morning.

Fast forward to October 2019.

On October 18, my sister called and we talked about our mother. The next day, around the same time, about 7pm, both smoke alarms went off simultaneously, and there was no smoke. I pushed the button underneath the one in the foyer several times to quieten it, but it had no effect. Both smoke alarms stopped about a minute after they started. Very soon afterwards, my husband said it was my mother, and that it was because we were talking about her the day before. I recalled the garage door situation, and felt it was plausible.

My mother's birthday is October 22.

My sister lives in rural Indiana. Yesterday, October 24, she called. We talked about my husband's illness. Then she told me her best friend committed suicide. To change the subject, I told her about the smoke alarms.

A few seconds went by and my sister told me she had goosebumps from what I just told her. She said that she was cooking a pizza on our mother's birthday. There was no smoke in the house, and two of her smoke alarms went off. In the same fashion, they both stopped at the same time.

I believe my mother is trying to communicate.

Other hauntings by jsbsf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jsbsf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-11)
On the night your mother died your sister experienced what they refer to as terminal lucidity it is actually quite common jsbsf, I know of one account where several people near the death bed of a child were pulled into a spiritual border plane where basically they were saying goodbye to the child and his mother before returning back to the room.

Perhaps you should ask your sister to give you a full account of what she remembered? If you already know? It would be a nice add on to this story.

Regards Daz
jsbsf (2 stories) (2 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-11-08)
She died from colon cancer. Coincidentally my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer two months prior to the smoke alarm incident.

We were both very overwhelmed with this news, and I really wasn't wanting to relive this experience of losing someone this way.

Somehow, we felt like she was telling us everything was going to be okay. We felt like she knew something we didn't. Of course I have a history of just wanting so badly to believe things when I've been desperate enough.

It's a year later and I can tell you, although he has to be monitored for at least 5 years, he has no evidence of cancer.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-15)
I remember reading other stories on here about smoke alarms and family members trying to communicate. But is she trying to tell you something? Did she die at peace or with unresolved issues?

Incidentally, my birthday is October 22. Great day. 😘
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-15)
At the very least, your story presents a very strong coincidence. We all prefer to believe, however, that our loved ones - in this case, your mother - are trying to communicate with us
MrsRamsay (guest)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-14)
Hi there! I believe you are right, and I think somehow our loved ones can manipulate these kinds of things. I've experienced the bell on the fridge (that's only supposed to go off when the fridge is opened too long, but mine seemed to go off every night as I got into bed in my new home, for about a week). No explanation. Lights going on and off, specifically a lamp I brought home that Mom left to me at her death... And lights coming on at her home as I was cleaning out after her death. Most especially, things happened on my daughters' wedding days, things that made me KNOW she was with us. Hmm. I talk to my mom all the time. My late husband also. It's not scary for me, how about you? There is something to the fact that you all just INTUIT what/who it is, right? I think you should go with that intuition.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: