You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Confined In A Mirror

Real Ghost Stories

Confined In A Mirror

 

When I was in the third grade, my parents packed my 2 younger brothers and myself and moved to a house on the outskirts of a small Ohio town. The house was at the end of a dead end street, few houses, no railroad tracks, but surrounded by woods.

The house had been built, lived in for two years, and repossessed by the bank. It sat empty for approximately 10 years before my parents bought it. There were three bedroom upstairs, which were designated to my brothers and I. My room had 3 closets in it. I was a small child, and obviously didn't need 3 closets, so one of them sat empty.

My Great Grandmother gave me a mirror that had belonged to my great great grandmother before her. It was of medium size, and trimmed in a gold metal braid. Every night, I would awake to hear that mirror vibrating on my wall. I would just lay there, at 8 years old, terrified at what could be causing it. I told my parents about it, but they refused to believe that something paranormal was in their home.

After months of this, I had my brother, a year younger than me, sleep in my room. I had high hopes that he, too, would experience it. Not long after we finally fell asleep, the mirror started rattling on the wall. My brother took that mirror down and put it in my empty closet. From that moment on, my closet was cold.

Several years later, I talked to my Great Grandma about it. She told me she gave me that mirror on accident. She said it should have been blessed and dumped. Her mother had it before she did. It would also wake her. She took it down and slid it under her bed for some peace and quiet one night. When she was almost asleep, her mattress started moving up and down, like someone underneath was pushing up on it.

Any ideas what was in that mirror, that terrified me as a child? I've always been quite positive that it was an entity of some sort, trying to escape, I was just never sure how it got trapped there or what exactly it was.

Other hauntings by Amanda32

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Amanda32, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
I adore mirrors. For many years I seemed to buy a new mirror weekly. The goddess Diana was also referred to as the "goddess of mirrors", which makes sense as the moon IS the largest of mirrors.

I have heard reference on MANY paranormal shows about entities being "stuck" in mirrors, or mirrors being used as portals to allow entrance to THIS realm. I have NO doubt that you experienced what you did. I'm just sad that the mirror in question was thrown away. 😢
Amanda32 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-26)
I would assume that something did get trapped in the mirror at some point.
North Coastie, I have lived in Ohio most of my life. I actually reside in Ohio now. I now, live right next to rail road tracks, the pictures on my walls don't even vibrate near as bad as the mirror did. And as I said, I lived no where near tracks at that time. It only happened at night, my great great grandmother experienced the same issues, and my closet was freezing cold after the mirror was taken down by my brother and put in the closet.
To answer some other questions, I did not remove the mirror from the closet. It stayed there until sometime after I moved out of my parents home. My youngest brother put it out for the trash when he moved into my old room.
Still to this day, I will not have a mirror hanging on a wall. Aside from my bathroom mirrors, which are securely mounted to the walls and unable to move, I do not have a single mirror hanging.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Mirrors have always creeped me out for some reason. My wife insisted on having a large mirror in our bedroom... I never liked the idea, I don't know why. Another quick insurance story --- I saw a photograph a coworker took on a total loss fire for a large apartment building claim that had a little girl's imagine in a mirror that was in one of the charred bedrooms. You could clearly see the foreground - no little girl between the camera and the mirror, but there was a reflection in the mirror. There were no deaths in the fire. I've read before that heat or bright light can sometimes trap an imagine in a mirror (sort of like what a photograph is), but that doesn't explain shaking!

No train tracks or major highways nearby? I live in Ohio - train tracks are everywhere, even in the country! Sometimes when you nail a photo frame, mirror, etc directly into a stud, vibrations are transferred to the framing of the home and that object will shake but you might not notice anything else shaking as the drywall, carpet, etc will absorb the vibrations. If your house was built on a single slab of stone, and there were nearby railroad tracks, a passing train could vibrate the slab from miles away and cause the mirror to shake. But then, if that were the case, why would your grandma have issues with the mirror? A lot to think about!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Amanda: it is possible that something got attached to the mirror sometime during the many years it has been with your family, it would be interesting to research the mirror's history.
What happened to it after your brother put it in the closet? Did you ever take it to get blessed before getting rid of it, like your GGM was supposed to do?
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Very scary! There was a story I once read about an actress (I forget who) who, as a small child, saw a murder reenacted in a mirror. No one believed her at the time but years later she learned that the mirror once hung in a house where a murder was committed.

Spirits being attached to objects is fairly common. Since it's a mirror, I'd expect the ghost of someone who was overly concerned with their appearance. Maybe?
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
-3
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Woaah that's scary I too have a mirror in my room. I better use my M-16 assault rifle on it and fast. 😜
bm77136 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
I totally believe what you are saying about the mirror. According to Feng Shui, you should never have a mirror in your bedroom and if you do, you are supposed to cover it when you go to sleep. All of this has something to do with inviting another energy into your room.
lin66127 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
I believe what you are saying about the mirror. When I had a long mirror leaning against my wall by my bed, I would see, out of the corner of my eye, a white form go into it and eventually come out of it and go through my rooms. I also saw a black form go into it. So I got rid of it. When my husband was near death, he said to my daughter, "Who are all those people coming out of the closet?" He passed away later on. On my night vision webcam I caught a small light flash behind my curtain covering my closet. Well, they say, mirrors and closets are portals for spirits to enter through. But we are not afraid. We are used to it.
Hahiha (28 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
I (personally) have never heard of an entity being trapped in a object... 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: