You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: A Lesson For The Prankster

Real Ghost Stories

A Lesson For The Prankster

 

The experiences I am about to relate, happened a long time ago and are seen through the eyes of a naΓ―ve 11 year old boy. In my attempt to stick to the truth, there may be parts that are vague, please just put this down to father time defeating my old memory.

I am the 11 year old, with two brothers (Bro-P and Bro-A) being five and six years older, my mother (the lady of the manor) and my father (the muscle behind the lady).

On Christmas day, we are all bundled into the family car and make the journey to the 'Wild, Wild West' of Sydney, to spend the day with all our cousins. We would open our presents, do the occasional swap, have Christmas Dinner, say our goodbyes and head home.

The Christmas of 1968 was different. Bro-P cautiously picked up a present from one of our uncles, he carefully unwrapped his present, took one look at the cover on the box and quickly wrapped it back up. This was unusual as all presents had that 'pesky' wrapping paper ripped off and the presents laid bare for all to see.

The present was to remain a mystery from me for days, until I tried to get into our bedroom and found the door locked from the inside. I banged on the door and told the intruders to let me in. My demands were met with a few 'Bugger Offs' mixed with 'Go and play on the road'. I countered with 'I'm going to get Dad' which always did the trick. The door was opened, Bro-A dragged me into the room and sat me down next to Bro-P.

The mystery was solved (or was it?), there before me was a 'Parker Brothers' board - it had been folded out, was a light sandy colour, old fashioned shiny letters and a plastic heart shaped 'pointer'. I asked my brothers 'Where are the Dice?' to which they laughed and said it was an Ouija Board.

My two brothers put their index fingers on the pointer and told me to gently do the same. As soon as my finger touched the pointer, it moved and started going from letter to letter and then pause. Bro-A stated the word it had just spelt and the pointer moved on. As the session went on, my panic levels started to rise. It was describing an argument I had with the school bully which ended with me getting a broken nose and (WHAT!) the bully walking away untouched. At this point my finger came off the pointer and I yelled at whatever was telling the story to get their facts straight (I gave the bully a nice black eye for his efforts).

I stormed out of my own bedroom accompanied by the laughter of my two brothers. I went out into the backyard to cool off and saw my dad raking up grass clippings and putting them in the 'furnace' to be burnt off later. He came over to me and asked 'What's wrong?' I told him that there seemed to be another story circulating about my meeting with the school bully. The next question seemed innocent enough. 'When did you hear this?' I replied 'Oh just then'. He stumped off back into the house and it remained remarkably quiet for some time.

I knew something was not right. Dad's face told me he was angry. If dad got angry, there would be tiles flying off our roof and bricks falling out of the walls but the house remained silent and undamaged. I figured that I hadn't 'dobbed anyone in' after all. However, dinner that night was a very quiet affair, with the end being signalled by mum instructing us 'boys' to play in the bedroom, while she had a talk to dad.

This was getting scary; I trudged into my bedroom and was ordered to sit down by my brothers. The Ouija Board was laid out as before but this time I was seated on the outside. This arrangement did not last long, the door opened and dad stepped in and sat down next to me.

'I'm joining in this time', he announced. I looked at the faces in the room. Bro-P had a stunned look on his face, Bro-A was smiling at dad and dad was grinning at Bro-A. Something was up but I felt secure sitting next to dad so I just stared at the board.

Dad's attention now turned to Bro-P. 'Read the instructions out loud and don't miss anything' to which Bro-P sullenly complied. Apart from finding out that the pointer was called a 'planchette', the instructions sounded like a load of hocus pocus and I started to lose interest in the whole concept. Words became a blur as I went from boredom towards sleep.

I was literally jolted out of this state when the planchette started to move, I realised that somehow my finger was connected to this thing, again. It felt totally different this time, both speed wise and lightness of movement. Dad and Bro-A were working together to tell the story of a girl that Bro-P had known before she had passed away in a car accident. Bro-P had not treated her well and it appeared that she was determined to tell us her story in detail.

The planchette moved back to the spot where it started and dad mumbled something like 'I release you from this world'. He then stood up, ordered that the board and all other parts be put back in the box, which he then confiscated and took a step out the door.

He stopped, looked at me and said 'Well, come on, we've got things to do'. I was up in a flash and following dad out into the backyard. We passed mum who asked 'Is everything now fixed?' Dad said that we'd have to see 'The Reverend' on Sunday but that was ok.

We were able to navigate the backyard in the dark by the glow coming from the furnace. Dad must have started burning the grass clippings before dinner. The box was dropped straight into the flames and that was the end of the Ouija Board but not the lesson.

While the flames devoured the board, dad laid open as much of the events as he dared.

The modified story of my altercation with the school bully was devised and carried out by Bro-P (the Prankster) on the board, just for a laugh at my expense. Tonight was different, whatever had control of the planchette intended to punish the Prankster and succeeded.

He asked me what I thought of 'the spook' tonight. I told him that she made me sad and I hoped she was now at peace. He looked at me for a long time and then told me the moral of tonight's episode - 'Don't go fooling around with things that can be bigger, meaner and more powerful than you could possibly imagine'.

He also told me that I could go down the beach with Bro-A on Sunday while he took the Prankster to see 'The Reverend'. Wow, he really was going to see someone big, mean and powerful (times two).

Other hauntings by Rex-T

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rex-T, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
 
5 years ago (2018-10-27)
Hello Rex-T,

I'm sorry to hear about your prankster brother. 😒

I hope he gets well and recovers quickly.

Best wishes,
Miandra
😘 ❀ 😘
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-27)
Hi Miandra,

Your timing is superb.

I just got back from visiting my prankster brother, who has spent the last week in hospital recovering from open heart surgery (replacement of valves damaged by an infection).

I started giving him a lecture about the fact that he is now in his sixties (not twenties) and he needs to grow up and start taking care of himself. My brother cut my lecture short by telling me that he is a "changed man". I looked sideways at him and muttered "hallelujah", he looked at me and grinned.

Yeah, he's still a sick boy but once a prankster, always a prankster. πŸ˜‰

Rex-T
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+2
5 years ago (2018-10-26)
Hello Rex-T,

Sounds like growing up with your brothers was similar to me growing up with mine. You never knew what awaited you from one corner to the next in terms of fun, pranks, games, jokes and joys.

Thanks for sharing your post and your childhood. It took me back to mine. Good memories. 😊

Regards,
Miandra
😘 ❀ 😘
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
Miracles,

Welcome back to YGS.

I'm only just starting to appreciate how difficult and consuming a YGS Moderator's job can be. I also realize that both you and Val must be doing this for love of the 'site' and the majority of us posters.

Hey, you may have been closer to the mark than what you think, with Bro-B. My dad once confided in me that even though he was his favorite son, he had referred to him as a 'little B*gger' on more than one occasion. 😠

As far as 'The Reverend' is concerned, yes, he was scary (fire and brimstone sermons), coupled with baleful stares from dad and it's a wonder my brother didn't return a nervous wreck. Without getting too preachy (pardon the pun) the 'take out' is "don't play around with Ouija Boards, because the consequences may be more than you can afford". 😲

Thank you for your comments and keep an eye out for my comments on your last experience.

Regards
Rex-T
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
Good grief - I have got to proofread before hitting publish! Bro-P, not Bro-B.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
Rex-T - I've been away from the site for too long. I am sorry I missed this when it was first published. I was enthralled from beginning to end; I felt like I was there.

Thank you for sharing this with us and poor Bro-B. Being taken to see "The Reverend" sounds a lot scarier than the Ouija board LOL
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-28)
Rex-T - I sometimes feel that it's so sad that the only people who can explain away some of our simplest questions are those who are no longer here to do so. Why don't we ask them these questions when we're younger and they're still amongst us?

There are so many questions that I would love to ask my grandparents about things which happened in my family and now the answers are simply buried in the annals of history.

If you had asked your father the question about the OB a few years after the event, he would probably have given you a very honest, straightforward answer. At the time he probably considered you too young and your brother needed to be taught a lesson.

Regards, Melda
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-28)
Yeah publicways, as I was saying to Rook, I felt like that for a long time.

What got me doubting was why dad sacrificed one of his 'golf days' to take my prankster brother to see 'The Reverend'.

Thanks for Reading
Rex-T
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2017-12-28)
Thanks Rook for reading and you summed up how I felt for a long time, the Prankster's trick on me and Dad showing him a 'bit of wisdom'... But this feeling kept nagging me that it wasn't that simple.

Eventually I put it down to the movement of the planchette. Dad was not a subtle person and didn't know his own strength. In boxing terms, he was built like Joe Frazier - not Muhammad Ali.

I just couldn't accept that the planchette was manipulated by dad to 'move like a butterfly and sting like a bee'. Having said that, I'm no expert on this subject as I never participated again.

By the way, I love your term 'punked'. I have a couple of other names but I think the site would filter them out!

Hope you're having a relaxing break
Rex-T
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-12-28)
Melda,

It is the only explanation that makes sense.

Dad would not talk about what he did on the Kokoda Trail or anywhere else in Papua New Guinea. My third uncle was in the Military Police and he would sometimes open up and give me snippets of what the Aussies and the Americans 'got up to' when they were on R&R.

Now I can imagine people getting their fingers burnt using that board during that era of destruction.

Thanks
Rex-T
publicways (32 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-28)
Sounds like your brothers and father were having some fun at your expense. Both times.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-12-27)
Rex-T,

I mean no offence but is it remotely possible that your Father 'punked' your Brother the way he punked you?

You stated this...

"'I'm joining in this time', he announced. I looked at the faces in the room. Bro-P had a stunned look on his face, Bro-A was smiling at dad and dad was grinning at Bro-A. Something was up but I felt secure sitting next to dad so I just stared at the board."

And

"It felt totally different this time, both speed wise and lightness of movement. Dad and Bro-A were working together to tell the story..."

I get the impression that your Father...

A) knew about the board as a gift, but because it was a gift did not outright dispose of it.

B) Was upset at Brother 'P' for using it to mess with you

And

C) was determined to teach Brother 'P' a lesson AND get rid of the unwelcome gift in a single blow.

It doesn't matter if any 'CONTACT' was made, however I do not think there was a spirit involved when your Brothers 're-told' the story of your bully incident... And if there was a spirit involved when you and your brothers used the Board with your Father, well let's just say it makes me curious to know just how much he knew about not only the Board but other 'Paranormal' things and Spirits?

Thanks for sharing... Still not sure if this was a double 'punk' with a lesson attached or a 'punk' on you with corrective action by your Father. Either way thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-27)
Rex-T - I think you've answered your own question. Perhaps your dad didn't take part in any of the sessions when he was in the Marines but witnessed some nasty things happening to one or two of the participants. The only way to prevent burnt fingers is to keep them away the heat! 😨

Regards, Melda
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-27)
Thanks Melda for reading,

I do remember mum telling dad to have a serious chat with 'that brother of yours'. Dad escaped getting 'the silent treatment' from mum, so he must have obeyed.

My unanswered question is how did dad know what to do? I do remember being told that he spent some of his R&R with the US Marines, some of which, were keen OB practitioners.

Keep in Touch
Rex-T
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-12-27)
Rex-T - I hope your dad gave the offending uncle a piece of his mind as well. It always amazes me that some adults think its okay to give a child a ouija board as a gift.

What comes around goes around eh? I don't think Bro P was a happy camper for a while! However, lesson learnt.

Regards, Melda
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-12-26)
Agree lady-glow, 'instant karma' indeed.

I'm glad if people understand that these things can seem like a bit of fun but can become very dangerous - very quickly.

We were lucky that it did give one poor soul release.

Thanks lady-glow for reading and the best of Xmas Cheer for you and your family.

PS. Thanks to Manafon for his account in 'The Open Door of a Ouija Board' which sparked my memory and allowed me to write my experience.

Warm Regards
Rex-T
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-26)
That's what I would call instant karma.

Rex-T: I bet most people from our generation 'played' the OB as kids. I'm glad your Father destroyed the toy before anything bad really happened, but after it was put to good use.
It sounds like that young woman was in need of telling her story in order to find peace.

Fascinating experience.
Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: