You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Visit From My Cat And Loud Radio

Real Ghost Stories

Visit From My Cat And Loud Radio

 

I still hesitate before submitting this story. I am not sure whether it is a haunting, or even anything paranormal, but it's definitely one the weird things that has happened to me of late.

I had to put down my 14-year old cat last January 11th. Stage 4 kidney failure.

Almost a month later, on the night between Wednesday and Thursday, Feb 6th: during that night, I "woke up" to the feeling of something walking on my bed, and the sound of purring in my ears.

Thinking back, I assume I was in a state of sleep paralysis. Anyway, my mental state was so much different, that I couldn't swear that Joe-the-Cat was not only in my head that night.

But wait, that's not the end of my story!

I use an android app to monitor my sleep. For those of you who are not familiar with that kind of app, it uses your phone's accelerometers to detect when you move in your sleep. It then uses this information to try and wake you at an "appropriate" time: the idea being that the more you move, the lighter your sleep.

The app I use can also record noises during the night. I keep this option switched on, and get good laughs from time to time, listening to my snoring.

So after my remembering Joe's nocturnal visit, I figured I should listen to the night's recordings. I couldn't hear any purring or meowing on the recordings, but...

At 5:30 on Thursday morning, the app recorded a 97s segment: after a few seconds where you can hear me moving in my bed, suddenly, what I can only describe as the sound of radio stations. Loud.

There are no radios in or near my bedroom. No TV set either. No nothing. I sleep with my android phone, obviously, and my Kindle tablet is usually nearby, as I like to watch videos or read in bed before going to sleep.

It sounds like a radio receiver scanning stations. Although it sounds loud, it didn't wake me up at the time. I cannot make out what is being said, but I believe the voices are speaking English. I live in a region where there are very few non-French medias...

This has never happened before (although I seldom listen to my nightly recordings). At this point my best, rational guess is: some weird software glitch?

What do you think? Any link between this and Joe-the-Cat?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JSebax, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ms_st0308 (6 stories) (66 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
I know this post is several months old, but it reminds me of my experience with my dog. I had to have her put to sleep December 2013, a few weeks before Christmas due to ruptured discs and paralysis. It was very sad and very difficult for me, but I had dreams about her for several weeks afterwards. They were mostly bad dreams about the days leading up to her death and almost like I was replaying everything that had happened and everything that she and I had gone through during those last few weeks. Finally, one night, I had a good dream. I think she was letting me know she was safe and happy, and finally, healthy. I still get very upset thinking about that time, but I agree with the others that pets can visit us. I think that sometimes we can love so intensely that people or pets we have lost need to let us know it's ok.
JSebax (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-20)
Thank you everyone for your taking the time to comment my story!
[at] mii_chl: you bring something interesting with the idea that a cell phone can pick other calls. I was not aware of that, and think that could be an explanation.
[at] Triskaideka and [at] frangelica1: really, you can hear me say "cat"? I'll have to check that!
FYI, I have listened to my recordings since that episode, and nothing special has happened, except my snoring 😉. And Joe-the-Cat didn't come back either (that I know of).
frangelica1 (40 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-20)
First of all - so sorry for the loss of your cat! I have had some experiences with my little dog reappearing after her death and some other incidents with my deceased father that I will share someday, also. Their spirit can come back to visit and let you know everything is okay - just like the spirits of our other passed loved ones. Sometimes you can see their apparition or hear them or feel them. In your recording, I also heard the word cat right before the weird scanning starts.

In terms of your recording, if you did not turn on your TV, tablet etc in your sleep, it sounds like rapidly changing or overlayed channels of a TV rather than radio.

Spirit Recorders use fast scanning of radio frequencies as a base line for spirits to use to attempt to communicate with you. Your recording sounds strangely like scanning of multiple TV channels. Have heard that spirits can turn on TVs and radios, so maybe that was done to get a message to you.

I have a program I use with recordings I make called audacity (free software download) that allows you to isolate and remove base noise from recordings and amplify words that come in very low. You may want to download the software and play with it to see if you can recover something more meaningful in the recording. I tried to download the sound file to check it for you, but the site only allows me to download the link and not the audio file itself.

I have definitely gotten some recordings of close family that have passed on and you might have, also! I find it is not unheard of to have a bark or meow come through!

You may want to follow some of the other suggestions and setup a video recorder or review your night's recordings each morning to see if anything comes through again!
paranomscare54 (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
I can definitely here a cat or a purr lots of little noises in the back round.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
Hi JSebax, I have just listened to your recording. To me it sounds like a video you have on your phone being played. It seems to have that sorts of sound to it. Do you have any videos that sound like this, towards the end it seems to speed up slightly. Obviously I don't know where the phone was when the recording was made, but if it was under your pillow or near you, you could have clipped it with your hand whilst moving around.

Just a thought. Thanks for sharing 😊
Hahiha (28 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
This reminds me of what happened to my cat, he was 14 years of age as well. We put him down a couple days before the Christmas of 2012. He was put down because he was puking everywhere and because of other minor reasons but just because he was in so much pain. I had a bad habit of staying up late, one night I stayed up until like 1:45 in the morning (took a while for me to settle down). And around 2 o' clock a felt something jump up on my bed and felt four areas of pressure move up along my back and then lie down. It had happened before and after that, because my parents previous cat had also died in the house. A paid rambling by the Hahiha profile.
mii_chl (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
that wasn't a radio station. There was no music, no call signs, and it was the wrong kind of static. What it sounds like is you were picking up other peoples phone calls. That can happen. It's rare, but it does happen. Your phone is a receive when you're not talking on it. That's how you can still receive calls. Take your phone to the store and get it upgraded, updated, or reset that should take care of the situation. Or let them know what happened and trade it in for a new phone.

As for the cat, it sounds like you were having a waking dream. If you don't know what that is, you're still in a state of sleep, but you're conscious. It happens most commonly when you're just waking up, and the chemicals your brain produces while asleep are sill running through your system. Examples of this are when you wake up and you see that guy at the foot of the bed, you close you eyes and shake your head and he's gone, that's a waking dream. Or when you wake up and you can't move. Your body is still asleep but your mind is awake.

This said, them happening at the same time is a little convenient, but you only remember the coincidences. You might think about getting a digital camera and recording yourself sleeping over a few day to a week. Watch it and see what happens.
iez (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
I had my cat visit me when she was no longer on this world. So a visiting cat is not strange.
And an electronic glitch seems a good thing for explenation since my computermonitor sometimes does the same strange things... Reading the internet and suddenly I hear radiostations while my cellphone is in the bedroom and could not interfere with the monitor.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Wow... What a strange feed. I would chalk it up to an electronic glitch but I definitely heard you mutter "cat" before it started. 😊 It sounds like three radio stations playing at the same time, overlapping one another. I hear a boy in one, a group in another, and birds in another. Very intriguing...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Here is the link to JSebax's recording: https://soundcloud.com/jseb68/2014-02-06-05-30

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: