You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Creepy Squeaking Sound

Real Ghost Stories

Creepy Squeaking Sound

 

I am 25 years old and I live in Grand Chute, WI. My family has a long and stories history with things that go bump in the night. Long-time readers of this blog will remember me from previous posts.

This story just occurred the previous night, in my home. At around 1:30 am I was in my sitting room, sharing a Skype conversation with a long time internet associate. This being the summer I had left my window open. Suddenly, I heard a series of high pitched, squeaking sounds, like those of a duck, albeit twisted and painful, from right outside my sitting room in my front yard. I felt as if I was being taunted, and the unexpected noise was quite unnerving. They ended as abruptly as they had begun, and the environment immediately resumed its' silence.

In the pursuit of mundane explanations, I have narrowed it down to two:

1) Teenagers from across the street taunting me with a toy, perhaps a rubber ducky or a noisemaker. I live across the street from a widow with two adolescents, both of whom with large social circles, so there's a regular stream of activity at their house.

2) My neighbour's cat on one of his nocturnal hunts, the squeaks I'd heard been his prey's death cries.

Both explanations have the same faults. If it was the work of rowdy teenagers, I would have heard muffled laughter, footsteps, and snickered statements (i.e. "This will freak him out!"). If it was the work of animals, I would have also heard foot (paw) steps, growls, and sounds of physical struggle. Alas, the area was completely, almost, eerily, silent save for that series of deranged shrieks.

If anyone has the time, and the interest, I would like to hear some commentary.

Other hauntings by Illuminati322

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Illuminati322, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Illuminati322 (7 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-20)
It sounded tortured and tormented, like it was feigning misery to mock me.
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-20)
Oh I know, I was just relating all the crazy noises animals can make. But a rubbery squeak... That has me puzzled. As I said, animals can make some weird noises so there's still that possibility... But a squeaky toy sound is not anything i've ever heard, and i've had rats, mice, and guinea pigs as pets. I'm stumped!
Illuminati322 (7 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-19)
MandyyNicole,

That's the thing. It didn't sound like a dying woman, it sounded like a rubbery squeak. It didn't sound like it was coming from organic vocal cords, it sounded like an inorganic, synthetic sound.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-19)
Mice or rats, I would guess, that sadly became something's dinner.
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-19)
It could very well be that you heard an animal. I've heard a rabbit shriek like a dying woman, very unsettling. You wouldn't necessarily need to hear the paw-steps scampering off for it to be a cat killing it's prey either. Cats are quite stealthy little creatures. I think that explanation is most likely. Have you ever heard that noise before? Keep us updated if it happens again!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: