You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: It Wasn't The Dog, So What Was It?

Real Ghost Stories

It Wasn't The Dog, So What Was It?

 

I've been reading stories on this site for a while but this is my first time submitting one. First of all, let me give you a little background information. I am 24 and I recently (last month) moved in with my sister and nephew after having lost my job due to a knee injury. My room is on the second floor, down a hallway at the back of the house. We're right on the Baltimore County/City line, and the house is relatively old, built in the mid-1800's I'm told. We live with a number of animals; one dog, one cat, four fish, and seven guinea pigs. My sister works, and my nephew is school-aged, so I primarily care for the animals when I'm home during the day. I don't mind except for the fact that the dog (she's a Boston Terrier) has an obnoxious habit of clawing at my door when she gets bored. I think she does it because she can smell the guinea pigs, four of which live in the room with me. As a precaution I always keep my door shut whether I'm in the room or not.

Yesterday I woke up at 7:30 and started my daily chore list which includes putting both the dog and the cat outside. I usually let them back in an hour or so later, depending on the weather. Anyway, both animals had gone out, and I was upstairs in my room drinking coffee (also part of the normal routine) when I heard the dog scratching furiously at my door, which was shut as usual. I started to get irritated at the noise and the intensity of the scratching, as both were increasing, so I jumped up and threw open the door, intending to scold the dog. She was, of course, not there. This is when I realized that she was still outside. I made a thorough search of the house, every room, under the beds, behind the couch, looking for either the dog or the cat, convinced one of them must have gotten in somehow. There was no sign of either animal anywhere in the house. I went outside next, and the dog was on her leash just as I'd left her. When I called for the cat it took a few minutes but he came running from the direction of our neighbor's home (he likes to mess with their cat every chance he gets) so I was now certain that neither animal had been in the house. This left me quite perplexed, as the scratching had been clear as day, and as I mentioned it was intense, not the type of sound one might imagine. I also knew that the guinea pigs could not be responsible, as they were in their cages, and it certainly wasn't the fish, for obvious reasons.

I was trying to think of a logical explanation, as I am generally a pretty skeptical person, when I recalled something my nephew said to me a few weeks ago. My nephew is five and quite imaginative, but he's not given to making up tall tales for attention. Anyway, he told me very seriously (almost like he was afraid he'd get in trouble) that he had seen something with red eyes under his bed. At the time I found it strange, because the dog sleeps in my sister's room, no exceptions, and the cat sleeps on the screened-in front porch, but I told him it was probably just a nightmare. Now I'm not so sure.

I am a skeptic, as I stated above, and while I'm not sure how to label these experiences I have no problem admitting that I don't have an explanation. It makes me wonder though... Is there something other than our pets in the house with us? I haven't discussed it with my sister yet, as she is an even bigger skeptic than myself, so I figured I'd see if anyone out there has any ideas.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DrPickle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-23)
I think Dip summed this up quite nicely 8 months ago. So please excuse me for my next comment...

Time to be a Blue Meanie...

Devilchild,

First: What is a shifter?

Second: Blaming poor spelling on dyslexia would be fine... If this was a HAND WRITTEN LETTER. Spell check is a WONDERFUL THING and its built into the 'comment submission box'.

Respectfully,

Rook
devilschild (4 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-08-23)
I am a belever as I can see talk and fill a ghost around don't bealeve me then that's fine but I think you may have a shifter in your home a demond or a spiret that needs help and wonts attesion sorry for spelling as I'm disalxic ❤ xx
Dip1904 (115 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-04)
for argument's sake I say that there is something that cannot be explained within the normal realm of logic. In that case, two things are to be noted... Till the point you have mentioned your story - nothing dynamically harmful (god forbid) hasn't occurred to you nor the frequency of occurence has been high. In such a situation, try to seek out a repeat of the event you mention.

Additionally dogs / animals runs with a sixth sense of anything out of the extraordinary - note their body language as well, in different moments during the whole day... Whether they react with anything particular... This would require more than one day's observation... And don't sign off even if nothing happens after 3 days... Just keep a sense of alert. That's all...
Most importantly,...do not panic if anything non-pleasant happens (though its easier said than done but you've to do it) . Just keep up your observation... Remember - a problem, always has a solution and for someone to take note (most likely by another skeptic) ... You must have ample supporting evidence and a strong mind (in order to take observations and stay focussed during non pleasant moments) to take the discussions further.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-02)
It does sound like a rat. Their eyes glow red in the dark. And they aren't driven off by a cat's or dog's scent. Dogs and cats notice paranormal things, but they growl or bark at it. Thankyou for trusting our opinions so much.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-02)
Did you check for any rodent problems perhaps? It could explain both the scratching and what your nephew saw under the bed. And when it was scratching, did you hear a dog groaning or barking?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: