You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Baby Crying? Or Was It Her?

Real Ghost Stories

Baby Crying? Or Was It Her?

 

This is my first story. I am not much of a writer though, but very excited to write down my first experience.

So, I live in Mumbai and I had this experience near my balcony. I stay in a society which is like 60 years old. I stay on the first floor and I am the only one who sleeps in the balcony. The window of my balcony is very wide and this place being very old... Is filled with huge trees which darkens the place more at night and it looks all creepy.

I would also like to mention that there is a huge cemetery opposite to my balcony (its more than 200 years old and its so near that I can even see the walls of the cemetery through my window)

I now start my experience which I had some months back... But first, I ought to tell you all a small story about a gate which is just under my balcony (this can later help you all to relate this story to my experience)

We shifted here in 2000, our neighbor visited us once and she just told us a small story about this gate. She told us that they shifted in this building in 1990 and one night she was waiting for her husband to come from office. At around 12:30 am she saw him coming and entering the building through the gate, so she opened the door of her house and was standing near it to welcome him.

As he passed the gate and was entering the building, he heard a baby crying. He ignored and was walking upstairs. He then reached the passage of his floor and he again heard that baby crying. He wondered how could a baby cry near the gate all of sudden when he neither saw a baby nor anyone else when he entered. He decided to go down again but his wife pulled him in saying its too late and he shouldn't worry. As soon as she pulled him in the sound of the baby's cry transformed into a wicked laugh of a lady (according to my neighbor the laugh was very loud and a human can never laugh so loudly). They both got terrified and my neighbor's husband suffered from fever for over week. Later, his friend told him that there's a woman ghost who roams on this road (this road is between my balcony and the cemetery) and cries like a baby, and the one who comes near the gate to check, she kills the person and that person's body is never to be found again.

Now I start my experience

It was March 2014 and my tests were going on and I had to study so I decided to get up at 4:30 am and I set the alarm and slept. (My bed is adjacent to the balcony's window). The alarm rang and I stopped it and was just lying on the bed for a while and that's when I heard a baby crying. I don't know why but I just didn't get up to find out what was wrong, or something in me stopped me from getting up. That sound came again which was for the 2nd time. I could easily navigate that the sound was coming from the gate under my balcony, but I didn't get up. When the sound came for the 3rd time I got very scared and started chanting god's name (any noise heard thrice is a sign of evil). I later gathered courage and started studying and forgot about the incident for a while.

I suddenly recollected the story told to us by our neighbor and I decided to get up the next day at 4:30 am again and to check what was going on. As decided, the alarm rang and I was waiting for that noise again. But this time it didn't. I waited until 4:40 but no noise was heard by me. I thought that it might be my imagination and I decided to sleep again. I couldn't sleep and was just thinking about last night's incident and all of a sudden the alarm rang again. It was 4:50, and that's when I got very scared because I clearly remember that I had stopped the alarm earlier and it also wasn't on snooze (I never put my alarm on snooze). How could the alarm ring on its own? This question still troubles me. Is that woman still there? After almost 20 years?

I would also like to mention that there is a Hindu crematorium at a distance of approx. 2 kms from my locality, and the road which is between my balcony and the cemetery is the only way through which a dead body could be taken to the crematorium.

Thank you for reading my story and sorry if I messed it up a bit

All views are welcomed.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, harsha95, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-30)
Someonesomewhere, it would probably be best to contact the site admin about this. There's a link at the top of the page that says "contact." In the meantime, please don't spam.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-29)
Thanks for the correction, Chin2Raval.
Harsha, thanks. I know Sewree, but never visited there. I have myself stayed in Mumbai for 25 years of my life since birth:)
harsha95 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-28)
Hello tanscaredofghosts... Well your name is quite long...:P
Thank you for reading my story... I still don't know whether that woman still comes near the gate...
tanscaredofghosts (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-28)
Hi harsha,
Your story was really scary! You gave nice explanation don't worry you din't messed up!:D anyways, I think that lady ghost may be still there, just keep faith in almigthy!
harsha95 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-27)
Hello tina... Thankyou for reading my story...:)
I actually don't know the history of this place or this gate... There are chances that the lady must have been through something worse... As you know there is a cemetery opposite my balcony... There are also chances that she just roams here like other souls do... And please do read my 2nd story regarding this cemetery and another lady too...
TinAA (1 stories) (84 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-27)
Hello Harsha... Firstly let me tell you that this is a very nice story and a different experience. It seemed to me like any 'urban legend'...great story...! Well expressed...:-)
About that weird noise... I guess something wrong might have happened with that so called ghost lady when alive right at the gate from where the sound is being heard. Why don't you sprinkle some holy water around your area for your safety. It would help you a lot to get rid of those noises and their existence.
harsha95 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-27)
[at] sheetal... Thankyou for liking my story and believing it...
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-27)
Hi, Harsha... Really a spooky story... I liked it and I truly believe in your story. It's good that you didn't experienced that voice again. Thanks for sharing. 😁
harsha95 (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
[at] chin2raval... I did not experience anything after that day... I do get up early to study because my exams are going on... But definitely not at 4:30...hehe...anyways I will try changing the position of my bed...:) thankyou for the concern
My wishes to you...!
Chin2Raval (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
Thank You Harsha and allesgute. Let me clear one thing to allesgute that calling thrice was not mine point it was by harsha. So all credit goes to harsha. And yes harsha I appreciate your bravery and curiousity about paranormal stuff but please I still request you to change your bad position. See its not about fear but for safety. And if you want to explore more then visit any paranormal experts. Thanks again to tell about the area. Thank you and God bless!
harsha95 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
the name of the place is sewree... South mumbai... U can also search on google about the sewree cemetery
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
Harsha, still waiting to hear from you about which area of Mumbai this locality is in...
harsha95 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
allesgute154 and chin2raval, I still have my bed there... I haven't shifted it... I personally like this paranormal stuff... And anyways my parents don't agree to such things... My dad keeps saying"tuzya manat yeta he sagla" i.e my mind is playing tricks on me.
[at] chin2raval... Noise heard thrice... Someone calling your name thrice at night when you are alone... Are signs of evil... So beware
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-26)
Chin2Raval, you have made an interesting point. I did not know that the cry happening thrice could be a sign of evil. And yes, Harsha, for your own well being, you should avoid sleeping in the balcony. Like they say in Marathi, 'Vishachi pariksha kashala karavi?' Meaning, why to test (or taste; both apply) poison? It's going to kill anyway, isn't it? Stay safe, god bless.
Chin2Raval (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
Hi Harsha! Welcome to YGS. It was a great story. I loved it. First of all Thank you so much to tell that When noise comes thrice, its an evil noise. See, there is a cemetery near your house, neighbour's experiance and your Alaram point, Whatever it is no matter it comes after 20 years as you mentioned. They comes back. They find lonely people to attack. Your neighbour's husband was lonely at that night and you in are also alone in your room. So please change the place to sleep. Shift your bad somewhere else. Its for your security. And if possible perform some ritual for positive energy. Thank You and God Bless You!
Chin2Raval (1 stories) (23 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
Hi Harsha! Welcome to YGS. It was a great story. I loved it. First of all Thank you so much to tell that When noise comes thrice, its an evil noise. See, there is a cemetery near your house, neighbour's experiance and your Alaram point, Whatever it is no matter it comes after 20 years as you mentioned. They comes back. They find lonely people to attack. So please change the place to sleep. Shift your bad somewhere else. Its for your security. And if possible perform some ritual for positive energy. Thank You and God Bless You!
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
Harsha, is it possible for you to specify the area in Mumbai? I'm curious to know where this haunting takes place since I'm myself from Mumbai.
harsha95 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
allesgute154,there are possibilities of cats making such noises... I myself have heard it many a times... But there is obviously a difference between a baby crying and a cat making such noise. Since the gate was right under my balcony... I could clearly hear it... And I am quite sure it was the sound of a baby... Anyways thank you for reading my post:)
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
Hi Harsha, that's a really spine-chilling story. I'm also from Mumbai and I understand your concerns. Even though Mumbai is a super crowded and busy city, hauntings do happen there. However, I must point out that cats do have a tendency to make sounds like babies crying. That said, I'm not saying your account is not credible. Like they say, only the wearer knows where the shoe bites. I would, however, advise you to be careful. Maybe get some puja done in the house to ward off evil spirits.
harsha95 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-25)
Thankyou so much khili180... I'm glad you could actually understand my story... Because after posting it... I actually thought that I have messed everything up 😠,and about that alarm thing... After this incident, it never ever rang on its own after I stopped it. In fact, i have my semesters going on right now... And I get up every morning... But thankfully there's no noise. Let me tell you that the woman is not the only one who wanders near our locality... People staying here have had many experiences... And surely this road is haunted... Because of that hindu crematorium 😨
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
Hey harsha:) congratulations on your first submission! Firstly let me tell you, you've written the story really well... Like elnora said- it was easy to read and very well written:) About the baby crying, I agree with you- it's unheard of for any local aamchi Mumbai animals that make such sounds. So I believe you when you say it was a baby's sound. About the sound changing into a lady's laugh- well that's creepy! Like I would actually get freaked out big time! But I do think it's a little difficult to digest. I'm sure your neighbour didn't lie or anything but maybe a crying baby becoming an evil lady who kills people is far fetched. Though not totally ignoring the possibility. If it's true then definitely this is extremely creepy. And yes the alarm story is a mystery too... Did it happen again after that day? Your alarm ringing even after you switched it off?
harsha95 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
I just have an option of stopping the alarm (because I have made such settings as I never use the snooze options. Also I have been living here since 14 years and never heard of any animal who can make sounds of a crying baby... Anyways thankyou for your comment. 😁
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-24)
There are several different animals that can sound like crying/screaming. I wonder if this is what was heard that night. It could be something as simple as a local animal- I don't know much about Indian animal life, so I'll research some more before I throw out animal names that do not regionally apply. The killing part of the ghost story sounds more like local myth than reality (in my city, there is a ghost that is supposed to have the power to kill people in an old building outside of town, but everyone who goes in there comes out just fine, even if unsettled by how weird the building is).

Is it possible you hit the wrong button on the alarm because you were tired, perhaps? Still, quite a creepy experience.

Interesting story and I found it to be very well written and easy to read. Thank you for sharing!

Best wishes to you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: