You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunting Of Dover Castle

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunting Of Dover Castle

 

Anyone who comes from the UK is aware Dover Castle is infamously haunted by several ghosts. It was used as a bombing shelter in WW2 and a hospital then too. It was also used by Dukes I think (can't remember years since I've been). It's now open to public and serves as a museum of sorts.

The most famous ghost rumored to have dwelled there is the ghost of a headless drummer boy. I did hope to see this spirit - but the one I saw wasn't as famous.

I went there when I was 7 with my Dad (believer), stepmum (believer) and brother (sceptic). This is where I saw my first spirit.

We were doing a tour in the bomb shelters and my dad, stepmum and I saw an army man in WW2 uniform at the end of the corridor. Other people on the tour saw him, but not everyone. My brother didn't. He then disappeared.

The spirit wasn't scary or threatening, rather peaceful. I don't know why only half of the people on the tour saw him, truthfully I have no clue. My guess is that only believers saw him.

I have been back twice and not seen a single ghost. If I mention that story to my family they just say "yeah that was a weird day" and my brother is still adamant that it was a hologram and he wasn't looking properly.

He's the type of sceptic who if he was thrown across the room by a man and then the man disappeared he would say he was imagining it.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? I've probably missed out some important details in my story as it was so long ago. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by Filmbuff1234

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Filmbuff1234, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-23)
Having worked for Colonial Williamsburg for a decade, I can say with absolute certitude that the overwhelming majority of ghost sitings by *guests* can be 100% attributed to bored costumed employees getting a few laughs. However, the employees themselves often have experiences of their own and when someone knows a locale or building as intimately as those staff members do - it is incredibly obvious when something is abnormal.

That said, there are some effects, which are either darn difficult or prohibitively expensive to achieve. I don't know what Dover Castle's finances are but most museums I have worked for don't have money to waste. A hologram generator can't be cheap and from what I have seen of them, there is little likelihood of an adult mistaking the image for the real thing.

P.S. Nectaravore (sorry if I spelled that wrong - I shouldn't have waited until the preview page to add this in) - I second your comment whole heartedly!
Filmbuff1234 (13 stories) (33 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-03)
Anno_Domini I do agree, but not everyone can see it. Nectavrore, that's an interesting theory and could well be true
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-05-03)
Hey Filmbuff

I have a theory that only people who are resonating at a certain frequency see, hear, feel, smell or sense spirits.

I think some people are born to it, some so sensitive they cannot switch it off, others, by comparison, not necessarily born with the gift can still develop the sight.
I firmly feel that anyone can develop it, it's just how on tune you want to get.

I do feel also that people who are born to it will have experiences with the paranormal their whole lives.
Someone from Sri Lanka once posted on here and called this state of being " Raksha Dev " (I think?) ... Meaning visible to spirits and able to see them

Someone without this energy, who isn't visible to spirits and can't see them, short of deciding consciously to develop second sight

Would likely go their whole lives without a single paranormal experience... Likely thinking others are making it up or at best, open minded, but unable to relate.

Bright blessings
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-03)
Hi Filmbuff,

I often wonder if "haunted" attractions such as those actually do employ actors in costume to sneak through the passageways to be glimpsed upon to generate buzz so more visitors would come. If I owned a place with a reputation that's actually what I'd do. 😜

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: