You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Witch

Real Ghost Stories

The Witch

 

Ghost, aberrations, witches, all seem to fall in the same paranormal grouping so here is a witch story.

Summer came like a wanted pleasure. The sun gently caressing down as dew began to absorb into a rich earth which began to spew forth hope. Blazing green shards of grass fought to cover the dying brown jilted lawns and the elliptical shaped buds unveiled organic hands outstretching to catch the golden rays. Yes, summertime. A beautiful time, a time of evil.

A child sees life through a different set of eyes and I was no different. My father had been very ill and was dying but I did not know. He was a pilot and was gone most of the time so when he came home to stay, I was happy and did not know there was another reason. Nor did I care, I had my dad home and that was all that mattered to me.

The adobe house we moved into was in a small Spanish village in northern New Mexico. Vallecitos, it was a town of about 320 people, all of which worked in the local lumber mill that was owned by my uncle. The house itself was two stories and had a wooden veranda on the back and the right side. The house was very old and still had a wood stove as a heat source and to cook on. There was no running water, so an outhouse was your only option and baths were in a claw foot tub that you would fill with pots of water you heated on the stove. The backyard was a tangled remnant of what used to be a beautiful orchard of apples and cherries.

You could tell by the scantly built houses that adorned the remainder of the town that the large adobe house was owned by someone of prominence and although times had been harsh to it, there was still a majestic beauty about its confines and I wondered why it had remained empty. Soon I would find out.

Old-school Spaniards are very devout in religion and also have a strong sense and belief in the occult, so it made sense when I was informed that a witch had owned the house and after she died no one would as much as step foot on the property, hence the lack of maintenance, even in the orchard.

The decaying once white wooden fence posts that staggered along the roadside in front of the house reminded me of small soldiers standing in some type of rag-tag formation, the rotting wood giving each one its own personality. A small creek ran along the left side of the house and was surrounded by dozens of small trees. The trees themselves reached across to grasp one another and formed a fissure where the sparkling water gurgled and splashed its way down only to reach a small river that cut through the center of the town, dividing north from south, poor from poorer. A small bridge leaped over the gap and looked as if it frowned with the sides of its mouth creased from one side to the other.

It was on the first night that we felt something was not right. There was a terrible scratching sound emitting from beneath the floorboards of the house and the lights would flicker on and off. My father assumed that a family of mice lived under the house and with this place being so old, the wiring was faulty. I accepted that and went upstairs, climbed into the top bunk of my old pine bunk bed, snuggled in and went to sleep. A strong smell of feces and rotten eggs assaulted me throughout the night, and I found myself pulling up the blankets back up multiple times as they seem to wander to my feet. An eeriness echoed with the scraping of limbs from the large tree behind the house and I felt as if I was being watched, the hair on my arms was raised and a brisk coldness lumbered in the air.

The next day my mother made fresh tortillas laden with melted butter and honey for breakfast. I had never had food cooked on a wood stove and it was marvelous, the memories of the night slipped away.

The tree behind the house had a rope descending from a large outstretched branch and I watched as it swayed back and forth in the warm summer breeze. A small green apple was visible just out on the branch and with the use of the rope, I was able to climb up to the limb. As I reached out for the apple, I felt a hard shove across my back. Clawing to save myself from certain doom, I was able to grab the rope to slow my fall and ended up with just a bruised leg. Still being young, I started to cry and was soon met by my mother and brother who ran out of the house to see what was wrong.

Other things began to happen, not just to me but to my family. My sister swears an old lady was looking at her in the bedroom mirror and our family dog suddenly attacked my brother. My mother could never find her keys and always yelled at me for playing with them, which I never did.

None of the kids would come to my house and play. They said their parents would not let them as the house was cursed and a witch lived there, so as a young boy I was hurt but something inside told me they were right, so I did not push the issue.

Everyone in the family knew something was wrong but we did not talk about it. Dad's health was getting worse and we really had nowhere else to go, so we just ignored the strange behavior in the house.

Summer was coming to an end and we had been at this house for several months. Besides the eerie things that had happened so far and the occasional sighting of an old lady in the mirror, life seemed rather usual.

That was all about to change.

It was late on a weekday night and once again I was having a tug of war with my blanket, when a loud scream came from downstairs. I could hear my father jump out of bed with my mother close behind. Suddenly the house seemed to shake, the bunk bed began to raise up and slam down, up and down, up and down. I began to cry and my brother yelled out, my sister was screaming for help in the other room, and everything started to twist.

Enter the witch.

The side door to the veranda near our bunk bed suddenly slammed open and a dark creature resembling an old lady had appeared. The smell of rotten eggs and death became strong, hair of putrid yellow seemed to glow and the eyes and mouth were darker then the night itself. This creature had a heavy raspy breathing that echoed in the room and made the hairs stand up on my neck. Then she screamed, "Get out!" The voice sounded like a thousand voices strewn together and resembled a growl. My father stood in the entryway on the opposite side of the room and the look on his face was of pure terror. He could not make a sound. My mother was calling out frantically to him but he just stood frozen, his already white sick skin, had now turned opaque. The book shelf had somehow fallen over and books were now flying about, slapping into the wall with a thud, only to start flying again. It was at that moment that my mother fell to her knees and started to pray.

Just as soon as she started, it stopped. We stared at one another for a long time utter disbelief at what we just witnessed. I began to cry as realization set in and we all huddled together. After my father had turned on all the lights and locked all the doors, my mother told us to grab what we wanted to keep because we would not be back. So we gathered our things and quickly ran to the car.

The next morning at my uncle's house, I remember listening to them talk, my uncle's voice quaked in disbelief, and I heard my aunt tell my father she had warned him. Had they known?

I never went back to that house until I was in my 30's. The house is still there but the lumber mill long since closed and the town seemed empty. A few still remained but they went inside and would not engage my conversation. The adobe house still stood at the top of the hill and looked just as I remembered it. I did go inside as it was obvious no one lived there. Besides the staggering amount of crosses, pentagrams and various graffiti on the walls the house looked the same, although somewhat smaller. My old pine bunk bed was still there with the name Frog scratched into its surface. Frog was my nickname when I was young. I could still smell feces and rotten eggs.

I have never been back...

Looking on Google for the correct spelling of the name of the town, I was shocked to see a listing and a YouTube video of an adobe house for sale. Although it was not the same house, the town is right. The house for sale belonged to a little boy named Sammy. His house was right before the bridge near the old church. We would get fresh milk from the dairy barn across the street. His parents never let him come to my house but we would play on the side of the main road leading into Vallecitos. Part of the mountain had collapsed and we would roll down the sandy side.

Hello to Tiny who ran the general store across the street from our house. She would give me free candy and a blessing as she knew how poor we were, even though I did not.

P.S I had almost forgotten this story as I was only eight at the time. My sister brought it up when I told her I put the story of my ghostly visitor on this site. So with vague memories and a little encouragement, here I post again.

Other hauntings by bloodruns

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bloodruns, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fenrispro (58 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-06-14)
Very vivid account... It must have been horrifying to see those phenomenon. I thought mexicans are mostly catholic? From some shows I saw on tv paranormal witness, there were some using ouija boards. Yea those believe in occult
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-12-31)
Hello:
I tried to find it on Google maps. Unfortunately, the only street view is from the 111 that intersects with 576/106, but no street views going through town. The zoom option is fairly close, but I can't tell from rooftops all houses that are adobe. I can see two look pinkish, but that's about it. I guess I'm just one of those curious types that likes envisioning where it happened. Great story!
bloodruns (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-27)
[at] valkricry Sometimes bad things that happen as a child gets pushed down in the mind, as we develop into adulthood it can resurface, I covered my mind with alchohol as an adult and drowned out all the past, when I sobered up memories began to creep back from my Id where the dark fluid of my minds eye now boils and as it overflows, I remember...
P.s. This story is told from the memory of a lost eight year old boy and what (I) he remembers.

[at] WiniPu4 No that is not the house, the adobe house was at the top of the hill and was two stories, it had stairs going up the side of the kithchen near the stove and a varanda that wrapped around the side and back, along with two entryways from the varanda.
That is in the same town so it certainly can help with visuals.
valkricry (49 stories) (3271 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-27)
bloodruns,
Very interesting account. Since your sister also recalls it (how could one forget something like that?) I think it's safe to scratch imagination off the list. Truly terrifying!
valkricry (49 stories) (3271 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-27)
mishalasif,
To submit your story: up at the top of the page, next to where it says "Your Ghost Stories" you'll see a link titled "Submit your story", click that. Now, don't worry if the submission page is closed, it generally reopens on Monday. It's very recommended that you first write up your story in Word or another program like it, so that you can correct grammar and such easier. Word to the wise - they really frown on 'text talk' like 'plz' instead of 'please'. You get my drift, I'm sure. (Just try your best 😉 and I'm sure you'll do fine.) Hope that helps!
mishalasif (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-27)
hi I'm new here. Can anybody tell me how I can submit my story.plz

😕
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-27)
Hello:
Is it the house at 35 SR 576?
I googled adobe house Vallecitos & found this... Was wondering if this is yours or your friend's:

Http://www.trulia.com/property/3130095564-35-State-Road-576-Vallecitos-NM-87581#photo-1

There are 16 pics of it! It describes "Huge country kitchen with woodburning cookstove." thought it just might be yours...

Very well written & an enjoyable read.
bloodruns (2 stories) (8 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-12-26)
Thank you for all the comments, I am not a writer but do feel that I am an artist and as any good artist I try to paint my readers a picture of what I am trying to convey so you can see what I saw and through words I want you to feel my emotions at the time. I have never had any training as I dropped out of school, I got involved in a bad way of life for a long time lots of drinking, maybe I was trying to forget, because of that I had put this story in the recess of my mind but writing The Other Room and sharing, plus reading other stories on here made me feel good enough to finally share some of my paranormal experiences, perhaps the conversation with my sister brought this memory back to the surface and allowed me to write it through that childs eyes again.

To Spiritwaiting-no my father died several months later but I do think something awakened in me as I do see the dead from time to time and I get flashes of the future, usually they happen just seconds before the actual event happens so no way to change it, just get to be not as surprised when it happens...
It was almost as if the spirit that visited me as an adult (THE OTHER ROOM), sliced open some membrane in my mind or maybe I am just weird.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-24)
bloodruns, You are an excellent writer. Great memory. The blankets, tug of war, yes I have had similar experiences with. Its truly scary. The witch part now I have no idea how any of you, stayed sane afterwards! Did your fathers health ever improve after leaving the home?
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-24)
I love the way you write. Very detailed. This is very creepy! 😨 Gonna add this to my favorites! 😉
bluemer04 (1 stories) (58 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-24)
I second you Sree. Bloodruns I think you're a writer. Reading your story I felt scared, I think it is very difficult to deal with witches as they have some kind of "powers or magic"- I just can't find the word to say. They can hurt and kill you too. You are so brave going back there knowing the fact that anytime the witch can do whatever she want. It's bad that the neighbors do not want to talk about it, maybe they are just protecting their family. However to put this to an end, someone should do something about it. Maybe she needs help or something for her to be at peace- just a thought. Hope to see more stories from you.
Sree (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-24)
Wow simply wow! The way you have written it I think you can write a book or two. I could imagine all the details, your house everything. And I must say you are a brave person I cannot imagine myself going back to the place which had tormented me and my family let alone entering the house alone. Hats off to you! In India also we believe in witches I guess witches are a global phenomena!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: