You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Followed By A Man

Real Ghost Stories

Followed By A Man

 

It first happened when I was around thirteen years old. I was spending the weekend at my grandparents house, I stayed there often enough that I had my own room on the second story. Since I stayed there so often I was very comfortable in the house, and had no reason to be frightened in any of the rooms.

That was until one night after playing cards with my grandma. It had gotten late so I decided I would go to bed when I walked into my room I saw a very creepy looking man looking in through the window. When I saw him I froze. He put his finger to his lips as a sshh! Motion and then was gone. Now mind you, this the second story and they live in the middle of the woods with no neighbors for about a mile in either direction. I was too scared to sleep at this point so I kept the lights on covered the windows and watched TV all night to try and take my mind off of what had happened.

After that night nothing else happened for several years, until my girlfriend and I bought and moved into my grandparents' house 2 years ago. One night we were both sound asleep until we heard our dog barking and growling like crazy at the end of our bed. We could hear footsteps walking down the hall and then a loud banging on our bedroom door, then the footsteps going down the hallway again. So I grabbed my bat and the dog and went to see what was going on, walking down the hall turning on every light switch I passed and not seeing anything I began to relax, thinking maybe it was just the dog's tail hitting the bed. But then we walked into the main entrance and the dog started growling again at the top of the stairs I saw the same man that I had seen outside my window nine years earlier again, with the same gesture, and was gone and the dog calmed down.

Then last month we decided to finish the basement in the house and put in a bar and theater room. While my girlfriend was away, my friend came up from the city to help me do some work in the basement over the weekend. I put him in my old room on the second floor. The next morning while he was running the electric I went up to carry down some more lumber for the framing. As I was starting down the stares I saw the man standing in the dining room this time with an evil grin. I was so startled that I fell down the stairs, luckily not hurting myself. My friend came running over asking what the heck I was doing and I told him about the man that keeps showing up, and he told me I was crazy and let's get back to work. We worked the rest of the day with no problems, then ate dinner and went to bed.

The next morning he came down with bags in hand and told me, "I gotta go, we're the only ones here" and I asked what he was talking about, knowing that I had locked the doors and windows before going to sleep. He told me, "All I know is that last night I kept hearing someone walking up the stairs and pacing the hallway, and when I opened the door to look, there was a man walking down the stairs."

I don't know what to do, I am tired of worrying that this man will keeping showing up. I know it's not an living person because there are no signs of entry and he just disappears. I'm tired of constantly being in fear of looking out a window at night in the chance of him being there or around the corner.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hareracing35, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

phenonw (1 stories) (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-28)
hareracing35, I agree with most of the others, in that he may be an ancestor or former owner or lived on the land. He doesn't seem to be a bad spirit. I would not sage your home & throw him out unless he becomes harmful. He could be there protecting you or your home. Talk to him, ask him who he is/was & what he's doing there.
Oh, & don't be afraid. Remember he has not harmed you.
Phenonw
eternal_flame (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-03)
A couple of questions... Do you see this man only in your Grandparents house? Do you know the history of the home or the history of the land? And did you Grandparents ever tell you they saw the same man, that is, if they know about what you saw?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
If this spirit is not attached to the 'land' then perhaps an object your grandparents bought around the time of your 'first sighting'. You may want to check the history of some of the objects your grandparents purchased when you were 13.

Other than an 'evil grin' you describe does 'he' give off a 'bad vibe' or feel evil? I do not feel like 'he' is... But he knows he has past on AND he seems to enjoy manifesting in full form... Can you recall the weather conditions each time he's been seen? Or is there something in the home or nearby that may generate a LARGE amount of Electromagnetic Energy?

Thanks for sharing... Keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
Opila (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
It is most likely a demon, like others have suggested get some sage and put it all around your house. If that fails go to a church and find a priest to bless your home, you could also try reading the holy bible to yourself before you go to bed.

Wishes to you,
-Opila
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
Sage works good, and making sure that any good/positive energies/entities are not affected is great advise... You may want to try a method I have posted on my profile... OR you may want to do some research and find a method or a clergy member of your chosen faith. It's up to you... Please keep us updated.

Hanks for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
Anonymous_Angel (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
It takes a lot of energy to be that visible to the human eye. I would "cleanse" your house of negative energy and you can do this easily. Get white sage and break some up into a "fire safe" bowl. Light it like an incense so it produces smoke. Walk along the walls and make sure to wave the smoke into the corners of your home thinking in your mind for the negative energy in the home to be gone. Do this through the entire home until the sage stops smoking.
Only ask for the negative energy to leave because we don't want passed loved ones and your guides to feel like you are pushing them away from you because they also protect you. Hopefully this helps you!
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
Perhaps its not the house that this spirit is attached too but the land, or a previous building on the and if there was one.

And maybe he has either decided to only show himself to you and your friend, or you are both sensitive enough to see him when others were not. Does your girlfriend hear footsteps and bangs etc.?
hareracing35 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
Hey guys other than my friend and my girlfriend no-one has heard the noises not even my grandparents the entire time they lived there. They are also the the ones who built the home in the mid 70's. But there is a very old cemetery about the quarters of a mile up the road could that have anything to do with what's going on in the home?
mrfknbee (39 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
I would try and find a way to get rid of him mainly for peace of mind knowing you can both relax without been disturbed. Maybe next time you see you him you should just turn your back and not acknowledge him.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
How old is the house? Could this man be a former resident? It doesn't seem like he was particularly sinister until the renovation started. Sometimes renovating a house can rile up ghosts that had been quiet before. If he's a previous owner, he may not like the changes. It's none of his business what you do with the house, but he may not look at it that way.
Some entities back off if you tell them firmly to. Try laying down a few ground rules for his behavior, he may decide to get along instead of be a pest.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
Hi hareracing35, welcome to YGS.

Do you know if your grandparents, or anyone else other than you friend has heard these footsteps or seen this man? I find it odd that he keeps gesturing 'shhh' to you, and also find it odd that the only time he didn't he was smiling just before you fell and potentially hurt yourself, could this just be coincidence?

Do you remember what clothes he had on? Perhaps this could help you date him and this in turn could help you do some research into who this could be? Maybe a former gamekeeper or caretaker?

Thanks for posting, and please keep us updated😊
Cloudzuc (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
Hi there, I also feel you don't really have much to worry about but I can only imagine how you must feel not knowing what's around the corner in your own home. I wonder if your grandparents ever saw him? Something I was wondering about... He seems happy to make himself "known" to you. My original thought was maybe he was somehow attached to you because you were the only one who saw him. But then your friend saw him too...hmm...maybe just a wandering spirit? 😊
TeenyTiny (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
Kaitlyn has a point, he could be harmless. Perhaps this spirit knows you... He could be a deceased family member just saying "hi". He could also be a random spirit who has taken a liking to you and checks in from time to time.
With that being said, his appearances are not welcome and it is your right to tell him to leave. The next time he "shows up" tell him firmly but also kindly that you acknowledge his presence but now he needs to leave you alone for good. If you have a faith or was raised in a certain religious background then perhaps have a prayer ready in case things take a bad turn. I hope it doesn't. It probably won't. It helps to get a bit annoyed with the spirit because it may be able to sense your seriousness. Even if you feel fear just accept your fear but also remember you are fed up with his unwanted visits.
Stalker spirit needs to back off so you let him know that in no uncertain terms. Lol sorry for the sass... Had to lighten the mood a bit.
KaitlynAW (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-30)
You shouldn't worry about him. If he had the chance to harm you he would have taken it. He is probably just another lost soul, wanting a friend to talk to. I see entities very often and none have ever harmed me. If he follows you it's a sign he is somewhat friendly, he probably doesn't want you to be intentionally scared of him. If you see him again don't be afraid and try speaking to him. Ask him a few things. Just be careful with what you say. Entities are very powerful when angry.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: