You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Late Night At Work

Real Ghost Stories

Late Night At Work

 

I had a very strange experience last night and thought I would share it.

I have an industrial kitchen unit in a modern building which sits on the battlefield of The Battle of Shrewsbury 1403. Prior to last night other staff have had some weird happenings, such as the break time bell going off even though nobody was in the office where the only controller for the bell is located. I have caught movement out of the corner of my eye several times yet nobody else has been in the building. We've all kind of just thought "that's strange" and got on with it.

Last night was a whole new level of strange. Myself and an employee were working a late one. Midway through the night there was a loud bang. We turned around to see the lid off a screw top plastic tub explode off into the air (3-4 feet in the air) and land about a metre away.

That's not all...

About 6 months ago when we were doing a deep clean. Along the corners of where the walls meet the ceiling is where all the cooking fats and grim are concentrated. It's a brown grease I guess.

As a marker, my mate wrote his name (ROB) with his finger into the brown grease. We then cleaned around it and use the letters as a marker to see how dirty the corners are getting. The area in question is about 20 ft up from the floor, we don't have a ladder or anything to reach up there and had to borrow a big one when we cleaned.

It's just like writing your name into a dirty white coloured car. The area your finger has been reveals the clean paintwork, the surrounding area is still dirty.

Ok, so last night we were talking about the lid popping off the tub and were joking about "the ghost", coming up with a name, etc. About 30 seconds later I was walking past the area where ROB is written and something made me look up. I looked up and saw that the image had completely reversed, i.e. The letters were written in dirt and the background was pure clean white. Using the car analogy again, its like some had filled in the letters with dirt, washed the car and left the word "ROB" in dirt. It was very prominent just like writing a word with a black pen on white paper.

So, we both freaked out a bit, looked at it for ages... There was no explanation.

We finished work around 01:30 and went home. Upon arriving back at work (8am this morning), we looked at it again. IT'S GONE! What was pure, clean white is now brown again and the letters are faded!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Willsandp, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Willsandp (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-15)
I had plans to instal some CCTV, maybe I'll speed that idea up.
I was just doing some quick research and there were quite a number of Roberts killed in the Battle of Shrewsbury. One was a high profile figure who I would have thought would have been positioned towards the back of the front line attack. This would have been roughly where our building sits.
I'm wondering if it was some form of communication after we were talking about a name for the ghost?

We were also talking to the chief from the restaurant at the front of the building and while he hasnt seen anything as prominent as we did, he was saying that he regularly notices unusual things. For example, every morning he comes in and he is sure that the chairs around the tables have moved. One chair is always rotated 90 degrees from the table.
He also regularly hears movement from upstairs when nobody is there.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-14)
Good account Willsandp and welcome to YGS. I can picture exactly what you're talking about and do think you've got some activity going on considering the more recent things that have been happening.

Maybe you should think about setting up some kind of video equipment to see if you can catch anything.

Hope to hear more from you.
Nightwish13 (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-13)
that is interesting... Though you said 4 keyholders but only mentioned 3... Or was that a typo? I'm inclined to believe it I mean that would take a lot of work to be a prank... I would say it could be light play or tired eyes playing tricks but you are very adament and sure...
Willsandp (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-13)
I've obviously not explained properly.

The letters were white, the background was light brown. It changed that evening to the complete reverse. It then changed back to exactly how it was originally. This all happened within an evening.
It's 6 meters up in the corner of the room and we don't have a ladder or any furniture that would be high enough to allow anyone of human size to reach.

I own the business and there are only 4 key holders. One is my mother, the other is the guy who was with me at the time and the 3rd is myself.

If it was a prank it would mean that:

At some point in the day my 57 year old 5ft2 mother somehow managed to climb 6 meters up a wall without a ladder and without the 6 people who were in the room noticing. She would then have to clean around the letters without smudging at all until it was spotlessly clean.

Then between the hours of 01:30 and 08:00 she would have got out of bed, driven 6 miles to the unit, climbed up the wall again, cleaned the letters and then some how painted dirt around them again without it looking any different to how it was before.

I have been through every secnario I can think of, there is no explination. We both saw it so its not like I'm going crazy!
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-13)
haha I noticed that too elnoraemily! Great minds think a like:p
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-13)
I am with ifihadyoux on this one (I am just agreeing with you all day today, apparently 😜).

If the area about it was cleaned, a layer of grease would still be where the letters are. That means the letters themselves were greasy. They would collect more obviously grime faster than they clean areas around them.
Someone could have easily found that scenario gross and cleaned it (I would have).
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-13)
Do you have security at your place of work? My suggestion would be to ask them or see if there are any tapes of what happened in that location. I honestly think someone saw the name and decided to play a joke on you guys.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: