You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Murder Victim

Real Ghost Stories

The Murder Victim

 

In the early nineties there was a murder that occurred in the basement of the house across the road from my mother's house. The road that Mom lives on was very quiet and desolate at that time. For many years there were no neighbors for miles.

I remember my mother being happy that they were building a house near hers because we had problems with burglars. It was while the house was being built that the man was murdered because he owed some drug dealers a mere $15,000. The poor man was shot in the head at close range. He drove a red sports car. For three long days that summer when Mom and I would reach the top of our driveway in our car we would look across the road at the red car which sat with the driver's side door open. To this day my mother still does not know why she did not call the cops, but she says that she had a strong feeling that under no circumstances should she investigate herself. It was the contractor who finally found the man's body in the basement. The murdered person was a young guy in his early 20s. It took detectives no time to solve the case. The convicted murderers were a man and his mother (she was convicted as an accessory to murder) who lived over the hill and they had been using the property to make drug deals.

Some years later a very religious family from Oregon moved into the house. They were extremely stifling and judgmental toward me. Since I was a bit older (about 10 years-old at the time) they would have me over to babysit for some reason. I guess they were desperate since they had five kids. We would often play downstairs on our bicycles and tricycles. I remember seeing the huge blood stain on the concrete that, try as they might, the family couldn't remove.

One frigid and snowy winter's day we were all in the living room upstairs when we heard what sounded like struggling, muffled voices, and moaning downstairs. We all froze (four of us) and looked at each other in terror. The family's golden retriever was obviously listening to the sounds. The dog was standing up and her ears were alert. She was tilting her head from side to side. Since I was babysitting and I was the one in charge of everyone, I opened the basement door to hear better but could not make my legs move to carry me down the stairs to investigate. I heard nothing while the door was open. The family's golden retriever stood beside me. I told the dog to go downstairs to investigate but she just looked at me. I shut the door. There was an eerie silence in the house as we all huddled on the couch and waited to hear something more.

After a few minutes we heard the sound again and then I heard the sound of a man's voice pleading. That was all I could take. I shot out of the front door barefoot and I ran home through the snow as fast as my legs would carry me. The other kids and dog followed. There was just no way I could stay in there and listen to that tragic memory be replayed. They never asked me back to babysit (who could blame them?). It was many years before I ever set foot in that house again. The family moved back to Oregon.

After I was old enough to drive I would sometimes see the apparition of the man. It was usually only very late at night when I would see him. Usually I saw him as I was slowing down to turn into my driveway and my headlights would hit him. He wears blue jeans and a black hoodie. He walks with his hands in his pockets and he is looking down. He has long, stringy blonde hair that hangs down out of his hood. He doesn't scare me but I feel sad when I see him. I've gotten into the habit of averting my eyes so that I don't glimpse him. My best friend saw him several times as well before he committed suicide. In fact, the night my best friend committed suicide (completely unrelated I believe) he said that he had seen the sad young man walking.

Two other families have lived in the house since the Oregonians moved out. The second family from Florida was tragic. The woman and man made beautiful jewelry and had a store in historic downtown. They had a little jewelry shop in the basement. They were generous people and they taught me how to make jewelry in the basement. They said that sometimes they felt a sad energy in the house. The woman later had a nervous breakdown. Sadly the family lost their business and eventually they lost the house in an upside down mortgage. For some reason they completely trashed the house before they moved out. It sat empty for years.

Now a Puerto Rican family lives in there. They had heard rumors about the murder in the house and had felt some heavy energy--especially in the basement. Mom and I told them everything we knew. I told them there is nothing to be scared of, that the guilty people are in jail and that it's been over 20 years now. The family is superstitious and religious, but pragmatic. Their response is that they will fill the house with love and that is what they have done.

Other hauntings by SirenBelva

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SirenBelva, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
Thanks everyone for your kind responses and comments. 😁 Miracles, the Puerto Rican family has not mentioned anything about the house since they first inquired about its history. I know that they are deeply religious and, also superstitious. I would not be surprised if they performed some sort of cleansing ritual there. I am happy to report that there is a sort of warmth that emanates from there now. Valkricry, I'm pretty sure that the parents did shift blame onto me. There were terribly negative, oppressive people anyway. I don't think they would ever admit that something was in their house that they could not exert control over. I don't even know how much the kids knew about the guy's death. These were the sort of people that you weren't allowed to say the word "butt" around, much less "drugs". Elfstone, the dog was definitely trying to tell me something! 😉
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
Very awesome story. I agree with all of the above. And I can just picture the executive 10year old decision- all right we're out of here, and the dog!
Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
I love the idea the new family has about filling the house with love. Nothing has a stronger power over darkness than love. It had to be so scary for you as a child of ten. Impressions of evil acts can live on long after the event has happened
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
What a sad story, and very creepy! No one could blame you for being afraid. Even an adult would have been, let alone a ten year old!

I did have to laugh a little when you said you told the dog to go investigate and it just looked at you. I can just imagine what it was thinking. "Why don't you go investigate? You're the one with the opposable thumbs!"

Kudos to the new family for their positive attitude and best of luck to them.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
SirenBelva... I don't care if you were only 10 at the time, hearing something like that would freak out anyone! The drug dealers may have murdered the young man as an 'example' to others who owed them money. It isn't unusual in the criminal world for gangs and others to send warnings that way.
I wonder how those parents explained it to their kids, or if they just shifted the blame onto you somehow, saying that you had scared them.
Hopefully, the new family, filling the house with love, will be enough to help lift the unhappiness from there.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
Oh, I meant to mention: $15,000. People have been killed, and committed suicide, for owing far less than that to drug dealers. To drug dealers, when you owe them money, nothing is a "mere". (Not criticizing, okay? 😊)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
SirenBelva - what a sad story. I really hate when tragedies are so bad that they seep into the soul of the home and it affects everyone who lives there, even years later 😢

I cannot imagine a 10-year-old child having to endure that experience, let alone the smaller ones 😭 And I can't help but wonder how the parents explained that to their children. Even though it was a residual event, that doesn't matter. I'm sitting here running that scenario through my head, trying to imagine my son (12 on Halloween) and how he would react. Nope, even as aware and intune with this world as he is, that is not something I would want him to witness.

The Puerto Rican family has a wonderful attitude about the home. I just hope that's enough. I read something a couple of weeks, similar situation, and the subject of cleansing the home before moving in came up. I think in this situation that might not be a bad idea. I certainly don't think it could hurt, anyway. Just added "positivity" 😊

Thanks for sharing this. I truly wish them the best.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: