You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Duplex Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

The Duplex Ghosts

 

To begin, I live in a city where paranormal activity seems to happen a lot... Or maybe it's just the hype of teenagers looking for a good scare. I grew up between two homes, one in my home town and one a town over. For as long as I can remember, I felt weird staying with my Mother in the town over. In her younger years, she was really into anything paranormal. She had friends that practically studied that stuff. I thought it was weird.

When I was ten and she had divorced her husband, my Mother moved into a duplex. By then I had two sisters, Jaycee and Darcy. They were both around the age of six. I stayed in a room with them both, but only shared a bed with Darcy. Jaycee slept by herself on the floor most of the time.

I only stayed at my Mother's house on Friday nights. I remember one in particular. It was about a year after we had moved into the house. I still felt strange and unwelcome there. My sisters and I were in the living room which was connected to a long hall that eventually ended with the kitchen. We were watching Finding Nemo and eating popcorn. My Mother was asleep in her bedroom which was near the kitchen. Her door was shut so she couldn't hear us making noises in the living room. Around the middle of the movie, I started to become tired. I checked the clock and it read somewhere between 1 and 2, a normal time for us all to be up. I asked my sisters if they were tired in which they replied with a yes. We gathered up all the covers and turned the tv on and made our way to the room. I actually stopped halfway and did a double take towards my Mother's door. "Darcy," I stopped her. "Wasn't Mother's door shut just a while ago?" "Yes," she replied. "But she may have gotten up while we were cleaning up the living room."

Naturally, I was scared for my Mother and I was hoping that she was okay. I made my way into the room and laid down beside Darcy. Jaycee made her usual pallet on the floor and they were asleep in no time.

I, for one, was not.

I was kept awake by the rain outside. It was heavy and almost rhythmic. I turned over to face the window, and at that moment my heart literally stopped. I was staring at the shadows of men after men all making their way back to the backyard it seemed. They were all the same height and wore circular hats. The rain sound started to make sense as it sounded like marching. I did not feel too scared or alarmed, but more at peace than anything. Quickly, I feel asleep.

The next morning I recalled the events of that night and came to the conclusions that the rain had gotten to me and made me see things that weren't really there. I was quick to run outside and play in the mud puddles. I got my boots on and opened the door and... The ground was completely dry. The rain couldn't of possibly dried that quickly! I didn't hesitate, and I ran in to tell my Mother. "Dani, some things have been happening I cannot explain. Please don't tell your sisters. They would not understand. The neighbors are coming over tonight."

The next weekend my Mother showed me some pictures. One was of a face on the wall in our bedroom. I don't know how to explain it, but it was there. The second was of a silhouette. It looked like a woman standing behind my Mother's open door. "She's only here to protect your mother," the neighbor said. "And the man in the wall is doing the same. The men you saw outside were just your imagination."

I'm almost seventeen now, and the thought of that week still scares me. I refuse to believe it was my imagination. Upon spending many months researching that house, I've come to find out that the part of the city we lived in was used as a camp in the Union War. I still can not explain the now lost pictures, but the images are still lodged in my mind.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DanixxLove, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DanixxLove (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
I drive by the house sometimes. One thing I forgot to mention in the story was that when my mother went to get the keys from the previous owner, he was hunched over dead on the porch. It seems unreal, I know. It just adds to the creepy... I hope to visit soon. I'm not sure who the new owners are, but I would love to talk with them and ask if they have had any similar experiences. As for the residual haunting, that seems very interesting. I have never heard of that.
Bio_Logic (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
Alright, sorry I didn't mean to steal away the subject. Thank you for the suggestions, will enlist Mr. Google help shortly.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
Bio_Logic, if you read the previous comments you will find a description of residual haunts. You may also want to click the glossary link at the top of the page. Google is another option. This particular page is to give the author of this story advice, so let's keep on topic from here out, k?
Bio_Logic (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
Umm what is residual anyway? I am new so I don't get used to the term yet? Someone explains pls, thank you.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-09)
Would this possibly have been around the Chic Battlefield? I've heard countless stories exactly like this and even expierienced one or two while driving through the battlefield parkway. Very interesting story. Thankyou for sharing it.
Gossamer_Lights (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-06)
Did they ever give you a reason why everything else was this or that but your experience wasn't real? Seems silly if they believed the other stuff for them to write you off.
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
Very interesting and very scary. I would say you witnessed a replay when conditions were right. I have a similar event that occurs very very occasionally near my house.
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
That is very interesting... Have you been back over since that experience?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
The rain/marching sounds, to me, like a residual haunt. Makes sense as the land was a camp, there would've been soldiers marching there. Residual haunts are a sort of impression, like a recording on the environment. A repetitive event, or emotionally charged event, can leave a portion of its energy behind. That recording replays, showing the past events. Sometimes they replay on a certain date, or when environmental factors are similar to the original event, and sometimes the replay is completely random.
I know you probably didn't feel too lucky to see it, but I'm kind of jealous. I find residual haunts particularly interesting, and that one sounds like a doozy. Thanks for sharing.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
DanixxLove - I just want to comment on the rain you heard, that wasn't there. My kids and I experience that same thing all the time. It's frustrating to say the least. To know, without any doubt, that you hear rain, sometimes really hard rain, and expect to get up and see evidence of it. But there is nothing. Absolutely nothing. And there is no sound that could be mistaken like that of pouring rain.

Just wanted to let you know that I do believe you heard exactly what you thought you heard. I've experienced it too many times myself to doubt you. Thanks for sharing your story 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: