You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Lesson Learned

Real Ghost Stories

A Lesson Learned

 

The story I'm about to tell you was told to me by my grandfather. I can't recall the whole conversation we had that day but I think I had made a comment to my grandpa that there was no hell. Let me tell you, after what he told me, I do believe in the devil and in hell.

He told me that back in Mexico where he and his parents had lived, they had a neighbor. The neighbors were an older couple and their 30 something year old son. I can't remember the son's name so let's just call him David. David was a big time alcoholic. Everyday he would drink until he was almost passed out. The neighbors would always see him walking the streets drunk and screaming "Devil, show me your face" I'm guessing he didn't believe in him either and was just taunting the devil. Over and over after getting drunk, he would always scream "Devil, show yourself".

Well one day, my great grandmother heard a knock on her door. She opened it and it was David's mother. She had asked my great grandma if she had seen David, And that he has been missing for hours. My great grandma said she hasn't seen him all day. After long hours of searching for David, they finally found him.

They found him in this field full of cacti. He was stuck on top of the tallest one! I'm guessing the thorns were keeping him up. Once they took him down (don't ask me how!) David was so scared and told everyone that while he was walking the streets, drinking of course, this man who he said to have looked human raised his arm towards the sky. And as the man did that, that's when David flew up to the top of the cacti.

David said he didn't know who the man was, but somehow believed him to be the devil. I'm guessing because he would always scream for the devil to show himself. After that day he stopped drinking altogether and let's just say he doesn't ask the devil to show himself anymore.

So now I'm wondering if it was something good or bad? Maybe the devil or maybe something good? Maybe it was the devil teaching him a lesson and that he does exist or maybe something good, so that David could stop drinking. Someone help me out.

Other hauntings by vickifigueroa

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vickifigueroa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ghostluver1523 (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-25)
im not really sure about this story but I do believe that the devilk would show him self or let a demon be shown so I'm not sure what it was
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-01)
Hi Vicki.
It never ceases to amaze me that some people feel they must tempt the Fates.
I have not read the other comments, but I have to answer your question, before someone else's reply changes what it is that I am thinking about this story. 😉
As to your question "...if it was something good or bad?" I can not answer on whether it was the devil or another entity trying to teach David a lesson. I believe there is a good and evil. I believe that sometimes something intercedes on behalf of the Great Spirit or of Evil, and only because there are other things (for lack of a better phrase) "more important" than messing with humans. I can not fathom an all powerful, omnipotent being reaching down, or up, to interfere with the conscience of human kind. I think that is why we all were given a conscience, whether we chose to use it or not.
With that said, I believe something good was at work here. David had problems that were far bigger than a person could fix for him. He was on a very dangerous road that could have only lead to self destruction, so whatever, or whoever helped him get his back side full of thorns ended up doing something wonderful for him. Sometimes our wake up calls are virtually painless, other times they are a pain in the... 😊
I do not know, that is just my opinion, for what it is worth. Thank you for the story.
vickifigueroa (5 stories) (34 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-23)
And I completely agree with you on this one,Ms. Emma! Thanks for your comment. 😊
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-23)
I'm Mexican and I was raised Catholic. Throughout my childhood, I've heard many "devilish" tales from various family members that took place in Mexico/Texas (maybe I'll post them here now that I think of it). In fact, the stories I heard were somewhat similar to this one. Although my religion has changed (I'm now Muslim), the evilness that the Devil conjours up is still very much signifant to me. As sure as hell (pun intended), you wouldn't find me in a drunken fit walking down the streets challenging the Devil. Whether it was God or the Devil, this man needed a sting in rear to get him sober and off the streets.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
I really like OW interpretation. Reminds me of "La Lorna" a cautionary tale. Can you verify for that story? BTW Ohiowatha Catholism changes from person to person and culture to culture just like Judaism does. I was raised roman Catholic here is Sac and the devil was not prominent in our teachings!
vickifigueroa (5 stories) (34 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
Hey Ohio...
I really don't even know myself...
If anyone can help us out a little, would be much appreciated! 😆
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
Hmmm, sounds like an anti-drinking story to scare kids straight to me. My grandma used to tell me stories to control my behavior, too.

Anyway, Vicki, maybe you can lend me some insight--why is "the devil" such a prominent negative force in Mexican culture. Half the stories on here from Mexico involve the devil or demons, while other cultures like Judaism do not believe in him at all. Just curious as to if you could shed some light on this trend for me. Is it due to Catholicism?

Thanks much!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
I do believe there is a Satan and there is a God. I also believe the forces of good and evil try to counter act each other constantly.

I don' think either could be taunted in to revealing themselves by a drunken mas ramblings. Perhaps it was a force from either side that wanted him to stop before he caised real harm and danger.

God Bless!
vickifigueroa (5 stories) (34 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
Yea you guys are right... Had to be something good if it helped him to quit drinking. I'm sad that it took for him to fall on a cactus to realize this but hey, he was a changed man haha 😜
Rosemary (35 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
I believe personally it could have been God who did this to David.
I think he may have gotten sick of him getting drunk and saying the things he did and he may have appeared and did this to him to teach him a lesson.
And of course something good did come of it when he was scared into stopping drinking and I think not only his parents but the neighbors are grateful for this occurrance.
paggark (4 stories) (25 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
Great story Vicki, satan probably wanted to punish him for calling out for him after a long time maybe even do more damage then throwing him to the top of the cacti. Lucky for David he didn't suffer from serious damage by the man. Love your story by the way ^-^ bye
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
I can not help you with the devil Vicki as I do not believe in him. I believe there is evil yes, but I believe it to be something other than what is described in the bible. If it were truely satan that showed himself to this David, why would he throw him on top of a cacti? Why not take over his body and make him do crazier things than just drink. Granted if the story is true and David was thrown on top of a cacti by something or someone and he was able to change his ways because of it, well I would say that was a good thing, wouldn't you? Maybe the Divine was watching over him that day. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: