You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Kitchen Sink

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Kitchen Sink

 

So, I wanted to share this experience from when I was around 7 years old. It's not a very eventful story, but it is still my experience. I used to be friends with this girl, we're going to call her Kristen just for the sake of privacy, and because I am not close with her anymore.

Kristen and I were about the same age at this point years ago, and we lived only about two blocks from each other. We would hang out at each others houses during the weekend, often alternating houses every other weekend. Well, this one day I was over at Kristen's house, playing of course like normal 7 year old girls do. And on this day Kristen's family was expecting some company from New Mexico, where her family was from. Of course, little awkward 7 year old me, stayed inside once their family did actually arrive. Take note that I was, in fact, the only person in their house at this time, I was sitting on an ottoman that was out in their living room, close by their front door. I heard a familiar sound coming from in their kitchen. It sounded as if their sink had mysteriously turned on while no one, except for me, were inside the house. Of course, I was in fact very curious, much like any other child would be.

I stood up, and made my way to the threshold of their kitchen. I peered into the room, and my eyes and ears were automatically drawn to their kitchen sink. The sink was mysteriously, turned on. No, I was not imagining this sight. I still remember this day as if it was yesterday. The sink ran for another good 10 seconds, and, right in front of my eyes, the handles turned, which then shut off the faucet, much like somebody was standing there, and just turned off the sink like it was a normal thing. Except, no one was there. I immediately rushed outside to tell Kristen what I had just witnessed in their Kitchen, and she had explained to me that it was just their ghost. Kristen said this as if it was a normal thing, and then continued to explain to me that herself, and her mom had witnessed things such as this event that I had witnessed. Her mom much of the time would stay up later at night while her daughter Kristen and her son were in bed asleep. At night, she could hear footsteps going up and down their stairs all night. Her mom had suspected the spirit was a child, based on how the footsteps were very childlike. Now I for sure know that this event could not be scientifically explained, based on how the handles of the sink physically turned the faucet off.

This was one of the first paranormal experiences that I had encountered, and it certainly was a memorable one. Kristen and her family do not live at this house anymore, but the house still stands, and as far as I know, quite a few families have lived there since she has since moved out. Whether the amount of tenants that have moved in and out of the house over the years been connected to paranormal events taking place in the house, I am not for certain. Although I would be very much interested to know the history of this house, and whether there were any deaths that occurred on or near the property/house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Smitty16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-03)
Excellent point Biblio. Those taps can not turn off by themselves. That goes against all the known laws of physics.

I agree there's nothing wrong with healthy, well balanced and reasoned skepticism - it's almost essential on this site.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-03)
Greetings, Smitty, and welcome to YGS.

The skeptic's comment about water pressure turning the valves within faucets or taps, especially older ones with worn washers or cracked gaskets, is absolutely accurate. A sudden surge in pressure through the pipes will turn ON the taps: no question. However, you stated "Now I for sure know that this event could not be scientifically explained, based on how the handles of the sink physically turned the faucet off."

A **drop** in water pressure will NOT turn the faucet taps off. If you turn off the water supply to the kitchen, the water will stop travelling through the pipes to the faucet, thus the water will decrease from a flow to a trickle, then to mere dripping, ultimately to a complete cessation of water. That point established, the taps would remain open (at the "on" position) until someone applied pressure to the faucet's handles to turn them off.

Your description of there being "handles" (not "a handle") means that two handles turned off (either simultaneously or sequentially) and there was no visible physical agent present to create that action. It is good, healthy, and sensible to be skeptical of each narrative in order to dismiss mundane events that may appear paranormal, but skeptical reasoning must account for all of the evidence provided by the original writer.

I thought your narrative was well-structured and that you provided clear descriptions of an unsettling but harmless experience. Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Biblio.
TheSkeptic (21 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-03)
Sounds like poor plumbing in that house. Sounds like Kristens family should have gotten that house checked out if the sink was turning itself on and off. If water pressure builds up too high (since the sink is a screw) it will open the tap on its own. Ask any plumber.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-01)
You may say you were an awkward little kid but you sound like you were a brave one to me!:)

Oddly, I think I was about that same age when something quite similar happened to me in the house I grew up in. It was around 8pm, my brother was babysitting (he's ten years older than me so he'd have been about 17 at the time) and he was helping me get ready for bed in the upstairs bathroom - making sure I brushed my teeth. Suddenly, as we were both standing there at the sink, we heard a noise from the bathtub behind us. We both turned around to see the knobs that turned the tub faucet on turning by themselves. The water came on full blast as we stood there in shock. I don't even remember what happened after that - just how scared I was!
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-10-31)
Hi Smitty16

Welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing your experience. It always has intrigued me as to why some spirits interact with the material plane in the way they do.

There could be a a few reasonably plausible explanations for what you witnessed:

1. There's a spirit dwelling in the house that, for whatever reasons, doesn't realise it has passed over and continues to go about it's daily, mundane business.

2. There's a spirit that simply wanted to draw attention to itself and decided to turn the taps on and off. But why?

3. A spirit attempted to frighten you, but if it wanted to do that, I'm sure it could have something way more sinister.

Either way, you were very lucky to witnessed first hand some spiritual phenomena.

Regards

Mack

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: