You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Phantom Sounds In The Kitchen

Real Ghost Stories

Phantom Sounds In The Kitchen

 

This strange incident occurred recently in my current home. I have no way to explain it other than a phantom sound.

It was the summer of 2016 and the house was fairly hot. I was having a hard time sleeping in my bedroom, so I decided to go down the hall, to sleep on our couch in the living room instead. I tossed and turned for awhile, but finally fell asleep.

Around 3:30 in the morning, I woke up and was lying on the couch. I was debating whether I should go back down the hall to my room when I noticed a sound coming from the kitchen. It was a very discernible sound, hard to mistake for anything else. Basically I heard the sound of someone putting their hand into a bag of potato chips, followed by the sound of the chips being eaten. That sound you hear when someone is rustling through the bag, was very clear. The chomping sound was just as clear.

I knew what time it was and tried to consider who it could be. I knew it wasn't my kids. They never get up that early to eat anything. I thought it could be my wife, but that was also unlikely. And the strangest part of the situation was, I suspected it was another paranormal incident I was witnessing.

I just laid on the couch, listening for a few minutes. It was weird. I could have easily looked around the corner, to confirm who was in the kitchen. But for some reason I felt compelled to wait it out. I honestly wasn't sure who or what I might see. Somehow I knew it wasn't anyone from my family.

Another interesting fact was, we were going to be having a party at the house soon, so three bags of chips were sitting on the counter. I knew they were there. But I still didn't want to look into the kitchen. I guess I was a little scared. Scared that I might come face to face with a ghost.

After a few minutes passed, the sounds finally stopped. I waited another minute or so, just to see if my wife would leave the kitchen. But she never did. At that point I slowly stood up and walked across the couch. Then I peeked around the corner into the kitchen. Like I suspected, nobody was there. The bags of chips were still lined up in a row.

I went into to the kitchen, just to make sure it hadn't been a mouse, burrowing into one of the bags. But the bags were unopened. I relaxed at that point. The tension I was feeling about the incident had subsided. I knew it had been another paranormal incident, that I couldn't explain.

But in all honesty, I don't know what to make of this one. The fact that I clearly heard someone eating chips, when nobody was there, is a mystery to me. I've never experienced anything like that before. I guess that's why they're called phantom sounds. But it was the oddest thing. I only wish I had more courage to look into the kitchen sooner. But my gut feeling kept telling me not to. It was as if knew I shouldn't disturb whatever was going on in the kitchen. I can't really explain that either. It was just the way the incident played out.

Other hauntings by Always-Wondering

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Always-Wondering, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-13)
Objects exist in more than one dimension. Perhaps in a parallel dimension, someone actually was eating from one of those three bags, and the reality bled over into our reality temporarily. Just a thought.
Always-Wondering (3 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-08)
Hi Curly,

I have tried to notice if more sounds come from the kitchen. I don't often sleep out on the couch. But my thinking is, having the dog in the kitchen might deter more activity. I can't say 100% for sure though.
Curly_1Lack (2 stories) (21 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-07)
Hi Always wondering,
Loved your story and just wanted to say that I felt at first that the potato chip munching was a residual haunting, but then changed my mind because the chips were there at the time and not from something that may have happened long ago. Very puzzling to me. And I'm like you... I would have said "Go on eating those chips.Don't let me stop you.I'm just sitting here minding my own business!" right before I started praying.Lol!
As for the time being 3:30,some people try to downplay the 3-3:30 thing, but I kept having episodes several years ago where I kept waking in the night and would look at my clock and EVERY time it was 3:14.Sometimes it would happen 3 or 4 nights in a row. The odds of that happening randomly are surely astronomical. That went on for months and then suddenly stopped. I only wish I knew what the importance of that time was. Maybe somebody had died in the house at that certain time.Anyway,thanks for sharing!
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
AW, I'd be interested in an update. I have a kitchen thing that repeats itself. Baking aromas at pre-dawn hours: cinnamon toast, coffee cake, cookies, etc. It runs in cycles, usually manifests itself around seasonal changes. It also tends to occur when we are working on some DIY project in our 120-year-old house.

Anything like this happening for you? Remodeling, etc?
Always-Wondering (3 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Hi Argette,

Yes, just once recently. I didn't hear any of the sounds like I did that night. Of course, I have the new dog now. I think he would detect anything before I did.

I don't know if pets can be good guards against unwanted visitors, both alive and dead, but he barks at people who walk up to the door.

The old dog had to be let go primarily because of her nipping. She nipped my son once as he was trying to hop a short fence in our backyard. Six weeks later she nipped him again, causing him to bleed. That was the main reason we let her go to the other family.

As far as I know, they had a large property that she roamed around on. She was also a runner. She ran away one day and was picked up by someone who brought her to animal control. If pets can come back, I guess maybe it could have been her. If I ever hear the sounds again, I will force myself to look.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Have you tried sleeping on the sofa again, just to see if you hear the sound again?
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Hi Always-Wondering--Yes, a pet's spirit could definitely return and make the sounds you heard. That possibility is even more compelling as you mentioned your old dog liked to munch up leftovers from the floor. My wife and I had a cat who had to be put down, because of cancer, return for a brief visit. He was a black cat but when he appeared to us a couple of weeks after he was euthanized, he was, essentially, a cat shaped figure that was semi transparent and gave off a slight reddish glow.

He appeared on the top of the back of a chair he used enjoy sleeping on, jumped off of it and then up onto a low table that had our stereo and tv on it. The figure then disappeared behind the tv. It seemed to have been a farewell of sorts. Sounds like there is a possibility that your deceased pup might have stopped back at the family's house it preferred. The idea that the dog was potentially put down because the new owners didn't want it any longer really sucks though. Too many people think of pets as disposable items. That's both depressing and infuriating.
Always-Wondering (3 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Hi Manafon,

For some reason. I felt compelled not to look. I'm not really sure why. But I know it was nobody in my family, as they would have to walk past me to get back down the hall.

There have been a few other occasions in my life where I've heard unexplained sounds. But nothing quite like that. We have since added a dog to our family. He sleeps in the kitchen. I imagine he would detect the presence of anything out of the ordinary, as he often barks at people when they come to the front door.

Although, now that we're talking about this. I don't know if pets can return to places they once lived in. We had another dog earlier in the year. We gave her to another family, as she barked too often and had a bad habit of nipping visitors. She was IDed and micro chipped.

One day we received a call that she had gotten loose. We were called because her micro chip had our info. I told the animal control facility that she was no longer our dog and that I would notify her new owners. But basically a note from the facility said she would be put up for adoption or put to sleep, if she was never picked up. I don't think she was claimed by the new family. If she had been put to sleep, do you think it's possible a pet's spirit could return, causing phantom sounds? She often ate left overs if they fell on the ground. I'm just wondering now, because I never considered that until now.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Always-Wondering--You didn't write in your account if there is more than one entrance to your kitchen. If there is, it really would seem likely that one of your kids, or your wife, was getting a secret nocturnal snack. When people get a midnight snack, quite often they don't want anyone to know. I know you stated that the bags of chips for the party remained unopened on the kitchen counter when you did finally investigate but were there other already opened bags in a pantry or cupboard?

I'm just throwing out some possibilities. It's too bad you just didn't take a quick peek around the corner. Of course, it could have been a residual chip chomping ghost. What are often referred to as residual ghosts are often seen doing very mundane things, so eating chips could fall into that category. Without looking to see who the midnight chip chomper was, this will remain a mystery.
Always-Wondering (3 stories) (11 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
Hi lady-glow,

I don't know. But that was a weird one. I avoided telling my family about it because I was going to be going out of town soon with my kids. My wife was going to be home alone for a few days. She doesn't really like it when I talk about strange occurrences like that. I guess it makes her uncomfortable.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-05)
I wonder if ghosts get fat from having midnight snacks! 😐

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: