You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Unholy Church

Real Ghost Stories

Unholy Church

 

This account takes place a few years back when I was living with my father and stepmother over the summer in Lima, Ohio. I've mentioned in a previous submission that we were homeless and part of a program that sheltered two homeless families, we'll call it the Family Circle.

In the Family Circle program, the families would spend one week in a church and the following week, the families would stay in a motel. This experience takes place during church week. The church was actually located two buildings away from the Family Circle office.

I remember the first day we arrived. It was early morning and the church was holding a breakfast down in the basement area. Many people filled the stairway and the cafeteria where the breakfast was being hosted. My father, stepmother and I all entered and made sure we were accounted for by being assigned numbers in which they'd announce when it was our turn to receive our food.

It was my brother's birthday and we were all looking forward to visiting him later on in the afternoon. During some point, the Pastor (whom was a woman) made her entrance and talked to everyone. She ended up coming over to our table to chat and it was a this point that my father mentioned something to her about us leaving town to attend my brother's birthday party. To our surprise, she tried to tell us we couldn't go. I was outraged by this.

I stood quickly and tossed my chair back, slamming my fists down on the table. "You nor anyone else will tell me that I can't see my own brother on his birthday!" I shouted. She stared at me, eyes wide in shock. I can't quite remember what all she said, but at some point she began to say "out of love," and that's when I cut her off. "Love? You don't [bleepin'] know me. Don't you dare try to say you love me." That was that. We left after that and occupied ourselves somehow (I can't remember at this point) until it was time to meet the staff of the church and be shown our rooms.

Later that afternoon, we returned to the church and entered the front doors. I was immediately aware that we were not alone. A large man sat behind a small office desk and greeted us with a big, friendly smile. He stood and shook our hands, introducing himself as Ted (not his real name). We chatted with Ted for a little while and at some point my father mentioned something to him about going to my brother's birthday party. He said, "As long as you're back before dinner, it shouldn't be a problem." Ted seemed like a very nice guy and was very kind to us our entire stay.

He took us upstairs in the elevator to the second floor, where he showed us our rooms, the dining room, the bathrooms and the kitchen. Then he pointed to a wide flight of stairs located next to the elevator doors. "That's the very top floor. We call it the playroom." He led us up the stairs and showed us.

The playroom was huge and the floor was one big gym mat. There were all sorts of toys scattered around the room and basketball hoops. After he showed us around, we all went back down to the second floor and set up our room. While my father and stepmother were removing our air mattresses from their bins, I walked out onto the balcony (where our rooms were located) and peered over the edge to see what was below. It was the room where the actual service went down. I could see all the benches and the altar.

As I was looking down, I noticed movement below me. Something white was running back and forth below me and I could just barely see it. I turned around and saw two flights of stairs behind me: a flight leading up and a flight leading down. Curiously, I headed downstairs and found myself below the balcony, right where I saw the white figure. At the end of the balcony, where the wall was, was a large set of double doors. As soon as I saw it, I felt drawn to them and found myself slowly inching toward them.

A few feet away from the doors, I was hit by a rather foul odor. It smelled like something had died. Oddly, this made me feel nervous, so I headed back upstairs and informed my father on what had just happened.

It was probably our 3rd or 4th day there when the most intense experience happened. My father and I had gotten into an argument and I was NOT a happy camper. I was very upset and had gone off to the playroom to be by myself and blow off a little steam. I walked laps around the room and angrily talked to myself, cursing and brooding. I was in such a rage that I really gave no thought to the pins and needles sensation I was starting to get in my fingertips and face.

In the midst of my rage, my right hand began to do something very strange, and this was the beginning of a terrifying experience. My fingers began to curl and my hand seemed to be trying to go into a claw formation. At first I thought I was having bad muscle spasms, so I tried clenching and unclenching my fist to relax the muscle, but I found it was rather difficult to get my hand to cooperate. To be completely honest, I seriously felt like I was in the sequel of Idol Hands. My hand developed a mind of its own and was trying to do something of its own accord.

Of course, I was completely freaked out and I felt that if I let my hand claw up, something bad was going to happen. So I fought like hell to keep my hand straight. An uneasy task to my surprise. The pins and needles sensation had now come over my entire body and now it felt like there was a fire burning in my head and under my skin. I knew with absolute conviction that something was trying to take over my body.

I felt panicked and had no idea what to do. I knew I couldn't leave the room. Trust me, I wanted to. I just... Couldn't. I couldn't call out for help. I could only manage to keep walking laps around the room and was putting all of my energy into fighting whatever this was off. This battle was long and exhausting; there was a point where I almost gave up. After about five minutes in of fighting this thing with all my power, I began to grow tired and hopeless. I felt like this thing wasn't going to give up.

I stopped walking laps and sunk down into a corner, where I sorta curled up. I was still fighting to keep my hand straight, but was about to give up the fight. I began to feel it overcome me as it knew I was getting to the end of my rope. I believe I began thinking of all the things I love in life: family, friends, the simple beauty of nature and life. In that moment, I gathered all the strength I had and jumped back up to my feet. I went back to walking laps and had a new-found sense of willpower.

I fought this thing more aggressively and basically told it "back the [bleep] off, because this is MY body and you can't have it!" Finally, after what felt like an eternity, I fought this thing off. I knew it was over when the burning sensation went away, as did the pins and needles and my hand was no longer spazzing out. I bolted out of that room and never returned to the playroom after that.

The very last night we were there, my father wanted to go on a little "adventure". We grabbed some flashlights after everyone had gone to sleep and everything was dark and made our way downstairs. We found ourselves standing before the large double doors mentioned earlier in this account. There was no foul odor, so we pushed through the doors and entered a rather small room. The room smelled strongly of incense.

There was a very narrow flight of stairs to our left that led upstairs behind the altar. Then as we walked forward, there was another flight of stairs to our right that led downstairs. We decided to go downstairs.

As we reached the bottom of the stairs and began down the hallway, we passed an open window that was located directly in front of a brick wall. There was music coming through it as we passed and my father and I passed each other confused glances. We looked around for a few minutes and found ourselves in the cafeteria.

After we were done downstairs, we headed back up the stairs and was greeted with a nasty surprise. The room smelled like death! It hadn't even been ten minutes since we passed through there and it smelled like incense. Now it smelled of death, the same smell I'd smelled through the doors the first day we arrived. My father and I looked at each other with wide eyes. I slowly turned to the flight of stairs that led behind the altar.

"Whatever it is, it's coming from there." I said. "We should go up there and look. What if they're sacrificing people and stashing their bodies up there? We could serve justice and get a reward." My father shook his head. "There's no way I'm going up there. I don't care. Let's get out of here." I agreed and we pushed back through the large double doors, headed back upstairs, went to sleep and left the following morning.

I've been by that church a couple times since, but still refuse to go back inside. More stuff happened during our stay there, but this account ended up being long enough. Church is supposed to be a sacred place, where no evil can go. This church was bad, very bad. I'm still not sure just what's going on there, but I do know that something is. That place reeked of evil, and I smelled it the moment I walked through the doors.

Other hauntings by Kayla_Lynn

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kayla_Lynn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
One more comment to this- Why would you mind immediately jump to human sacrifice? That is a strange jump to make and not a logical one. Human sacrifice is not a common place thing (rare to never) and I believe someone would have noticed that everyone that goes to that church does not come back out. I think you were attempting to be dramatic and it does not work well. If you really believed they were committing murder, I believe you would have contacted the appropriate authorities.

Most likely what you were smelling was simply too much incense or two unflattering scents mixing together - not the smell of death. If you are convinced its the smell of death, most likely an animal got into a place it did not belong and died. Many, many churches burn incense. It's common practice and believed to be calming. All in all, you could have merely been smelling an old trash can that someone forgot to change.

I do not understand your angry at the Pastor in the beginning. From what I can gather, the Pastor asked you to ask and your reaction was to cuss her out- I find that to be a bit unhinged. Would "No, thank you" have not worked out better? It definitely sounds as though she was offering to extend your stay, not imprison you. I do the same when friends are planning to leave after staying for a weekend, invite them to stay longer if they feel the need.
From the sounds of it, she was attempting to be polite. If she runs this housing program, she also could have simply been warning you that leaving meant forfeiting the rooms to the next people who need help.
Taking that as some sort of threat and lashing out is not a mature choice.

If you look at evil in a karmic perspective, evil goes wherever it is allowed. You felt uncomfortable there so your body made you uncomfortable.

I also don't believe cussing the people out who are housing you out of goodwill is a wise choice. Next time, try to maturely approach the situation before accusing people of human sacrifice.

This entire story is just full of things that should have been avoided.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
I think the church was a normal church.

Your anger explains many things here.
Aomni (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-13)
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the church. The first thing you did there was cuss out a pastor and then before you felt the evil presence you were cursing, again, in a church which like you said is supposed to be a sacred place where no evil can go. Evil can go anywhere it is invited and I have come to the conclusion based off the story that you may have invited it there.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+5
11 years ago (2013-10-23)
Kayla_Lynn
I don't think that there was anything supernatural at all going on in that church.
What I read added up to a lot of teen angst. First cussing out a Pastor for any reason is the ultimate disrespect. Especially since you were in HER HOUSE. You were there because you were homeless and you lashed out at the wrong person, she was not the reason you were homeless. Then you go snooping and THINK you smell a dead body. That was bad enough but when you smell it again you want to call the police and try to seek a reward? You have a lot of nerve young lady. Then you are walking laps in the play room working yourself up into a lather. You probably had your hands clenched into a fist and when you can't unclench them you think you're being possessed. Obsessed is more like it with your wild imagination working in overdrive.
Read your story and the comments. Then take a good look at yourself in the mirror and contemplate how you came across to the adults on this site.
savsavvy1023 (1 stories) (42 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-22)
What other events happened? I am really curious to know. Try going back to the church and see how you feel now. Good luck!
gothgirl (32 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-20)
So sorry, but I'm also going to go with the "trouble teen" on this one, and besides why did you go sneaking aroud, these people gave you a roof AND food... If they were burning human bodys why did they let you guys go?...just a thaught
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+5
11 years ago (2013-10-19)
The pins and needles sensation followed by hands curling into "claws" is a phenomenon known as tetany (involuntary contraction of muscles) It can be associated with more serious issues, but I have experienced the same thing as the poster: I was having a therapy session about 25 years ago. Some marital issues were coming up that were pushing a huge nerve. I started expressing painful truths and feeling a lot of fear and anger when both hands started to curl up, with the accompanying sensation of pins and needles. The therapist had me walk around and shake out my hands. Shake, shake, shake! Then the tetany left and my hands were normal. I suddenly felt tremendous peace, a silence deeper than anything I had ever experienced.

I am questioning whether this church was really haunted or whether the poster was projecting a lot of pent up feelings of anger, powerlessness, and frustration out onto her environment. The bad smell could have been a rodent or the release of toxins from her skin as she let go of her rage.

I do feel that the church people were reaching out in kindness. I hope that they understood they were dealing with a troubled teen and I hope that Kayla Lynn's life is better now.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-10-19)
Well, there are churches, then there are 'churches'. The first being a building erected with worship in mind, the second is a converted building. We have several of the latter, where I live, and sometimes if it weren't for the sign telling you, you would never know it was a church. The one in this story sounds like one of the latter. I wonder what it was previously? It could be that any paranormal activity is connected with its former use.
As for the account itself... I don't know. Weirder things have been known to happen under the guise of calling oneself a church.
LilyOfWartune (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Ah...I get it now, thanks a lot BadJuJuu
It gave me new perspective now... I didn't read many stories regarding of churches in this site, so pardon me
#giggle
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Lily, there are stories of haunted churches, several on this site. I don't think prayer matters to ghosts, it may have an impact on certain nonhuman entities. A ghost though is the surviving awareness/emotions of a once living human. If prayer doesn't scare us away off from a person or place while alive, why would it when we're dead? ❤
Skeptic_not_Sceptic (19 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
This doesn't sound paranormal at all. Like others said, the stench could be a pipe, or it could have been something in the vents. And your attempted "possession" is likely the physical result of rage and stress. Seems to me that you were poised to fly into another rage, but you calmed down.
LilyOfWartune (19 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Interesting...
I think it has something to do with your outburst and lashing out at the Pastor. It gave you negative energy and spirits tend to attracted by it. What I must confirm first is: Can spirits or ghosts really entered a holy place where praying and such has been its prime activity?
This is my first time hearing this kind of story, so please excuse my curiosity...
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
In defense of the poster here, I'm sure she felt embarrassed after her outburst. There's no need for all of you to continue to shame her for being honest about the situation. If the pastor was truely a woman of God, she forgave the outburst as soon as it happened...I'm also thinking that was probably not the most disrespectful thing she encountered while taking in homeless families, whose children probably have all kinds of issues.

Maybe there was some kind of spiritual energy residing in the church. What about the white figure? How perplexing! I don't think that anything "evil" was dwelling there, I like the suggestion of a dead rodent maybe being the cause of the smell... But I do not think a place of worship would enact a vengence against you for being an emotional teenager as badjuju suggested. Perhaps there was a spirit trying to get your attention. Have you ever been back to the church since?
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+5
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
Sounds like you have serious anger issues which could explain the muscle spasms.

Your a teenager and you say this was a few years back so how old were you when this happened? That much anger at that age would undoubtedly manifest some negative energy, not to mention the imagination. Seriously, "sacrificing people" and "stashing bodies"?

I'm with lady-glow on the dead rodent theory. Try to get some help with that anger thing and see if that loving family, friends, nature and life feeling you got doesn't start producing some positive energy for you.
kariorit (1 stories) (23 posts)
+7
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
Seriously? These people were feeding you and giving you shelter and this is how you appreciate it? Way out of line for you to cuss out the pastor for no good reason... Way to go for you to wander around angry and snoop when you're going to be leaving looking for something wrong... Sorry to seem harsh, but I think the church is fine, you're the problem.
kunwarkh (2 stories) (55 posts)
+10
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
I don't think that lashing out at the pastor was right because you did that without knowing why she stopped you from going. I am sure there must have been a reason.

I think because of your frequent anger outbreak you attracted the negative energies onto yourself.

And you telling your father "What if they're sacrificing people and stashing their bodies up there? We could serve justice and get a reward." This makes me feel as if you just wanted something bad to be happening there so that you could get them punished.

Just my opinion
😊
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+6
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
Badjuujuu, I must have voted you up too often because the site won't let me, but if I could I would. I'm not particularly religious myself and there are things about organized religion in general and Christianity in particular that downright burn my biscuits. BUT that doesn't mean I'm going to treat them with anything less than courtesy and civility. And that would be doubly true if I was accepting their hospitality.

I'm not saying you should have foregone your brother's party, but there are better ways to handle dissent. Also, it's dangerous to embrace such negativity. You can draw bad things to yourself. It's probably no coincidence that your worst experience happened when you were angry.

This comment from Anonymoustx is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

BadJuuJuu (guest)
+14
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
I agree with lady-glow that there are many explanations, including plumbing, for the smell.
And, I probably shouldn't, but I'm going to say it...
Way to disrespect a house of worship. Cussing the pastor? Really? A woman who is putting a roof over your head no less. Treating her that way, and carrying on in that fashion in a church, its no wonder the building made you feel unwelcome. It almost seems like the building was giving right back to you what you gave to it. It's just bad form to disrespect a place of worship, regardless of the circumstances. Sorry to be blunt, I've never mastered the art of sugar coating.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+5
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
It's a shame you didn't check for the source of the smell, whatever it was I'm sure were not the bodies of sacrificed people! 😲

I'm just guessing, perhaps a small animal died and rot in that room and some one burnt incense in order to disguise the bad smell and that's why you smelled it the first time in the room but it's effect had passed the second time you were there.
Another possible explanation would be the smell coming from the sewage. -Do you remember if there was a window that would allow the outside air in?

I mean no offence, but it seems that the first impression you got from the pastor biased your opinion of that church; although it is possible that the building could house some negative energies.
What is the denomination of the church? -I hope they do not perform satanic cults or belong to the KKK!

😨

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: