You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Blackened Church

Real Ghost Stories

The Blackened Church

 

I am Joshua. The following story was my first encounter with the paranormal.

Last year I went to help my grandmother move out of the church she owned near Yorba Linda, California. It was a small church, and one of... Unorthodox faith that could be construed as satanic in nature, strange horns, pentagrams, inverted crucifixes, items of that sort.

I was unaware of the nature of her worship until after I had agreed to help, and I am a man of my word. It took a few days to get everything out. Occasionally I would catch a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye, nothing spectacular, a shadow here or there and occasional bangs on the walls. But on the third day, almost everything was out save a painting of something I can't quite remember and a strange looking chair which was facing the majority of the room. When I looked at the chair I felt drawn to it. I slowly walked toward it, against my better judgement, and sat down in it and I felt all of my energy drain into the chair. I tried to get up, but found that I was almost glued to the chair, the only thing I could move was my head.

As I was trying to get up, my attention was drawn to clicking sounds on the floor. As I looked up I saw a black figure with crooked legs, almost like a goats or something, and it was walking toward me. As I saw this I tried with everything I had to move or get up but I couldn't, no matter how I tried. The figure came closer, and I just shut my eyes and hoped it would go away. The clicking sound got louder, and suddenly I heard someone call my name, and I opened my eyes and the figure had vanished. One of the other helpers was in the doorway and he asked me if I wanted to go get something to eat. I still was unable to move so I asked him to help me up. He came over and lifted me out of the chair and suddenly I had my energy back.

After that I hopped in my car and left. I was severely shaken up about it and I am curious about what I may have seen that day.

Other hauntings by savagepotato

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, savagepotato, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-10)
I might be the unpopular opinion here but I am throwing this out there. Have you considered this as a pagan/Wiccan religion as opposed to a satanic? I have recently discovered my faith as a Wiccan and a lot of these symbols are used for worship, such as the pentagram [which represents the elements, water, earth, fire, and air, as well as spirit] and the horns [which represents father god aka the sun god, who is often described as a man with horns]. These are often confused with each other and going off on what elnoraemily stated, satanics usually don't do a whole ritual while pegans/wiccans do. Anyone have any input? Can you describe these objects more?
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-10)
Following the lead of Rook, I had a friend that just being around her could suck the energy out of you (she was actually a sociopath and just generally unpleasant). I think that cause of that, though, was just knowing she was unpleasant and it would just suck the happy out of you.

I have the feeling that your grandmother dabbled in a lot of strange stuff and maybe she took it a bit too far at times. Maybe you just picked up on her negativity?

Mandy, no worries:) I have done that many times on my phone.
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-09)
Oh dear, elnoraemily, upon scrolling through comments on my phone the other day, it appears i've accidentally down-voted your last comment 😭 sorry about that! I can't fix it so if someone could maybe up-vote it for me that would be great!

I'm sorry I have nothing to add to this story. The other posters have it covered! Hopefully all is well with you, savagepotato (love the name btw).
savagepotato (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
Now that you mention yeah there have been a couple times whete I suddenly felt drained for no apparent reason, but not to such an extent that I couldn't move, that day was the first time I have ever had that happen.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
Information is good, it helps tell us everything that was happening during your experience and gives us clues that may lead to just what that experience really was.

Question...

On other visits to your Grandmother did you ever feel drained in the same manner as when you sat in that chair? If not around your Grandmother specifically then maybe around one of her friends?

What you described sounds like what a psychic vampire can do do a person so I am wondering why that may be.

Respectfully,

Rook
savagepotato (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
And yes that was it, Honestly I don't know a whole lot about this stuff I'm just trying to give you guys informatio. I don't know what she was up to, there were all sorts of books about a lot of different things. I have the feeling that she dabbled in quite a few unsavory things. But its jyst a feeling.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
The Necronomicon, maybe?

If so, she's a part of a HP Lovecraft cult, also known as the creator of Cthulu.

All of his works were pure fiction (though brilliantly written) and his books literally spawned a religious following.
savagepotato (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
Valkricri, She never did tell me the actual name, though when I asked her what a particular set of strange almost goat horns but a little different she said they were devils horns, I don't know if she was trying to mess with my head but yeah, I also found a book, it was necro something necronomicus or something Id know the name if I heard it again.
Elnoraemily, the chair seemed very sinuous and kind of emitted this vibe like hey you don't want to sit in me. It had some crazy looking designs on it and stuff, I can't really describe them.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
What about the chair made it appear strange? What did it look like?
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
Joshua,
You said, "It was a small church, and one of... Unorthodox faith that could be construed as satanic in nature..." Not to get too personal but it made me curious as to whether your Grandmother had ever told you what her faith was? I know in your account you said you were unaware of the 'nature' of her worship, until you helped her move, but to be clearer, I wondered if she ever 'named' it (like Catholic, Jewish, etc?) I only ask because that could go a long way in explaining the symbols you saw.
savagepotato (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
Rook while that would be a viable solution had I not been able to sleep, I would like to say that, as I have had trouble sleeping unaided for several years now, I have a prescription which helps me get a full 8 hours, and I have been on this prescription for about 4 years, I can assure you I was fully rested, and also I am capable of working 16 hour days as my job then sometimes required it, I would not have been so tired having only worked around 5 hours, I am not trying to shoot down any other possibilities, just, providing more information, I thank you for your theory, but I do not think that is the case. It could be who knows.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
You have asked for an explination of how you... A self professed insomniac... May have been very tired after a "few days" of helping your Grandmother move.

Well here is my idea of what may have happened...

After helping move furnature and other items for a few days you were tired... You felt drawn to one of the remaining chairs to rest a couple of moments and you felt your energy leave you because of how tired you actually were. You happened to 'doze off' and after a short nap your friend called out and woke you up. Because of your beleifs the dream you had at the time incorperated sounds from the Real World cauueing you to 'expererance' the scraching you hearda
savagepotato (2 stories) (10 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
I am aware of the use of the pentagram in pagan beliefs, however, I would like to point out the fact that the swastika orginally a symbol for peace was adopted by the nazis and is now synonomous with that particular regime, also a detail I would like to point out is that I have trouble sleeping at all without medicine so it is unlikely that I spontaniously fell asleep in the chair I was strangely drawn to. Please if you may, explain that away. Also, when I do sleep I am difficult to wake up. A rather heavy sleeper, so I find it odd that I would snap awake at the simple call of my name, and still not be able to move. Plus, my energy didn't return until I was no longer touching the chair.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
I think stories like this show that the power of belief can be extremely powerful, even if the symbols themselves have no evil in them. Believing that they do can affect you, as well.

Which is a very interesting study into human psychology.
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
I just happened to read the story and wanted to correct some misconceptions some people may have about symbol. First, the pentagram is not a symbol of evil, it is both a pagan and early Christian symbol (probably adopted from pagan) of either the 5 senses (pagan) or the 5 wounds of Christ (Christian). A Pentacle is a magic symbol or talisman. And the reverse cross is for St Peter (who was hanged upside down).
I would agree with Elnoraemily, Savagepotato, I thing you fell asleep and were affected by what you thought might be Satanic symbols and had bad dreams/sleep paralysis.
elnoraemily (guest)
+3
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
I am a bit confused, but since you are Catholic, I would have assumed you knew that the Pope often uses the inverted cross?
Saint Peter was crucified upside down because he saw himself an inferior to Christ and did not want to die in the same fashion.
One of the Papal thrones even has the inverted cross on it. It's actually given rise to odd-ball conspiracy theories that the Pope is a Satanist lately. It's not at all indicative of a sect, but of the whole.

Some Lutheran churches use it in their imagery as well, but it's not as popular among Lutherans.

If any Satanist sect, those that are still even around, use the cross, it's in an act of mockery, not in an act of worship. Actual Satanic rituals are actually very small and simple. Typically, all that is used are a chant and a candle, along with a ceremonial dish.

They are far more likely to use the sigil of Satan, which even though most people think it's a pentagram, it's actually a much simpler shape of a triangle with flares at the bottom.

I read too much. It's either a blessing or a curse, depending on the topic.

These symbols are misconstrued in the same way that everyone thinks Satanists are obsessed with human sacrifice, when really, they see life as the most sacred of all things (there are a few small blood sacrifices). They also try to use the LaVeyan Satanic Bible as a source, when LaVeyan Satanism (which uses a pentagram symbol and other symbols in its texts) does not even believe in Satan- it's an atheistic belief system that uses the self-worship from Satanism. They use the symbols ironically.
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
Color me with any name you want, that sounds CREEPEE. I disagree with elnoraemily, pentagrams ARE symbolic of satan-worship. Pentacles, on the other hand, are pagan. The difference is the position of the point. In pagan worship, the point is UPwards. I have never heard of anyone worshiping St Peter by use of the inverted cross, but perhaps there's an oddball sect out there who does. (Color me sceptical at this point)

Wow--your granny was into some weird stuff...but, hey, I'm Catholic, & we 'consume' the 'body of Christ', & to outsiders, I'm sure that's freaky-deaky-'cannabalism'. (Many Protestant Chrisian churches use bread & water or wine that have been Blessed to do similar rituals, it's not uncommon. We simply hope to 'absorb' the Perfection of Christ by participation)

If I were you, I would shy away from objects that exhibit uncomfortable energy. As the other posters implied... It is the INTENTION of the use of the object that can be dangerous. Energy drainage is EXTREMELY dangerous. It can create many disturbances in the body, up to & including death.

Here's wishing you Peace, Love, & Balance.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
Honestly, it sounds like you just feel asleep and had a bad dream/sleep paralysis. How you describe getting tired beforehand, really, it seems like you just passed out.

Pentagrams are not Satanic.It's a symbol of peace, nature, mysticism and the elements. Mormons use them in temple artwork all the time. It's pagan in it's history, but it's not indicative of evil.

The inverted cross is also not Satanic. The inverted cross is a symbol of Saint Peter. The inverted cross being used to worship Satan is a pop-culture myth.

Horns are used in every Abrahamic religion and others. They are not Satanic.

I think that you let your imagination go wild a bit with this, or let yourself think that these things were evil.

I am with Nectarvore on the blessing/smudging, just in case.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
It could've been an intelligent entity, like, one with its own agenda and will. It could also have been the manifestation of the intent and energy infused within the place. A culmination of magickal intent that has grown strong enough to manifest in a visual and audial form. Whatever it was it sounds menacing. I'd definately smudge yourself with white sage. Your car too, if you helped move occultic artifacts. The museum of Witchcraft, in Boscastle, SouthWest England aquires the majority of their artifacts from deceased estate. Namely, relatives with an eccentric relative who dies leaving a room like what you described. I laughed when they told me that. The normal family that's like " I'm not touching it. Remove and keep everything "... Yeah. Tools and artifacts become charged with intention. That's how magick works. All the universe is only energy. So be careful what you handle. Sounds like that chair hair some serious bad juju, mate. No doubt the fear mongering, God loving demon brigade will be all over this one.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: