You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Restless Grandmother

Real Ghost Stories

Restless Grandmother

 

This story takes place when I was approximately 11 years old (around 1986). I don't have that many paranormal experiences and many of those I have are a bit vague, more like feelings and such, but this one is a bit more difficult to explain away. When the story took place I lived in middle Finland with my parents in a one story house we owned.

When I was 11, my grandmother died. She had lived her last years with me and my parents because of her dementia, but died at the ICU after a few months of hospitalization. I don't remember the exact time when this happened, but sometime after her death and before her funeral I had a strange experience. I was sleeping in a room where my grandmother had slept and in a same bed she had used (house was small, and I was moved out from my parents room ASAP and into the only other bedroom available). One night when I was dozing in my bed, I suddenly heard the toilet flush. Then I heard the toilet door bang softly against the doorframe and footsteps, that sounded just like granny's, move from the toilet, through the hall and right to my room! I was paralyzed with fear. I was sleeping in her bed and afraid she would come straight to me. If I remember correctly, I kept my eyes closed and prayed long into the night. I didn't have courage to run to my parent's room, because I was afraid I would have to go through her. I didn't tell my experience to anyone for a long time.

After I was older, probably closer to 15, I told my experience to my mother (again, I don't remember why, probably I wasn't afraid of it anymore) and what she told me really shocked me. Her reaction to my story was like "oh, you heard it too?" Like I told you before, our house wasn't big and my parent's bedroom was actually closest to the bathroom, so the footsteps had headed right past their door to the room I slept in. At the time, I asked my mother to tell her version of that night and pray tell, it didn't much flatter their courage.

My parents had both been awake at the time. They had heard the same things I did, glanced at each other, and hid under the covers. What has always interested me is, that the family dog (that slept in their bed) had lifted its head, listened and went back to sleep (at least this is how my mother described it). The dog was quite territorial, spicy fox terrier used in cave hunting, and it did not welcome visitors quietly. I asked my mother why they had not rushed to my rescue and, to my opinion, she gave a flimsy excuse. They had thought I was asleep, and hadn't wanted to wake me. So much for parental courage.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mimerkki, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mimerkki (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-13)
Hi, everybody.

I didn't know where else to write my goodbyes, so I decided to write them here. I feel like I must withdraw from the site at the moment, first reason being, that I feel myself too vulnerable at the moment. I feel too engrossed in other peoples problems. Secondly I feel too drawn in to the exitement I get from spooky stories, and I don't think it makes me any good at the moment:) I am not sure if the third reason makes sense at all, but to me it does: I feel that some of my spiritual growth may be a bit hindered if I visit the site too often. I am not sure about this, but we'll see. Anyway, I wish you guys all the best, and my love and prayers shall follow you.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-15)
Understandably, if I had watched and heard something like that, I would be quite scared as well.

I like your point on how the ghost of your grandma should have known she would scare you.

Best wishes <3
mimerkki (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-15)
Elnoraemily: I was so terrified at the time, that I didn't even think of communicating. I was pretty sure, it was my grandmother. I could not understand why she would frighten me so and why she did not go "to the light" straight away. Before her funeral there were a few unexplainable things happening during day time also. Once a soundly locked outdoor opened when I was home alone (it was not possible to open that door from the outside) and once there was a sudden wind around me inside the house at the time I was phoning to my friend and telling her that we had a possible ghost at home. I did't want to be there alone anymore. I was a terrified child and in my opinion, adults, even ghosts, should have kept that in mind.

Lady-glow: I was even frightened of the thought that she did not know what was happening or was confused in a way a child may fear adult's that act strange.

I also saw a few nightmares of her, which I can still remember. In one of them she was lying there dead, and when I walked past her, she grabbed my ankle and bit me. In a second nightmare granny was raised by a sorceress. I was so terrified of my granny, that I tried to crawl to the feet of the mage in my dream in order to escape her.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
mimerkki: this is such an interesting experience!
It is possible that your grandmother's spirit, once free from her body, went home for the last time and was only following her nightly routine neither knowing nor intending to frighten her family; as for your dog not reacting on any way towards her, well, I would say it was the only one that said "oh, hi grandma, nice to see you again!"😉

Though your parents wouldn't get a medal for their bravery, at least you got some validation about your grandmother visiting her family, probably just to say goodbye.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
Did you consider it being your grandmother at the time? Would that not have been a good time to communicate with her?
Was it just the feeling given off by whatever you all were experiencing that kept any communication from happening?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: