You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Murder for Breakfast

Real Ghost Stories

Murder for Breakfast

 

My families have had bad ghost experiences over the years. My mother and aunt lifted their friend off the ground with the "Light as a feather, Stiff as a board" technique, my great aunt wore a nightgown of a family member and was haunted for it, and others. But the one I am going to tell you is so scary, it's famous. Are you ready for the ultimate scare?

My grandma and her family (sister, mom, dad) moved into a house that was said to be haunted. Well, my grandma's dad didn't believe in ghosts, and bought the house anyways. The first few nights were totally normal. But it was about a week before people started to make themselves known.

While playing in the living room one evening, my grandmother and sister were patiently waiting for dinner, not paying any attention. When I believe the front door opened, and they heard heavy, loud footsteps. No one was there. Through the living room, in and out of the kitchen, and out the door again.

Everyone freaked, but moved on. The next happening was another night. They heard heavy feet coming up the cellar stairs, thinking it was my great grandfather. The door opened, and no one was there! So they began to worry, but the only person not skeptical was my great grandpa. So one night, they heard a man moaning and walking the halls. This went on for 2 nights, when finally my great grandpa exclaimed, "If you're comin' with me, you better get your clothes on!" and they all left. No one ever stayed in the house again, but you can still see the basement where the man was buried.

Here's the story of the house: A man, woman and their daughter all lived in a house. The man would get drunk and come home and abuse his wife. The daughter got tired of it one day. So while the man was eating breakfast, the daughter hacked him in the back of his head with an axe. He fell out of his chair, though still alive! He tried to grab her, but she hacked him dead. She put him in the closet, then the basement. Years later she confessed but was not jailed.

Now, obviously the house is haunted. But one time my grandma took me to see it. We went down, and where his workbench was, a little padlock moved! I ran up the hill and jumped in the car as fast as I could, and we left. But come this Halloween, I vow to visit it once again.

Other hauntings by Abercrombie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Abercrombie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Alexjsgirl (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-27)
I live in the wentworth area. Can you tell me where this house in located? I have never heard this story but it sounds very creepy!
xlulu432x (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-11)
My father, uncle, and grandmother, who died in the there lived in the house after the murder. My grandmother purchased the house because it was cheap and then they renovated it. All of them experienced activity while they were there, including my mother when she would go visit my father. My grandmother died of brain aneurysm in her bedroom in the house. I think in 1984.
Abercrombie (2 stories) (45 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
Wow everyone! It's been such a long time since I've been on here. I'm hoping everyone is still active...Anyways, I was unable to return that Halloween, but I went about two weeks ago. Someone is living there, but I trespassed to the backyard. Shh! (: Anyways, The whole basement is cleared out and not on public display anymore. Tarheelgirl, that's exactly who it was! It's so interesting to know Phil Link was a friend of your father...I wonder if there's any way I can get a copy of the articles?
babygirlacm (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-20)
sounds scary I wonder if it was a true story that happened long ago. God bless!
tarheelgirl (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Abercrombie, We have to talk! This has got to be the house in Reidsville, NC. My father's friend wrote the book, Phil Link. It is a true story. My father has the original newspaper article and the court documents from 1927 that I have read. Just the other day, I was going through some of his old stuff! How bizarre.
If you haven't read the book you should. If you want any more details let me know. Who are your relatives, I am from there you can send a private e-mail if you don't want to post. I would be interested to hear of your findings if you go into the house.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-17)
I do not think I have heard this tale either, unless of course it is famous around the area you are from. I noticed that you said that you were going to revisit it again on Halloween. I was wondering if you were able to do that and if anything had happened?
Thank you.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
Dear Abercrombie and Shane,

I would also like to be a part of that same investigation as well. Alas, we must settle for haunts and investigations closer to our own backyards. It has been a great many years since I have been in NC. In my younger years, it was all about a boy and not ghosts. Things have not changed that much for the girls or ladies of today either. ;)

Maybe I'll pick up the book and if the mood strikes me I'll write the author, Mr. Link for anymore details, providing he too, is still alive. ;)

Autumnal Joy, December is but around the corner, Blessings, Abby ❤
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
Dearest Abby, I am in total agreement. I have to admit I had not heard of the case before Abercrombie's Story. It is an interesting history to a home that is claimed to be haunted. Would love the opportunity to do an investigation on that one. Oh well, I guess I will have to settle for some of the places around my home once I return there in December. Lots of love.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
Dear Abercrombie and Shane,

This is a most interesting story with much informative information on the history in the book by author and neighbor, Phil Link who lived two doors down from the Petty’s during the time of the murder, and saw the body the day it was found in the basement of the Petty's home.

Alma died in 2001 at the age of 95.

What a story! --Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
For those looking for a link to this story. The murder was committed by a young lady in the late 20's by the name of Alma Petty Gatlin. You can read a little about it here www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,881008,00.html

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abercrombie (2 stories) (45 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
Yes everyone, I have forgotten the author's name, but my Grandmother has the book about it. The book is actually called, "Murder for Breakfast". You can look it up on google I'm sure. And no, we do not have family currently living there. Shane, I will take my digital camera this Halloween, and take a few pics. I hope I see something. Thnks for your comments and I also made another story that should be here in a few days!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
Wow! That is truly a frightening tale.

Do you still have family living in the house? I would be very interested to know who lives in this house and if they are having experiences.

Apparently, the man that was killed and buried is still tied to the house.

God Bless!
melissagrove2000 (4 stories) (43 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
I agree with Abby. I do quite hope that this man's body was placed to rest somewhere other than than your family's basement! What a story. How very "LIZZY BORDEN"!
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
Dear Abercrombie,

Is the house still owned by your family members? I hope the man's body was dug up and put to rest elsewhere. Apparently, he decided to stay behind in ghost form and haunt his home and your family members.

This murder sounds like something that would have been reported in the news media. Have you researched it and would you know where we could find news of it on the net?

If you do go to investigate, and the house no longer belongs to your relatives, please do get permission first.

Please let us know about any further ghost hunting investigations, information and findings in regards to your ghost story here, and haunted house. --Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-10)
Abercrombie I have never heard this tell. I am assuming it is "famous" in the area from which you are from. If you do return to the site, make sure you take along a good camera, a voice recorder and external mic and spare batteries. See if you can capture anything on film or tape. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: