You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Held Down By Unknown Force

Real Ghost Stories

Held Down By Unknown Force

 

My name is Kayla Lynn. I'm new to this site, but have been an avid reader for over a year now. Now I have the opportunity to share my experiences with you, so I hope you enjoy. There are actually two separate accounts I'm about to relay, so we'll start at the beginning.

Over the summer, about four years ago, I was living with my dad in Lima, Ohio. We were homeless and were part of a program (which I will not name for privacy purposes) that housed families that were homeless. There were only two families at the time, our family and another. One week we'd stay in a church and the week after, we'd stay in a motel. This happened during church week, but it wasn't in the church, it was in the program's building.

My stepmother was doing laundry at the time and I was relaxing in a chair in the next room. There were still a few hours left to go until my dad got off work, so I decided to try and take a nap, since I hadn't been sleeping well. I'd dozed off and began dreaming. The dream took place in one of my old houses and in the dream I was relentlessly searching for my red candle, which in reality, was very sacred to me.

After nearly tearing the house apart (and at this point, very flustered) I walked outside and saw my candle sitting on the edge of the porch. I picked it up to find etchings in the wax, and this sent me into a total rage. I began to yell and scream, completely freaking out and going off about my candle. The more I yelled, I realized I was changing. It was no longer me, but something absolutely sickening. The woman (if that's what you want to call her) had patches of long, wiry brown hair. Her skin... Well, it was just disgusting. Her teeth were rotted and broken, the irises of her eyes were red and the whites were bloodshot. Frightening and sickening all at the same time.

In the midst of this horrid woman screeching, I jolted awake and found myself staring at the clock. About ten minutes had passed since I'd dozed off. I could hear Jess (my stepmother) in the next room doing laundry, so decided to get up and go hang out with her until it was time to pick up my dad. It was then that I realized I couldn't move. I tried with EVERYTHING in me, but to no avail. Panicked, I immediately opened my mouth to call out to Jess, but could only get some wheezes out. I struggled for what felt like a lifetime to get out of that chair. Finally, I felt a sort of relief of pressure and shot up out of the chair like a rocket into space. I bolted out of the room, found my stepmother and shared my strange experience with her.

It wasn't until weeks later that I read on the internet about the Old Hag Syndrome. Before then, I'd never heard of such a thing in my life. As I read up on it, it slowly dawned on me that the disgusting woman from my dream related to this Old Hag. I was definitely in shock and awe.

As for the second (and last) experience, I was at my grandmother's.

I was sleeping on the couch in the living room. Now, to help you visualize, I'll give a description of my grandmother's living room. When you walk in from the kitchen, there's a couch to the left (which is the one I was sleeping on). Move forward and there's a recliner by the hallway doorway (to the left past the couch) and a recliner on the right side of the room. Just past the recliner on the left is another couch and beyond that, a wall that contains a single window (I'm not very good at describing the living room, so I apologize).

Anywho, I was in the middle of dreaming about vampires. I was following a man down a hallway, watching as he entered very large double doors. At that moment, I fell and hit the marble floor. It was then that I heard a noise, one that jolted me from my sleep.

The first thought to cross my mind was that my mother was running outside because her boyfriend had gotten into an accident as he was leaving for work (don't ask me why that was my first thought, 'cause I really don't know). My eyes snapped open, expecting to see my mother running past, but there was nothing but complete darkness. The sound I was hearing can only be described as a herd of buffalo running right past me.

I was still hearing the noise and was staring straight ahead (toward the window by the other couch). Of course, I became confused. I went to sit up and further examine the room when, once again, I found I was unable to move. Panic swept over me and I immediately tried to call out to my mother. This time though, I wasn't even able to open my mouth. I couldn't make a single peep. I tried moving fingers and toes; nothing. So I thought to myself "if I pretend to fall back asleep, maybe I could move again", so I shut my eyes. I was overcome by an odd sensation, as if I was sinking down into the couch, followed by another relief of pressure. I opened my eyes once more, jumped up off the couch and ran into the kitchen where I flipped the lights on.

I fell against the counter, heart pounding, and began to laugh it off saying, "If you were trying to scare me, you were successful". After a few minutes, I shut the lights off and laid back down on the couch. Unable to fall back asleep, I looked around the room and was hit with a sudden realization. I was staring at the window again and realized that when I was unable to move, I could not see the window. Here I was, staring at it, seeing the faint light from outside shine through, but when I was restrained, I saw only black where the window should have been. As if something were standing in front of it, blocking it from my view. I was a bit creeped out, so I just turned toward the back of the couch, shut my eyes and forced myself back to sleep.

Other hauntings by Kayla_Lynn

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kayla_Lynn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

nanasan1 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-07)
I have had sleep paralysis for years, so has my mother and son. At frist I was very frightened. Now I just tell myself go back asleep, it usally works.
kunwarkh (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-18)
Yup, sleep paralysis.

I've submitted my own experience of it on the site, you will read it if they publish it:)
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-18)
Hello Kayla_Lynn, I go with ChrisB. I also feel that this should be sleep paralysis because whatever you narrated in both the experiences give the symptoms of sleep paralysis. I feel that the man standing in the living room would never have been connected to this experience anyway. Still I would like to know about that experience and looking forward to your submission and publication in the site.

But, without apparently any other experiences to the contrary, I feel both shall have to be sleep paralysis.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Bagpuss33 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-16)
Great story I had same experiences with being pinned down etc but usually as I shut my eyes it was someone squeezing me tightly and had a few experiences with some type of 4 legged created climbing onto the bed and up my body (again I closed my eyes). Strange thing was I definitely felt the bottom of the bed go down under some weight How much does science really know about sleep paralysis, is it just hallucinations, can they explain it all away?
Kayla_Lynn (3 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-15)
Hello ChrisB. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this. 😊 It's hard to say what it was. It was strange, to say the least. I hadn't even noticed the figure in front of the window until after the fact. Perhaps because I was so distracted by being restrained?
Notjustme. I'm not quite sure what exactly happened in either encounter, but the second encounter was definitely the most intense. I have a feeling it was related to this... Man I saw standing in the livingroom one night when I was talking to my grandma.
I'll share that story as well.
It's certainly a thrilling experience, that's for sure. The first thing you think of is to try and get someone's attention, since you're pretty defenseless. Each time it happened, I tried so hard to call out to someone, each time to no avail. It hasn't happened in a while. I wouldn't mind if it stays that way. Lol.
It seemed to last forever, but in reality, probably a minute, tops. I wasn't thinking about it before going to bed either. It just happened, outta the blue.
As for the Scary Lady, I saw her in my dream the first time I ever experienced this. It's more like the Gross Lady. Uck.
Hello Stephanie. Does it still happen? It hasn't happened to me in a while. Maybe a year now. Strange, nevertheless. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing these things as well. Good luck in your endeavors. 😊
NightTerrorGirl (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-14)
Hey Kayla.
My name is Stephanie. I've had the exact same experiences that you've been having. Basically I wake up with this enormous pressure on top of my and I can't open my eyes all the way, or scream, or move. When this happens I've found that telling myself "it's all in my head" seems to end whatever is happening. I'm not sure if it's something paranormal or if it's something we've conjured up, but it's nice to know it's not only me experiencing it. I know this is scary, and I hope we can both figure out how to end it.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-14)
kayla-lynn: this sounds very scary indeed. I have a question, how long did it last before the shadow went away? Did it eventually go when you turned around? My advice would be to pray next time it happens (hopefully not), and try your best not to fear. I had it happen to me once nearly 10 years ago in my teen years, and for some reason I knew it was going to happen. I think because iwas thinking about it before going to bed. When I did feel something on my chest I was freakin! I remember thinking "omg it's happening to me! The chest thing is happening! I tried to fight it for a second or two only. I didn't see scary lady but only a black mass on top of me. Then from god knows where, I pulled up the courage to say in my mind "**** it! I'm going back to bed!" and it worked for me! 😆 I felt it pretty much vanish quickly and I was comfortably back to sleep. NO FEAR my friend! Lol or try your best. Mind you if I saw whatvyou saw i'd probably crap my pants 😜 - notjustme
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-14)
hI Kayla. I realy like reading your story. To me I Think this was sleep paralysise> the syptoms you said all refer to that. I think there isn't any other explanation to that but on ther other hand there might be something here. Thanks for sharring hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: