You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: They Don't Like Vacuuming

Real Ghost Stories

They Don't Like Vacuuming

 

Greetings YGS members and guest. This is my first time to post, however I have been reading stories and comments for years. This first story is of my first personal experience with the paranormal and life has been an adventure ever since.

In the beginning I was both curious and skeptic. I would try to rationalize anything I heard about. That was until I had my own encounter. As a young adult I was a carpenter for a couple of decades until what was keeping me young started making me old. I left that type of work and went back to college and got my degree. During that time I was taking fulltime classes and working a couple part-time jobs to keep our family afloat. I was married and had two beautiful daughters. One of my jobs was a custodian for a local church. It worked out because of the flexibility to work around my classes. I cleaned the "old" building that was built in the early 1900's. It is a two story building along with a full basement.

Quick lay out of the second floor is a basic backwards "L". The longest part was about 100ft and the short being 45ft with multiple rooms on both sides.

Vacuuming was one of the main duties I performed. The vacuum was an industrial model that came equipped with an extra long cord that allowed me to do multiple rooms while using an outlet in the hallway. On the first occasion I had vacuumed several rooms, part of the hall and was headed in a smaller room. I entered, pulling the cord with me as it slid against the door frame opposite of the door. I took several steps in doing my work and realized the room had not been used since my last time there. I turned the vacuum cleaner around to find the door closed behind me. I was in the room only for a few seconds for the door to close behind me. I checked and double checked if anything natural could case it to close with no results.

Several weeks later on the same floor but a little further down the hall I entered a larger room carrying the coil of cord with me because I would need the extra length. I dropped the coil of cord and as I took one step ALL the cord was pulled sharply into the hallway to where it was plugged up at. I quickly went to the door and looked toward the direction of the outlet and nobody was there. Mind you I was the only one in the locked building. I searched all the rooms but no one was there. I gathered the cord back up and went on to do the room only for it to happen again (I'm getting goose bumps remembering this). After giving it some time I was able to calm down enough to continue my day's work without any other disturbances.

A few weeks later I was on the short part of the hallway headed toward the corner "vacuuming" when all of sudden a filter on the front of the vacuum cleaner just flipped out and up in the air landing several feet in front of me. I kind of tilted my head to the side trying to figure out what had just happened. I walked up to where it landed (GOOSE BUMPS!) and as I reached down I was able to see down the long part of the hallway. As I glanced down the hall I could see a large BLACK mass floating in the hall only 10 feet from me. It didn't have any constructive shape and I could not see anything through it. It wasn't a shadow on the wall but right in the middle of the hallway (HUGE GOOSE BUMPS!) Just as soon as I realized it was there it shot straight at me lighting fast and I guess one would say went right through me. I screamed like a little girl as I jumped backwards and bounced off the corner wall behind me. I was left sitting on the floor huffing and buffing scared out of my wits looking in every direction trying to figure out what had just happened. SIGH, I was unable to continue working that evening and went home shaken up. I was able to go back the next day to finish and work until I finished up school with out anything else happening...there.

Ever since that last incident (8 years ago) I have become a magnet for the paranormal. Anywhere and at anytime with no rhyme or reason. Some less than others, some more than I can stand. I will be adding other stories soon. Some will be kind of cool things while others absolutely scared the poop out of me. Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by Wish-Not

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wish-Not, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-03)
I really enjoyed your story! I will be looking for your other stories! My husband and I used to clean medical buildings at night for a couple of years and had some odd things happen. Let's face it, buildings are just plain creepy when both empty and at night!

Thanks again for sharing!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Kimmie- Thanks for taking time to read this story. I can tell you that my face had a look of disbelieve and "TOTAL FREAKED OUT" Ha. It was crazy, see there's that word again.
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
I have to admit I giggled a little at the thought of what the expression on your face must have looked like as you ended up on the floor. That would be absolutely terrifying to me. Great story and thanks for sharing!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-16)
Giff84- Ha, glad I didn't get slimmed! It was a trip! I didn't feel anything as it pasted through. My hair didn't flow back like there was a gust of wind. It was so big that there was no where around getting past me without going through. But I only had these three times and worked there for almost two years. It had time. I'm thinking there were times it just didn't want the noise. Sigh, but it did OPEN my eyes. Have another story waiting to be posted. Opening to a new chapter how things are now. Really appreciate your input!
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-16)
Hi Wish-Not, I really enjoyed reading about your experience. It strikes me that whatever this 'entity' was, it tried for your attention a few times before going all Slimmer from Ghostbusters on you! Do you think it could be wanting you to stop vacuuming as its very noisy, and a church is meant to be a peaceful and quiet area? Just an idea.

Thanks for sharing 😊
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-15)
Thanks notjustme- I guess it could have been a little bit of excitement of actually knowing that "they" exist. And I was really experiencing these things. I would be on SERIOUS guard for weeks following each event but eventually lower it only for it to happen again. Pretty much how life is now. Will go for awhile without anything and then BAM! LOL
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-15)
Wish-not - holy you are a brave person! I would have quit there and then and never looked back. I know you had a family to support but geez I would have ran ran RAN! Lol... Kudos to you for finishing your job and not shatting your pants. I seriously would have probably fainted. I could imagine the whole thing while reading it. Good share!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-15)
Thanks for the comments!

Lady-glow,the church has always been a church. I found out later that I replaced someone that would not come back to do the job because of things that had happened to her. I did share what happened with others and learned of other "things". No one had seen the black mass that I know of. I'm so glad it wasn't a constant thing. I was on my guard after each event but seems "they" waited until I let it down to play with me.

Mimerkki, I kind of think the same thing. At first I thought I had something "attached" with all the things that has happened since. That is how and why I discovered YGS. I was searching for answers for what was happening to me. I really appreciate this site and glad it has helped. I still have those moments when I'm caught off guard and FREAK out. Mostly it's because of the SURPRISE factor. I do have those bad visits but not that much anymore. Will be posting THE BIG ONE soon that had this grown 190lb man terrified and crying. Bad experience!
mimerkki (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-15)
Hi,

I also laughed when reading this, sorry and thank you for writing. My romantic mind likes to think, that you were opened to the paranormal by this experience and that even dark creatures are bound to "doing good" in spite of them trying otherwise. This often comes to my mind when reading Ouija stories, when people are properly scared away from using them.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
Wish-not: thanks for sharing this interesting experience with us; though I have to admit I was laughing while imagining your misfortune... Sorry 😳

Do you know if the building has been used like a church since it was built or if it has served some other purposes?
I imagine many of the events taking place in the building over the years have left an imprint within its walls, and who knows what else.
Did you ever share this experience with someone else working in the church? -It would be interesting to know if somebody else has seen this black mass roaming the hallways of the church and to try to find out who "it" was why it is still around.

I really enjoyed reading your story and am looking forwards to read more of your experiences.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
I have had the filter/bag on a vacuum blow out before. It scared the pants off me- however, this will happen when the filter/bag is too full.

Perhaps, if there is a paranormal element to this, the noise just bothers them/it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: