You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Ghost In The Kitchen

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost In The Kitchen

 

My girlfriend and I just recently bought a home in Richardson, TX about 7 months ago. This home was built in 1971. We have done some nice updates like a new wood floor and a new fence, things of that nature. We have enjoyed our new home and the pride of ownership that comes with a home purchase. Lately, though, some strange things have been happening, the strangest being what occurred last Saturday, February 15, 2014, which I will lead up to.

The first odd occurrence had to do with a combination masterlock on our bedroom closet door, which was bought and installed to keep my son and his friends out of the closet. We set the combination at 000 and it worked fine for about 3 weeks when one day the combination simply stopped working. Didn't think too much of it, even though I've never had a quality lock do that before, just stop working. I had to tear the locking mechanism off the door and we went with a locking doorknob with keys.

About a week later, I entered our bedroom to grab something out of our bathroom. When I went to exit our bedroom, I found that the door had locked behind me from the inside out. I know for certain that I did not turn the lock on the handle, never have. This was really kind of attention grabbing, but nothing like I was going to experience about 2 weeks later in our kitchen.

This last Saturday, 2 days ago, I went to Lowe's to grab a few solar lights for the backyard and some dummy home security stickers to add to a few our windows to make any possible intruders have to at least think twice about entering our home.

I got back home a little after 5:00 PM and got the solar lights planted and went inside to put some stickers on some windows. I started in the kitchen and was approaching the window when I noticed one of our cats sitting in a chair in front of the window. As soon as I noticed the cat, I noticed its head was turning toward the fridge like it was noticing some sort of movement. Next to the fridge is a large trash can and what I saw next is something I will never forget.

As soon as I looked toward where the cat's attention was, I immediately noticed that the swivel lid on the trash bin was going back and forth, kind of rapidly, over and over again. It went back and forth at least 6 to 8 times before finally immediately stopping.

Startled, I slowly approached the trash bin to see if some wild animal had possibly jumped in or something, I really didn't know what to think at this point. The other cat was in another room. There was no breeze or any sort of wind at all in the kitchen, nothing that would cause what I just witnessed.

I decided to test the lid myself to see if I could reproduce what I just saw. I tapped the lid rather forcefully to see how many times it might go back and forth. It went back and then forth one time and stopped. I did it again and it went backward then forward once before stopping. I was not able to reproduce what I just saw and even if I had been able to, it would have already been weird enough.

This whole incident in our kitchen has had me spooked ever since, even making me do online research to find out if someone had died in our house at some point. I found out that no one has passed away in this house, but it certainly doesn't disprove the possibility of a ghost.

I have never seen or experienced anything like this before in my whole life and I have always been skeptical of the existence of ghosts. I am thoroughly convinced that this was a paranormal experience and I can guarantee you that I am no longer skeptical of the existence of ghosts.

I am really hoping there are no more episodes like this and that whatever this was in our kitchen just moves on. I am still very creeped out about the whole thing, although my girlfriend seems to be embracing the possible existence of a ghost in our home. Personally, I just hope it's over, although I am very afraid it may not be.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ponyfan4life, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Alexa (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-01)
Can you give me a general idea of where this house is located? I used to live in a house on N. Lindale Lane in Richardson which had much paranormal activity. It was built in 1964. This is a road that connects Arapaho and Belt Line.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-17)
It could have been a mouse falling into the can perhaps, but who knows? Good story, it was a nice read.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
Love it, Mfkubee, I was thinking the same thing. Like this spirit really had fun with all the locks, and the trash can lid was just to ask,"how are the locks working for ya?" Great story.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
ponyfan4life- ooooh that would scare the crap out of me! Hopefully it's just a residential haunting or a child spirit having some fun with you 😕...keep us posted!
ponyfan4life (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
Thank you Triskaideka for your possible foot mechanism explanation, but there is no mechanism on this trash bin. I can tell you there have thankfully been no strange/unexplainable movements in our home since this incident. Hoping that trend continues!
mrfknbee (39 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Cool story, brilliant thinking trying to and repeat what you saw. I love how you have done all the procedures to prevent intruders and ended up having one who never really left lol. Good luck
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
I feel like it must've been on this site that I read about spirits of the "in between", which linger in windows or doorways. Who mentioned that? I found it to be an interesting concept. Even the trash bin lid seems to fit in, since a trash can has an inside and an outside. Something was meddling with access between areas, is what it sounds like to me.

That said, there are perfectly logical explanations for the doors. For one thing, if you had the lock set to 0 0 0, one of the children may have fiddled with it and reset the lock combo. (Because seriously, that's a really easy to guess combo, and also many locks are designed so that you can actually -reset- the combo -from- all 0s or all 1s to something else. A kid may have accidentally changed the lock combo after accessing your closet.) As for the bedroom door, again, one of the children may have messed with it.

I'm not sure about the trash bin, though. Does it have one of those footpedals to lift the lid up? Was the trash bin in full view or could you only see the top from where you were standing? I wonder if it's possible if the other cat leaned on that pedal repeatedly, then scampered off before you walked over to investigate. It's also possible you had a mouse in the kitchen or something else fiddling with the mechanism.
alistoni (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
ponyfan4life, thanks for sharing your interesting story and I believe that it is a very real paranormal occurrence to have happened to you. Your cat sensed it, whatever it was. I once had a strange encounter with my kitchen waste bin.
Mine was an open top type which I had improvised by draping a plastic shopping bag over a wire basket frame. I was sitting there at the dining table in my kitchen one evening when I noticed hearing these faint popping sounds coming from where the bin was in the corner of the room. I looked over to it and saw what seemed to be, two or three tiny fireworks popping out from inside, like tiny sky-rockets. It all stopped just after I caught the last two fling out onto the kitchen floor. I went over to find the cause for all this weirdness and found nothing inside to have caused such a thing. I found one piece of fragment on the floor. I remember it looked like a tiny piece of greyish coloured charcoal. Very strange indeed, and to this day, still perplexed.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: